WNBA Finals -- Lacey on the bench

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I was watching the WNBA finals last night and after starting point guard Sue Bird picked up her second foul in the first quarter I thought there was a chance Lacey would get some playing time. I was secretly hoping he'd sub her in to be guarded by Shalee Lehning (K-State) to get some payback, but the coach left her on the bench the whole game, and subbed in other players instead (like Abrosimova). It doesn't look like Alison will get to play in the finals.

Alison was our best pro prospect ever from Iowa State and highest draft pick in history (#10) and she's not even playing. The rosters of the best WNBA teams are dominated by UConn alums. *sigh* Just sayin

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was watching the WNBA finals last night and after starting point guard Sue Bird picked up her second foul in the first quarter I thought there was a chance Lacey would get some playing time. I was secretly hoping he'd sub her in to be guarded by Shalee Lehning (K-State) to get some payback, but the coach left her on the bench the whole game, and subbed in other players instead (like Abrosimova). It doesn't look like Alison will get to play in the finals.

Alison was our best pro prospect ever from Iowa State and highest draft pick in history (#10) and she's not even playing. The rosters of the best WNBA teams are dominated by UConn alums. *sigh* Just sayin

Lacey did get in for 45 seconds in one of the games against Los Angeles. :smile:

Pretty hard to get court time behind Bird, Wright, and Abrosimova.

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Lacey did get in for 45 seconds in one of the games against Los Angeles. :smile:

Pretty hard to get court time behind Bird, Wright, and Abrosimova.

This is true. I think Alison will be coming back next season, but here some facts of why doesn't get to play.

She's a rookie on a veteran team
7 of the players have been a starter on this team or another team.
She is the only player that hasn't play pro before this season. Abby Bishop played pro in Aus, and Jana in her country.

I think she'll get better and find her role next season.

The coaches really like her... and they want her back next season.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
This is true. I think Alison will be coming back next season, but here some facts of why doesn't get to play.

She's a rookie on a veteran team
7 of the players have been a starter on this team or another team.
She is the only player that hasn't play pro before this season. Abby Bishop played pro in Aus, and Jana in her country.

I think she'll get better and find her role next season.

The coaches really like her... and they want her back next season.

Even Bishop got less minutes than Lacey if I'm not mistaken.
Sometimes I have mixed feelings: Glad that Lacey was drafted by the championship team but I wish she could have played more. Like BoxsterCy wrote: it'll be difficult to crack the rotation between Bird, Abrosimova and Wright. Abrosimova used to play for Agler at the Lynx.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Even Bishop got less minutes than Lacey if I'm not mistaken.
Sometimes I have mixed feelings: Glad that Lacey was drafted by the championship team but I wish she could have played more

Lacey and Bishop averaged about the same mpg, but Lacey did appear in 5 more games so she did get more playing time.

One thing about being drafted by the Storm -- they needed a backup PG when they drafted her, which meant she had a pretty easy path to making the roster. I think overall the Storm has been a positive thing, even if pt has been hard to come by.

Side note: each player on the champion team gets a $10,500 bonus. Considering Lacey's probably making around $38K, that's a nice chunk of change.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys seen the pics of Seattle raising their flags on the Needle ? There was Aus' pic in Swin Cash's twitter saying someone forgot her coat.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
One thing about being drafted by the Storm -- they needed a backup PG when they drafted her, which meant she had a pretty easy path to making the roster. I think overall the Storm has been a positive thing, even if pt has been hard to come by..

Agree Mred, and the signing of SA was a clear sign that Aus's playing time would be very limited. If Aus can stay healthy and stick with it, she'll get more minutes over the coming seasons. IMO, SA's time is short in Seattle.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Side note: each player on the champion team gets a $10,500 bonus. Considering Lacey's probably making around $38K, that's a nice chunk of change.

Actually decent money for five months or so with a shared car and apartment paid for. The bonus will be nice, assuming the Storm closes the deal in the finals. Hope we see her back next year.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Actually decent money for five months or so with a shared car and apartment paid for. The bonus will be nice, assuming the Storm closes the deal in the finals. Hope we see her back next year.

Even if they don't win, I think the runner-up bonus is around $5K. I think spending the offseason playing in the WNBL in Australia (and probably being the starting PG) will prep her for next season well.

Last edited:

ARSON

Apr 9, 2006
Even if they don't win, I think the runner-up bonus is around $5K. I think spending the offseason playing in the WNBL in Australia (and probably being the starting PG) will prep her for next season well.

being selfish here I know but if I had my wish it would be for Aus to be just a nice role player for Seattle and BA if it meant that he would have his daughter come play at ISU!!

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
being selfish here I know but if I had my wish it would be for Aus to be just a nice role player for Seattle and BA if it meant that he would have his daughter come play at ISU!!

I know his daughter really like Aus, so hoping that gives us some chances. Also, from my sources, Aus is not liking being on the bench, and not being able to help the team, but she is, I think, coming back. They offered I think. I suspect her to get more playing time next season. :)

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I know his daughter really like Aus, so hoping that gives us some chances. Also, from my sources, Aus is not liking being on the bench, and not being able to help the team, but she is, I think, coming back. They offered I think. I suspect her to get more playing time next season. :)

She signed 2 year contract with the Storm so she's coming back and hopefully can contribute more next season and not being cut. WNBA is a tough league despite the compensation level below European leagues (especially Russian) - you see that Courtney Paris was cut (drafted No. 7 she only lasted 1 season) early this season (her twin sister's career was worse: 1 pre-season game before being cut), Brooke Smith was cut couple of times before finding a bench role and Andrea Riley only collected 7.7 minutes per game.