West Virginia Preview

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
West Virginia is clearly a better team this year, with a 2-2 start in the Big 12. Last year, when we played them, they were 0-15 in the Big 12. We beat them pretty handily in Morgantown 3-0 (25-13, 25-17 and 25-11). I doubt it will be quite so easy this year, as that team has another year of experience under their belt.

This year, they are off to a better start. They gave themselves a pretty easy pre-season schedule and rolled to a 13-1 record; this included wins over schools like Canisius, Campbell, Hampton and Norfolk State. They started the Big 12 with a 3-1 win over KState at home, who we beat 3-0 last Wednesday night. Then they lost by a 3-1 margin to TCU but followed that up with a 3-1 win over Texas Tech in Lubbock (24-26, 25-20, 25-19, 25-19). We beat TT 3-0 (25-21, 25-12, 25-13).

The big hitters for the Mountaineers include 6'0" freshman OH Jordan Anderson, 6'0" sophomore OH Hannah Sackett, 6'0" sophomore MB Caleah Wells and 6'3" OPP Nikki Attea. Attea and Wells were PrepVolleyball senior aces 150 coming out of high school. Their setter is 5'7" sophomore Brittany Sample, also named a senior ace 150 out of high school. Their Libero is also a sophomore, so, this is a young team; many of this year's sophomores were starting freshmen last year and endured that really, really tough season.

The Mountaineers are even young at the coaching level. Jill Kramer has only been at WVU since 2010; she played for TCU's inaugual volleyball team (1996-1999) and has previously served as an assistant at Virginia, Alabama and Texas San Antonio. Her assistant coaches arrived in June 2012 and June 2013. Coming to the Big 12 was a big, big step as their record dropped from 15-15 in their last year in the Big East to 7-19 in their first year in the Big 12. They were no better last year with a 8-22 overall record.

So, the Mountaineers are young, depending largely on freshmen and sophomores. This should be another 3-0 victory for the good girls, unless they play down to the opposition, in which case I could see a 3-1 victory. Something else in our favour is Hilton; WVU is used to Morgantown crowds that number in the 100s, not the 1000s like our girls enjoy here in Ames.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
Good write up. I agree that it should be a 3-0 sweep, but you never know. The next two games after this are gonna be tough; @Texas and @Kansas.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
solid game for us - noticing some really nice blocking numbers the last few games. Going to need to have everyone firing on all cylinders the next two games.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Like others posting here, I saw some real positives yesterday. One is the play of Tory Knuth; she is really progressing well. Indeed, I hope that Natalie Vondrak takes note, because Tory was in her shoes last year.

Another observation was the youth of our team. WVU is a very young team - hardly played anyone older than a sophomore all night - but then I was reminded that many of our key players - Hudson, Bigbee, Knuth and Capaezio - are either freshmen or sophomores. Plus we have some great players in the wings, like Vondrak and Kuhrt.

Obviously, one has to be impressed with Capezio and Bigbee, Mackenzie pounded a few kills that could have injured if they hit anyone. She has an incredible swing. We may not have quite meshed as a team yet, but we see improvement almost every match, so a bright future is out there for us to grab.

The only question mark in my mind is Nolan. She passes well, but only if the ball comes to her or is close. She seems to lack speed or quickness and made an awful lot of errors yesterday. But CJL knows a lot more about VB than I do, and would not be starting Nolan if it was not the right thing to do.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Glad to see Knuth looking 100% again after her early season injury...you can definitely tell in her production...even if she's not putting up huge blocking numbers she's touching A LOT of hits.

I just don't know who we would sub in for Nolan? I do agree she has been a little bit of a weak spot for the D. Also gave up all 3 receiving errors against WVU.

Love watching Hudson play. She will keep improving the next few years!