What... no n00b love for this forum since June 16th? Let's change that right now!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BearlyDoug

Aug 22, 2013
Atlanta
TwoCentsRadio.net
I'm shocked, I tell ya... SHOCKED that this forum's been deader than the Kansas vs Missouri rivalry over the past couple months. Y'all seriously need to change that up, fast!

Hi, my name is Doug and I'm addicted to... oh, crap, this isn't an AA or NA meeting. So sorry about that!

All joking side, I'm a *very* passionate Collegiate Football junkie, living in an Atlanta suburb. I blame Mike Rouse (ISUGoldenrule on Twitter; and now subsequently Chris Williams) for turning me onto Cyclone Fanatics. An SEC (Arkansas Razorbacks) and Sun Belt (Arkansas State, Georgia State) fan, of course, but I love the game and sport itself.

I fancy myself as a Collegiate Football Historian, often researching game history by way of GridironHistory (to avoid spamming/pimping the site, I'm not linking to it in this post (it's a respect thing, since I'm a guest in someone else's home)).

I'm also a budding Sports Talk Radio Media Personality, doing a once a week show with an awesome co-host, covering not only SEC and Sun Belt Conferences, but also showcasing lesser known schools and people/student athletes. I'm also the webmaster behind the largest fan site (official and unofficial) for the Arkansas Razorbacks (Hogville) as well as Arkansas largest High School Prep Sports site (FearlessFriday).

EDIT Forgot to mention that I actually have a lot of family history tied to the State of Iowa. My Maternal Grandmother was born and raised there (we still have a *very* large farm somewhere), and my Great Grandfather immigrated and relocated to Iowa from what was then known as the USSR (Russia). And yes, even the Des Moines Register has profiled one of my Great Uncles (Grandfather's brother) at this link.

Enough incoherent ramblings from me... if you've got any questions, give me a shoutout here or via Twitter (@BearlyDoug) and I'll do my best to not annoy ya.

Mike (and Chris), thanks for the heads up about this here forum thingie!

Last edited:

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Welcome Doug! Hopefully you enjoy your time here, be careful not to step in the knee deep sarcasm/BS.

Good luck with the new coaches down at Arkansas, hope you guys can dethrone Bama and LSU in the West.

BearlyDoug

Aug 22, 2013
Atlanta
TwoCentsRadio.net
Just realized that I forgot to mention my direct tie-in/connection with the State of Iowa, so I just modified the post above.

Whats happening here
Crickets chirping, apparently. :)

Welcome Doug! Hopefully you enjoy your time here, be careful not to step in the knee deep sarcasm/BS.

Good luck with the new coaches down at Arkansas, hope you guys can dethrone Bama and LSU in the West.
Used to sorting through the BS/sarcasm. When you Tech Admin a 25,000 member site with damn near 7 million posts, you gotta have a thick skin, haha! Thank you for the well wishes for this year's Hogs. Should be a rather exciting season.

Also, congrats to Coach Rhoads for picking up Chris Klenakis. That's a HUGE get for you guys. His West Coast connections, in terms of recruiting, could help give you guys a very nice advantage within the Big 12 for the next few years, if you can keep him around. I know the allure of the West Coast is there, but he did tell me (via twitter) the other day that he's super excited to be part of the ISU FB staff. Again, great coach to have on your staff now.

Last edited:

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just realized that I forgot to mention my direct tie-in/connection with the State of Iowa, so I just modified the post above.

Crickets chirping, apparently. :)

Used to sorting through the BS/sarcasm. When you Tech Admin a 25,000 member site with damn near 7 million posts, you gotta have a thick skin, haha! Thank you for the well wishes for this year's Hogs. Should be a rather exciting season.

Also, congrats to Coach Rhodes for picking up Chris Klenakis. That's a HUGE get for you guys. His West Coast connections, in terms of recruiting, could help give you guys a very nice advantage within the Big 12 for the next few years, if you can keep him around. I know the allure of the West Coast is there, but he did tell me (via twitter) the other day that he's super excited to be part of the ISU FB staff. Again, great coach to have on your staff now.

Cardinal Sin here....RHOADS

Welcome though, don't make the mistake again. :jimlad:

BearlyDoug

Aug 22, 2013
Atlanta
TwoCentsRadio.net
Sorry, the Steven RHODES (MTSU player that the NCAA almost screwed over) situation is still fresh on my mind. I knew that it was supposed to be "Rhoads". Fixed post. I'll go sit in the corner with my dunce hat on, though.

Last edited:

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
Also, congrats to Coach Rhoads for picking up Chris Klenakis. That's a HUGE get for you guys. His West Coast connections, in terms of recruiting, could help give you guys a very nice advantage within the Big 12 for the next few years, if you can keep him around. I know the allure of the West Coast is there, but he did tell me (via twitter) the other day that he's super excited to be part of the ISU FB staff. Again, great coach to have on your staff now.
Welcome to CF. I'll take you up on your offer to answer questions. What else can you say about Chris Klenakis? I read an article about him (Let's Welcome Chris Klenakis To Iowa State - Wide Right & Natty Lite) but I am interested in your take.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Interested in hearing your take on the disgruntled Arkansas State fans who started ripping on ISU because we were invited to "their" bowl game.

