Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
I cant believe they would go to 16 but what if they go to 14

Notre Dame say they are out.

I am worried that it would mean

Missouri
Nebraska
Rutgers in!

The Big 12 would have to add a TCU and a Houston?

Who else Colorado State?

Memphis?

What if Colorado bolts to the Pac 10

Iowa State is in a bad way us and the Kansas schools could really get hung out to dry.

What if they go 16

Missouri
Kansas
Nebraska
Rutgers
Pittsburgh

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If missouri and nebraska went to the big 10 without ISU, we might as well leave for the mac or the MWC. The big 12 would just add a couple more southern teams and ISU would be isolated way up here, especially if Colorado went Pac-10.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
ISU-Missouri-Nebraska would be an excellent add for the big 10 if they went to 14. Built in rivalries with the potential to build new ones between ISU\nebraska\mizzou and Minn\Wisconsin\Ill,

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Iowa State is not going to be invited to join the Big Ten! As many others have stated, we don't have much to offer in terms of creating revenue for that league! That league wants to expand its influence into markets that will make money. Sadly, they already own this market...

Also...if they do invite a team from the "west" (of its current makeup), it will be Mizzou in hopes they bring StL and KC markets with them.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Is this just all wild speculation on everyone's part or does any of this have any basis in reality outside of someone posting something on a message board? I just heard on the news here yesterday in chicago, the big 10 commissioner was quoted as saying, "We are not actively pursuing expansion for the Big 10, we are only looking into the idea of expansion. Sorry, I don't keep up on a lot of this stuff and I'm just wondering if I missed an article somewhere that said "The Big 10 would love these teams!"

As much as I despise the idea of ever joining the Big 10, I do kind of like the idea of a Northern Super Conference. At the same time, I see that conference falling behind on the Florida and Texas markets and eventually falling behind in competing with the southern teams as well.

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
The word is they will expand in the next 18 month everything has to be in Place by 2015 TV contract

BCS also changes in 2015

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/general-college-sports/75604-big-14-a.html#post1423510

The more teams added to the Big Ten, the more the revenue pie gets split up and the share per team reduced. Thus, the teams added need to bring in revenue to offset the smaller share, or else it doesn't make financial sense to expand.

Revenue basically comes through TV deals, so the Big Ten will either expand into areas that will get them on more cable systems or better cable tiers, or expand with flashly teams that will get them a better TV deal come 2015.

I wonder if the Big Ten is concerned that the recent perception of the conference being weaker in FB will hurt them during the next round of TV negotiations, and thus they want to bulk up with some extra teams.

In any case, I don't see how the Big Ten adding ISU helps the Big Ten with any of these issues.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think ISU's only chance of going to the Big 10 is if they decide to go to 16 teams. If they decide to add that many teams, they can afford to add a school like ISU that doesn't necessarily bring much other than regional rivalries, especially if they add Missouri and Nebraska. However, I'd say there's a 99% chance the Big 10 doesn't go to 16, and I'd say anyone expecting them expanding to 14 is going way out on a limb.

Help Support Us

Become a patron