WBB TOURNEY: Cyclones in "first four out"

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Today's Creme update has West Virginia as part of the "last four in" (along with Iowa :mad:), Iowa State still in the "first four out." That's total crap when you look at the numbers. The only thing WVU has is more overall wins and THAT's only because they played a non-con schedule with 8 teams having an RPI of 245 or worse (and only two teams in the top 100). There was a reason WVU won their first 13 games this year: it was pathetically easy. At this point, if we don't make it, they shouldn't make it. We SWEPT them by a combined 40 points.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
One big thing we have to overcome is that we have only one win away from Hilton. 1-7 is pretty bad even if we can beat a bad Kansas team tonight. WVU is 5-6 away from home.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
WVU was also about 9 spots higher on the rpi list as well, but the latest rankings as of yesterday's games have us only 3 spots below them.
And their SOS is about 30 spots below ISU. Honestly, there is NOTHING on their resume' that indicates they should be in and we should not at this point.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I wouldn't get too hung up on SOS when also looking at RPI, since SOS is already factored into that. Their SOS might be lower, but we lost two of our three non-conference games against tournament-quality teams.

Not disagreeing with you otherwise, though.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And their SOS is about 30 spots below ISU. Honestly, there is NOTHING on their resume' that indicates they should be in and we should not at this point.

They are now 6-6 away from Morgantown. We are 2-7 away from Ames. It's kinda of a push when you throw out our two games against each other and I am not thinking the NCAA gives a crap about head-to-head tie breakers. They have been better on the road. We have been better the last few weeks. Both will count. We could really help our dismal road record by winning a couple in Okie City. Or in Austin, taller order but not as crazy as it seemed two weeks ago. A strong finish looks now like it might be enough to make up for not leaving the state until league play.

If we finish 8-10 and they finish 9-9 I think we are both in. Think it would hard to take one and not the other unless we both go 0-2 to finish, then it's a who the hell knows wait till Monday night selection time.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Today's bracketology has West Virginia, Iowa State, and Iowa all on the outside looking in from the 'first four out' group. Northern Iowa is in the 'next four out' group.

Last edited:

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Creme has traditionally underestimated the league's perception by the committee, but who knows what happens when those doors close.

Texas beating FSU has helped us a lot. KSU beating OU helped us too.

We don't have a win over 1 of the top 3 teams in this league, and that is our biggest stumbling block.

We may play Texas better than when they were in Ames, but their Frosh post has really blossomed this season. After losing two games in a row, I don't see a win for us in the cards in Austin, but ya never know...

I think 8-10 in Big 12, plus at least one win in the Big 12 would put ISU in the dance.

By my estimation, we are going to be the 5 seed playing the 4 seed KSU in the tournament. IF a W - we are in, if a L, maybe not.

I don't know how in the hell Creme puts Auburn and Indiana in over WV or ISU. They have lost 6 of their last 7, lost to both big 12 teams. and Indiana's has ZERO good noncon wins, and best RPI wins are against Michigan and Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Charlie Creme‏@CharlieCreme
Put Iowa St into the field now after a monumental win. Impressed by how Cyclones answered the Texas late run. Doubly impressive on the road.

"Doubly impressive on the road" part was what pretty much blows up the bubble for us. The win and playing this well late has slowly but surely smashed best argument against us, our record away from Hilton. Likely just a question of seeding and location now if we take care of OSU..

With that we have been paying too much attention to these forecasting guys as they usually **** up the bubble picks anyway.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
  • Agree
Reactions: SMP05 and C.John

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Creme still has us as a # 10 seed playing Arizona State in Florida with a possible second round match-up with Florida State. College Sports Madness (don't know who that is) has us as a # 9 playing Marquette with a possible second round game against UConn.

I would REALLY like to avoid the 8/9 game. Would much rather be a 10 seed with the tougher first round matchup.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, I'll take a 10 seed please. However, I actually think UConn is quite beatable, they almost lost to Tulane for goodness sakes.

I saw that score but does anyone what the background is on that? Did anyone watch that game?

Last edited:

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I saw that score but does anyone what the background is on that? Did anyone watch that game?

They had a starter out with injury. It was at Tulane. Tulane played above their heads. UConn played down to their competition.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Would be pretty funny if MBB and WBB both get in while both Iowa teams miss.

Iowa WBB played their way out yesterday, losing their opening Big 10 tournament game to Northwestern, a team they beat by 19 just two weeks ago. No exceptional wins, .500 in league (that is ranked just SIXTH in conference RPI), and an unimpressive finish to the season. They were already in the 'first four out' group. Losing to NU pretty much punched their WNIT ticket. Second year in a row with no NCAA for Blunder & Co.

Iowa MBB surprised by knocking off Wisconsin in Madison last night. They still have hope, but I don't think they have the consistency to string together a few wins they way they need to. Got to hand it to them for taking advantage of nearly every single Badger mistake in the last five minutes of that game.

But, yes, it would be pretty funny if both their teams missed out while ours made it. :)