ISUpadre

Aug 2, 2013
USA! USA!
Hello n00best n00b. Welcome!

images

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Took me a while to remember that the main forums page is the most recent posts throughout all of the forums. Initially, I was going to write some comment about how he must be blind if he thinks this forum is dead... then stopped myself and looked that he in fact did post in a relatively dead area of the site.

BearlyDoug

Aug 22, 2013
Atlanta
TwoCentsRadio.net
Welcome to CF. I'll take you up on your offer to answer questions. What else can you say about Chris Klenakis? I read an article about him (Let's Welcome Chris Klenakis To Iowa State - Wide Right & Natty Lite) but I am interested in your take.
When you work for a pass happy coach (nearly 70% of the plays were passes), it's going to be hard to get the numbers you want as a Rushing guy. I know that when Klenakis was first hired at Arkansas, it was because of how well he recruited against PAC-12 teams... to come to Nevada. He has, however, come into his own, as a coach, even though the stats sheets tell a bit different story. You should spend a few minutes reading Klenakis' Arkansas and Nevada bios.

As good a recruiter as he is, he's been a career assistant, sadly. I'm hoping that, with Rhoads' schemes, that Klenakis willfinally have a chance to flourish. I will say this much: Many Razorback fans were actually pretty happy to have him come on board (especially since it allowed Hogs to dip into both California and Hawaii a bit heavier). The Razorbacks, by the way, now have one player from Hawaii this year and a commitment for the 2014 class. Both D-line guys, both big and nasty. :)

Interested in hearing your take on the disgruntled Arkansas State fans who started ripping on ISU because we were invited to "their" bowl game.
Are you talking about the 212-13Liberty Bowl? The SEC is supposed to have the tie-in. Baring that, the next pick is a "Big East" (now AKA "The American"). No matter if it's an AAC or SEC, the opponent is always a C-USA team (as of now). Not sure how a Big-12 team got invited to the Liberty Bowl. And I'm sure many others were, as well. Of course, I'm not sure how ASU would have been able to pull off a Liberty Bowl selection, either. :)

The other reason, of course, would be how a 6-6 Iowa State team was selected for a more prestigious bowl than a 9-3 Arkansas State team (which went back to the GoDaddy.com bowl for the 2nd year in a row), especially since the Independence Bowl is BARELY a 1 hour drive from the Arkansas State campus... which is more than likely the reason there.

Took me a while to remember that the main forums page is the most recent posts throughout all of the forums. Initially, I was going to write some comment about how he must be blind if he thinks this forum is dead... then stopped myself and looked that he in fact did post in a relatively dead area of the site.
Unlike most n00bs, I normally pay attention... Rhoads/Rhodes notwithstanding. Kinda have to be detail oriented/focused with what I do day in and day out. :)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
When you work for a pass happy coach (nearly 70% of the plays were passes), it's going to be hard to get the numbers you want as a Rushing guy. I know that when Klenakis was first hired at Arkansas, it was because of how well he recruited against PAC-12 teams... to come to Nevada. He has, however, come into his own, as a coach, even though the stats sheets tell a bit different story. You should spend a few minutes reading Klenakis' Arkansas and Nevada bios.

As good a recruiter as he is, he's been a career assistant, sadly. I'm hoping that, with Rhoads' schemes, that Klenakis willfinally have a chance to flourish. I will say this much: Many Razorback fans were actually pretty happy to have him come on board (especially since it allowed Hogs to dip into both California and Hawaii a bit heavier). The Razorbacks, by the way, now have one player from Hawaii this year and a commitment for the 2014 class. Both D-line guys, both big and nasty. :)

Are you talking about the 212-13Liberty Bowl? The SEC is supposed to have the tie-in. Baring that, the next pick is a "Big East" (now AKA "The American"). No matter if it's an AAC or SEC, the opponent is always a C-USA team (as of now). Not sure how a Big-12 team got invited to the Liberty Bowl. And I'm sure many others were, as well. Of course, I'm not sure how ASU would have been able to pull off a Liberty Bowl selection, either. :)

The other reason, of course, would be how a 6-6 Iowa State team was selected for a more prestigious bowl than a 9-3 Arkansas State team (which went back to the GoDaddy.com bowl for the 2nd year in a row), especially since the Independence Bowl is BARELY a 1 hour drive from the Arkansas State campus... which is more than likely the reason there.

Unlike most n00bs, I normally pay attention... Rhoads/Rhodes notwithstanding. Kinda have to be detail oriented/focused with what I do day in and day out. :)

I thought none of those conferences could fill their slots, and ISU sent more fans to that bowl than Arkansas St. gets to their home game.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Welcome to the site.Since you're a razorback fan, just curious. Were any Razorback faithful ever tempted to jump the SEC ship for the Big 12 to reunite old rivalries? If I was a razorback fan, I wouldn't be, but just curious. Instability aside, if the B12 deal was as lucrative and "stable" as the SEC offer, would there be interest? Also, what is your take on Missouri and Texas A&M in the SEC after their first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.