Winter Ale Season

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Here's remembering one of my all time favorite beers: Fireside Nut Brown by Leinenkugel. Why the hell they replaced it with Snowdrift Vanilla Porter I'll never know.

pouring-out-a-40.jpeg

I was going to post the same thing. I'm generally not a fan of anything Leinenkugel produces but that **** was delicious.

I recently tried Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I don't know if it qualifies as a winter beer, but I recommend it.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I can't remember the name, but there's a Sam Adams that's not the winter but looks fairly similar (blue/white label) that's really good.

I don't usually try a bunch of different winter ales like I do with pumpkin beers...I use this time of year to explore stouts, which seem a lot more "wintery" to me than winter ales do.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Anybody tried the Blue Moon Gingerbread Spiced Ale? Looking to get a new winter ale for the kegarator, preferably half barrel.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I can't remember the name, but there's a Sam Adams that's not the winter but looks fairly similar (blue/white label) that's really good.

I don't usually try a bunch of different winter ales like I do with pumpkin beers...I use this time of year to explore stouts, which seem a lot more "wintery" to me than winter ales do.

Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat is a good stout, but it's also exceedingly expensive. I saw it for the first time this season today and they want $13.99 for a four pack of cans. I like that beer a lot but I can't justify that.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
problem is leinies insists they didnt get rid of it but its just 'hibernating' or has been 'retired' ... I think goose island has/had a nutty brown ale that isnt bad but not as tasty as a fireside ...

Used to, was called hex nut brown ale, was good, got retired when they got bought out. Wasn't seasonal though.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Out of state forweekend and stopped at a liquor store with marginal selection. Grabbed a Blue Moon seasonal sampler and was pleasantly surprised.
Cappuccino Oatmeal stout - smooth , flavorful and not ovrrboard on the coffee. Gingerbread spice ale - nicley spiced and very drinkable. Cinnamon Horrchinnta - very nice beer ,especially if you have a sweet toot. Cinnamon and nutmeg upfront and a hint of vanilla on the back end.
Nothing too over the top. If you are not sure about craft beer this would be a great place to start.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
The Anchor Steam Christmas is out now. I wasn't disappointed. 2012 was still my favorite year.

I also had some Bell's Christmas that was great.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron