Votes: 86 54.8%
  • Family Passed it on

Votes: 57 36.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
After reading all the meltdown posts from Hawkeye Nation and seeing all the posts on Facebook calling for Kirk's head I couldn't help but ask myself, are these people true Hawkeye fans? Obviously they haven't been routinely kicked in the balls as often as us State fans.

I'm sure this has been posted here before but I'm wondering what made you an Iowa State fan? Or even an Iowa Fan if there's trolls/lurkers that want to chime in? Was it a specific sporting event? Was it because you went to college there? Was it because your Mother/Father were ISU fans? Was it the environment inside Hilton or the tailgating at JT that sucked you in? (Surely it wasn't the environment inside Carver for you Hawk fans)

I'll hang up and listen...

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Tough question...

My aunt and uncle bought my dad and I season tickets when I was 5 years old to basketball games (20 years ago) so I would say my family AND the gameday environment are my two biggest reasons.

Went to Iowa State for my bachelors and will likely never pay another dime towards to school again. The History program I was in was great, but the education program was pathetic, awful, in shambles, and did nothing to prepare students for the teaching world.

Reactions: HogueNation

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My family is not originally from IA so even after living and graduating HS in IA I didn't care much about any Iowa schools until I started attending ISU my junior year of college.

Reactions: HogueNation

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Grew up in Eastern Iowa as a Hawk fan. Wanted to be an engineer, and applied to both Iowa and ISU. Got denied at Iowa (you had to be in the top 30% of your class). Opened my acceptance letter to ISU right before the 2001 Cy-Hawk game kickoff, and the rest is history.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Grew up in an Iowa State family and married into one as well. I also graduated from Iowa State.
Cyclones fans have always joked how so many Iowa "fans" have zero connection to the school. Ironically, Iowa States enrollment is growing at a rapid rate and in another 10 years or so the fan base gap is going to be much closer. Most Hawkeye fans I know refuse to acknowledge this even though our enrollment continues to out pace Western Chicago.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Never was much of a college sports fan growing up, just knew I hated anything Nebraska related (lived in Omaha/CB).

Right when I got to Ames for college, though, I became a diehard Cyclone. My fandom for ISU is deeper & more intense than anything else I've ever cheered for, on a whole other level than any professional team.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I was raised to be a hawkeye, but we also cheered for Iowa State. When they played each other I cheered for the Cyclones (even during the dark ages of Jim Walden). Hilton was always way cooler than Carver.

It wasn't until I attended college at Iowa State & had to deal with hawkeye smugness that I learned to hate. My level of hatred is probably unhealthy. Part of the problem is I married into a hawkeye family and my dad and brother are still hawkeye tools. I used to have an unhealthy hatred for Nebraska, but what's the point now? I'm also sick to death of losing to Oklahoma & Kansas State.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I was raised to be a hawkeye, but we also cheered for Iowa State. When they played each other I cheered for the Cyclones (even during the dark ages of Jim Walden). Hilton was always way cooler than Carver.

It wasn't until I attended college at Iowa State & had to deal with hawkeye smugness that I learned to hate. My level of hatred is probably unhealthy. Part of the problem is I married into a hawkeye family and my dad and brother are still hawkeye tools. I used to have an unhealthy hatred for Nebraska, but what's the point now? I'm also sick to death of losing to Oklahoma & Kansas State.

A lot of similarities to what you said for me. I was raised in NE Iowa and Iowa State athletics was a non entity up there at that time so I was a Hawk fan in a Hawk family in my formative sports years. I started paying attention, as much as possible, in the later 80s when I figured out that I was probably going to ISU. Once I went to ISU and fully pledged my sports allegiance to the Clones was the time I finally realized the smugness of Hawk fans that you speak of. The ones that love to tell you how much everything Iowa State sucks while having no actual ties to the teams they root for, which is about 90% of them, are the reason I can never root for Iowa in anything. My hatred was unhealthy and I've worked hard to move it more toward indifference but I still have my days.

As for the reasons I'm a fan...I'm a very proud ISU alum and I love everything about my university. The campus is amazing and while the athletics are not always where we'd like them to be, the game day experience is something I still enjoy getting back for. Fortunately ISU athletics are much more accessible than when I was a kid so my children have been given the opportunity (who am I kidding, they're brainwashed) to be ISU fans since birth...for better or worse.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Brother played football here. I'm not necessarily a fan as much as I am a follower of ISU athletics and a staunch Hawkeye hater.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Dad passed it down when we lived in Michigan, but then we moved to Iowa so it was easy! I'm now an alumni.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
After going to ISU, I just want them to turn it around and win something after decades of frustration.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
didn't even know ISU existed until I was really looking for colleges. then i came for a visit and here I am, planted roots and grew a family here in central iowa.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I discovered the Hawkeye smugness at a much younger age. Growing up in the 80's as a Cyclone fan wasn't easy and it certainly wasn't "cool." I can remember going to Sunday school the morning after the Hawkeyes beat the likes of Maryland Eastern Shore and William and Mary to secure another Amana Hawkeye Classic title. My douchey Hawkeye friends/classmates were slapping fives and celebrating like they just won the national title. I knew then and there that my lord and savior was sending me a message that memorable morning.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Doctors said I medically shouldn't punch myself in the the testicles anymore so I watched a basketball game on March 25, 2000 and I found my replacement.