Wikipedia as a source

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
what an *** professor... that sounds like something that would happen to me

You have to remember, that was in 1995. The internet was a very new thing for most people then, and it wasn't nearly as advanced and user-friendly as it is today. It doesn't surprise me at all that a professor wouldn't accept any online sources back then. What does surprise me somewhat is that it apparently still happens today.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
You have to remember, that was in 1995. The internet was a very new thing for most people then, and it wasn't nearly as advanced and user-friendly as it is today. It doesn't surprise me at all that a professor wouldn't accept any online sources back then. What does surprise me somewhat is that it apparently still happens today.
And how many people use sources that are not subject to reviews for credibility and take their words as fact?

I guarantee that if a class of 80ish students did a research project individually on the holocaust, one would come back with a whole bunch of arguments and "cites" to back their argument about how it never happened, and it was all just fabricated to create Israel. There are reasons to say that certain information isn't usable.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale
Word.

I do research for a living. The kind of research that if I'm wrong, real people get to die. I use Wiki quite often, but then, in my field, I am fully equipped to pick up nuance and call B.S. on something that is wrong.

But I do that on nearly every source I use. I've read in respected, scholarly journals, subject to peer reviews, about things that I've done, or was present when they happened and walked away shaking my head at how wrong they were.

I've also read in Wiki things that were like "how the heck did they know that?" on things I didn't realize were public knowledge.

Once you get to post-Grad or real world work, they pay you to be able to call B.S. on a source and be right about it.

Theres nothing like a 40 something old man using slang: "word" to be young/cool again :biglaugh:

Help Support Us

Become a patron