Winter Walking Tips

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
seriously Iowa State? You spent time and money on this?

https://www-ehs.sws.iastate.edu/prep/weather/winter/walking

Helpful Hints When Walking on Snow or Ice

1. Plan ahead, give yourself sufficient time and plan your route.

• Traffic moves slowly in snowy conditions
  • Give yourself extra time--don't assume that a clear path for driving and walking will be available

1. Wear shoes or boots that provide traction on snow and ice.

• Footwear made of rubber and neoprene composite provide better traction than plastic and leather soles
  • Wear flat-soled shoes. Avoid shoes with heels
  • Products are available with abrasive soles or cleats that provide special traction for walking on snow and ice, such as Yaktrax. [Remember to remove when entering buildings.]

1. Use special care when entering and exiting vehicles, climbing or descending stairs, entering or leaving buildings.

• Move slowly
  • Remove snow/water from shoes when entering buildings
  • Use handrails for support
  • Try to keep your center of gravity over your support leg
  • Use car for support
  • Keep your hands out of your pockets

1. Walk on designated walkways as much as possible.

• Don’t take shortcuts over snow piles or areas where snow and ice removal is not feasible
  • Look ahead when you walk. A sidewalk completely covered with ice may require travel along its grassy edge for traction
  • Don’t text or read while walking

1. Walk safely on snow or ice.

• Take short steps or shuffle for stability
  • Bend slightly forward and walk flat-footed with your center of gravity directly over your feet as much as possible
  • Keep your hands out of your pockets
  • Be prepared to fall. If you fall, fall with sequential contacts at your thigh, hip and shoulder. Avoid using outstretched arms to brace yourself
  • Bend your back and head forward to avoid hitting your head against the ground

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
When I lived in Friley we had fun watching out the window at people falling on the ice. The most common place they fell was when stepping off the curb or off the bottom step at the UDCC.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
When I lived in Friley we had fun watching out the window at people falling on the ice. The most common place they fell was when stepping off the curb or off the bottom step at the UDCC.

i hated the ice polishers (tractors with spinning brush on front)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Well, they get some kids from the south or overseas that never see snow I suppose. Still seems kinda dumb. Maybe printing that gets them a lower liability insurance rate.

My daughter texted that she turfed it this morning on campus... of course, she got tagged by a CyRide last week too. Good start to 2015.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Well, they get some kids from the south or overseas that never see snow I suppose. Still seems kinda dumb. Maybe printing that gets them a lower liability insurance rate.

My daughter texted that she turfed it this morning on campus... of course, she got tagged by a CyRide last week too. Good start to 2015.
How do you get hit by a bus?

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

Good liability defense. Showed a proper standard of care. If cities can lose $2 mill for sledding accidents, better prep your defense.

Help Support Us

Become a patron