Well, how's it look going into "the dance" ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
  1. Ku is well rested but maybe arrested?
  2. ISU is peaking at the right time and adding quality paint.
  3. WVU will create chaos for the guardless.
  4. Baylor has to get well at guard as tall won't do.
  5. oSu's Evans a huge problem if Pokes close late.
  6. K-State will be playing in, hopefully, the dance party.

Guessing three make the Sweet 16. Two the Elite 8.
Tech and TCU should be in the NIT field.

Congrats to ISU for the conference championship. It was no surprise to anyone outside WV. See #2 above.

Last edited:

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
WVU and Baylor are two teams hardest to prepare for because of what they do. WVU less so because they are a poorer shooting team. Both have Sweet 16 potential.

KState definitely done enough to make the field but may have to PIG to the round of 64. I don't think they should have to, but that seems to be expert consensus.

People will pick KU deep as always and be disappointed as always.

OSU has enough pieces to win two games, but I'd have a hard time picking them for more than one. But they will be a tough out. Brad Underwood has righted that group quickly, and coaching matters in the NCAAs.

For ISU, it is about the matchups. I like how our bench and posts contributed throughout the Big XII tourney and we will go far with them contributing.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
WVU and Baylor are two teams hardest to prepare for because of what they do. WVU less so because they are a poorer shooting team. Both have Sweet 16 potential.

KState definitely done enough to make the field but may have to PIG to the round of 64. I don't think they should have to, but that seems to be expert consensus.

People will pick KU deep as always and be disappointed as always.

OSU has enough pieces to win two games, but I'd have a hard time picking them for more than one. But they will be a tough out. Brad Underwood has righted that group quickly, and coaching matters in the NCAAs.

For ISU, it is about the matchups. I like how our bench and posts contributed throughout the Big XII tourney and we will go far with them contributing.

As I heard on the radio, quoting Huggie- we're a tough team to prepare for too. Guys all over the floor that know their role and can score.

• Agree
Reactions: surly and Die4Cy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Just very pleased for D.J. Johnson and Wes Iwundu that they get to finish their careers in 'the dance.'

It was their goal going into the season, when the coaches and media picked this team to finish 9/10 in the conference. I'd say they overachieved. And but for a few goofy loses - like the j'hawk walk and the WVU tourney game ending foul call - coupled with ongoing injury issues, they could have had a magical year. But it's not over yet, thankfully.

This is going to be a fun dance party. ISU and, of course, Self's lineup [sic] are well positioned, it seems. Both have great guards. I don't see most of the others getting beyond the first weekend because they just don't score enough.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Good luck surly. Made it by the skin our your teeth. Better than seeing Syracuse plus it makes the analysts go nuts, a total plus!

How much national gnashing of teeth would there have been if the Orange were in and KSU was out? Not much. Flyover country baby...

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Good luck surly. Made it by the skin our your teeth. Better than seeing Syracuse plus it makes the analysts go nuts, a total plus!

How much national gnashing of teeth would there have been if the Orange were in and KSU was out? Not much. Flyover country baby...

Listening to the experts last night, the last one in argument seemed to be directed more at USC and Wake than K-State, although the Cats were indeed #46. Still, 46 out of 68 ain't all that bad. :rolleyes:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think every Big 12 team will win a game this year. Four are solid favorites by seeds but I like OSU over Mich and KSU in the play-in game.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think every Big 12 team will win a game this year. Four are solid favorites by seeds but I like OSU over Mich and KSU in the play-in game.
Oh wow, I disagree 100%. If any league team is in bracket trouble it's the one playing Michigan. Pokes are going to get schooled by one of the hottest teams - after Duke and Zona - going into 'the dance.'

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Oh wow, I disagree 100%. If any league team is in bracket trouble it's the one playing Michigan. Pokes are going to get schooled by one of the hottest teams - after Duke and Zona - going into 'the dance.'

Oklahoma State is a hot team as well. Since losing to K-State in January, they have only a few losses: one to Baylor, one to Kansas (both close) and a pair to another hot team - one that is better than Michigan - in two road games. 10 wins in that span as well. Michigan is good but I like OSU better. Should be a good one though.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think you nailed the ratings, really happy K State got in, it seems like the talking heads are acting like its a given that Wake will beat them. How did Tech not make the NIT?

Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I think you nailed the ratings, really happy K State got in, it seems like the talking heads are acting like its a given that Wake will beat them. How did Tech not make the NIT?

Tech gets no respect card played big time by NIT. Although, I thought they won the league's 'under-performer of the year' award. Lots of talent trying to adapt to their new coach/Knight offense didn't work out so well for the Raiders.

I don't think there's a school base in the league with less self-worth than Tech fans. Red Raider athletics are in big time struggle mode presently.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Well, K-State plays their way in, as if they weren't already, against Danny boy. I must say that if the Miracle's team is representative of ACC hoops, I may have to change my Duke/UNC final game bracket.

My gosh, State would have beat them by 20 were it not for the free throw differential. The talent difference was startling. And remember, Wake had just beat Louisville and V'Tech.

Anyway, since ISU fan has remained silent on the game, I thought it appropriate to poke you in the ribs a bit about it this morning.

Beat Nevada!

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Wake looked bad. I think K-State's physicality got to them. I thought the reffing was a bit more touchy than we've seen in the B12, which was why there was such a huge foul differential. Also the reason KSU won, though. You've got some ballers. Stokes had the friendly rim going on, big time!