What's growing? The garden thread.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
My tomatoes and sweet potatoes turned blackish-purple. Discovered a walnut seedling growing amongst them and wonder if that had something to do with it.
I would guess that it's not the walnut seedling as I would think the toxin produced by the walnut wouldn't affect things much beyond the footprint of the tree/seedling's root system. Potential causes may included weather variations, nutrient uptake (changes in fertilization method, concentration, formulation or application) as well as unintended pesticide contamination (spray drift?) Off the top of my head a couple of things that could "darken" plants would be nitrogen and magnesium (Epsom salts)

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
After a week or ten days of closer to normal weather I've managed to get ahead of the weeds. I replanted the beets and carrots yesterday as I had very poor stands of both that I attributed to crusting over from the pounding rain combined with the ensuing winds. It was futile trying to keep the surface moist allowing the seedlings to emerge when the layer below was too wet and I imagine many seeds rotted in the ground.. Although I enjoy a few meals with asparagus each spring I made my last picking of the season a couple days ago and completed the meticulous task of weeding that patch (approx 8'x16'). I generally share more of the harvest than I consume myself. I've had a couple of meals which included chef's salads made with spinach but the weather was hard on that too and it's coming along slowly. Hope it gives me a lot more before it decides to bolt. The Yukon Gold's are about to bloom which tells me we should be a able to rob a few new potatoes around the 4th of July. The Kiwi's are blooming this year--something that has only happened a couple of times in the last 10 or 15 years that we've had them. The tomato plants are small compared to normal but are looking healthier than they did earlier. I only plant a later variety but should have an abundance about the time everybody else had their fill of them in the fall--man, those greenhouse tomatoes in the store are tasteless!

Reactions: NWICY

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I’m growing some canola this year and while the plants are growing pretty well, something is eating the leaves. I live on the second floor of an apartment building so I think it’s bugs, but they aren’t eating any of my other plants (including corn, sunflowers, and green beans).

Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I’m growing some canola this year and while the plants are growing pretty well, something is eating the leaves. I live on the second floor of an apartment building so I think it’s bugs, but they aren’t eating any of my other plants (including corn, sunflowers, and green beans).

Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?
I am a retired farmer so it's in my blood to always try to grow something. At one time I was into Hosta hybridizing and grew Hosta seedlings (as a winter project) under lights in my basement. I've also started double-bloom petunias, a few other less available (more expensive) annual flowers, and still start my tomatoes under the lights. The only thing I have grown in pots is trees from nuts, and Mountain Ash trees from saved seed.

Since you mentioned you lived in a second floor apartment (without any other details) one would make the logical assumption that you are growing your "crops" indoors or have a "balcony" garden and are growing in pots. I have to think you must be doing this as a personnel satisfaction thing rather than a self-sufficiency approach to your gardening, as the effort needed with the crops you have chosen would have a very low return on investment. My view may be skewed by the way I've always approached food growing--to savor the fresh produce but to also preserve the excess for later use.

Back to your original question: I am not familiar with Canola as there is little grown in Iowa. My suggestion would be to post this same question on the North Dakota or Saskatchewan football forum and heed their responses :):):)

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Red and white potatoes, onions, popcorn, green beans, zucchini, beets, carrots (didn't grow), radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, variety of peppers, and a lot of sweet corn.
The rhubarb and asparagus were transplanted last year so still waiting for them to mature.
I measured it out on an aerial mapping website and the garden is about 0.7 acres.
I want to try to grow garlic in a pot but lost track of time on that this year.
I think we will eventually plant pumpkins. Fun for the kids at Halloween.
We did sweet potatoes last year but didn't this year.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I am a retired farmer so it's in my blood to always try to grow something. At one time I was into Hosta hybridizing and grew Hosta seedlings (as a winter project) under lights in my basement. I've also started double-bloom petunias, a few other less available (more expensive) annual flowers, and still start my tomatoes under the lights. The only thing I have grown in pots is trees from nuts, and Mountain Ash trees from saved seed.

Since you mentioned you lived in a second floor apartment (without any other details) one would make the logical assumption that you are growing your "crops" indoors or have a "balcony" garden and are growing in pots. I have to think you must be doing this as a personnel satisfaction thing rather than a self-sufficiency approach to your gardening, as the effort needed with the crops you have chosen would have a very low return on investment. My view may be skewed by the way I've always approached food growing--to savor the fresh produce but to also preserve the excess for later use.

Back to your original question: I am not familiar with Canola as there is little grown in Iowa. My suggestion would be to post this same question on the North Dakota or Saskatchewan football forum and heed their responses :):):)
Yeah, it is completely for my own satisfaction. The corn is kind of a bit because I’m from Iowa but no longer live there and the canola and sunflowers are because they look really pretty and smell good. Plus, the canola plant is edible and tastes pretty good in a salad.

And I actually found caterpillars on the canola plants today so I now know what is eating the leaves. I contacted the extension service to see if they have any guidance.

Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
My garden plot is drowning. Any suggestions for planting in wet clay?
In my area the city composts yard waste and offers it free to the residents. If I had clay soil I would take this opportunity to obtain some and incorporate in to the top 4 to 6 inches of your garden (rototiller). Doing the math, a 5 gallon bucket of compost will cover around 4 square feet 2 inches deep. If I had a heavy clay soil, I wouldn't be afraid to add up to 4 inches of compost in the top six inches. I have black soil in my garden and add compost regularly--you can't believe how much this improves the tilth of the soil. Since it is properly composted it is free of weed seeds. For the last few years, I have made rows of compost on top of my soil about 14-16 inches wide and 7-8 inches high and planted my potatoes directly into the compost. When harvest comes, you don't dig the spuds, simply run your fingers through the compost (or brush it to the side). No more spade damaged tatos. they come out almost clean enough for storage (compost doesn't stick to them as soil does, and the compost is then tilled into the soil for rotating to a different crop the following year. In case anyone is wondering, you can get 50 five gallon buckets of compost in a shortbox pickup when stacked two high :):):).

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
The garden has been under water to often and for to long. Got walleyes in there now.
Mine is so wet the frogs are sitting on top of the fence posts. Furthermore, my wife yelled:
"Give it to me! Give it to me!"
"I'm so wet, give it to me now!”

She could scream all she wanted, but I was keeping the umbrella.