WBB: Updated bracketology 3/6

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As I suspected, Sisters drop from a 6 to a 7.

Bracketology - Women's College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPN

I have a feeling they won't climb back up without another big win in the Big 12 tournament. An opening round loss and it could mean an 8, so I won't complain.

And I still prefer UCLA as potential second-round 2 seed than Duke.

Remember, that's just Charlie Creme's guess - he's not on the NCAA committee. I think he's wrong here - I bet we're a #6 seed as it stands right now on the committee's board. Up or down from there all depends on our run in the Big 12 tourney. I do agree with him that there are "questions about our offense" going in. Just don't think we're down to a 7 seed yet.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Hope we can get that #6 seed. Huge difference between being the #6 seed or the #7 seed in the 2nd Round matchups.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The ladies need to make some noise in KC because lately unless Bolte is carrying the team on her back on offense they have struggled against some teams they shouldn't have lost to. Really need another player or 2 to step up and pick up the slack on offense when Bolte isn't able to get her shots off. Prins could be that player but she's been terribly inconsistent this year.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Jerry Palm has his latest up at CollegeRPI.com. Palm is usually more accurate on teams getting in vs. seeding. He has stated several times in his projections this has been a difficult year because of 10 teams from the Big East being projected into the field while trying to maintain all the bracket principles. Also a note in the women's game, he committee matches seeds with locations after it fills out the bracket on Selection Monday.

Couple of interesting notes from both projections:
Both have us as a #7 in Albuquerque vs a Big East team (Syracuse / St. John's)
Both have UCLA as the # 2 seed in Albuquerque

CollegeRPI.com - Women

BTW - on the ESPN bracketology, there is a cool video about the women's team from Galladuet University. Really inspiring to see what those women are doing.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Jerry Palm has his latest up at CollegeRPI.com. Palm is usually more accurate on teams getting in vs. seeding.

Couple of interesting notes from both projections:
Both have us as a #7 in Albuquerque vs a Big East team (Syracuse / St. John's)
Both have UCLA as the # 2 seed in Albuquerque

Even though I think this year's team is likely to be one-and-done regardless of matchups — and maybe especially because of that — staying away from the 8 seed and/or Duke (as a 2) can't hurt.

I notice Palm still does his WBB bracket iwith the lower brackets starting w/ top seed (2-15/7-10/3-14/6-11) ... he used to do men's that way. It's a headache to read it when you're used to the traditional way (even though his seems to make more sense).

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Jerry Palm has his latest up at CollegeRPI.com. Palm is usually more accurate on teams getting in vs. seeding.

He has ISU's RPI at 28, hence the #7 seed. I'd like to know what his projection was of us last year, as he had our RPI at the same: 28. Yet the committee gave us a #4 seed, so I wonder if Palm was even close on that one...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He has ISU's RPI at 28, hence the #7 seed. I'd like to know what his projection was of us last year, as he had our RPI at the same: 28. Yet the committee gave us a #4 seed, so I wonder if Palm was even close on that one...

I did a quick search to see if I could find his projection from last season, couldn't find it. (I didn't spend much time on it, though). It wouldn't surprise me if last year's team got a 4 with the same RPI — seemed like there were several more "big wins" last season, and fewer bad losses in-conference.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
I like the matchup with UCLA. They will certainly have the edge in talent, but they have not had any close games their entire conference season. They usually put up a lot of points too. Playing the twister sisters and our stifling defense and patient offense could really rattle them. In fact, if you go back to the last game that was a close, low scoring game, it was one of their 3 losses vs LSU. Of all the teams we could get against a #2 or #3 seed, I think UCLA has to be the best (or at least one of the best 3 draws we could get).

I agree with 500 that we're likely a one and done team, but I'll never bet against a Bill Fennelly coached team. He'll have a good gameplan against anyone we play and if the girls can execute on the offensive end we can play with anyone in the country.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Latest has us playing Michigan in the first round, still in Albuquerque, along with UCLA and Portland State.

It's not foremost factor, but, a major factor is to avoid a rematch during the first two rounds. Not scheduling Michigan would be one of those factors which could bump one of us up or down or around to avoid a rematch.