Women's basketball's second exhibition game against William Penn

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I wonder if anyone else finds it strange that this ballgame falls on election day. Is this some form of strange conspiracy to suppress women voting? Are Chelsea Poppins fans Republican or Democrat? I certainly believe this would suppress my vote if I were in the Ames voting district. Is anyone else incensed by something? I am not sure what it is. Go Cyclones, dominate William Penn, wasn't he a Quaker, and aren't they averse to violence?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
dafuq+did+i+just+read+_10fc770b7b60ac243c09c9fc3001ac89.gif

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
it is odd, but I doubt Iowa voting lines are like Florida, so everyone should be able to do their voting and get to the game no problem. Really sickening that they have people waiting 6 to 10 hours in line to vote, and that it takes up to 20 minutes a person to vote.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Also, polls opened at 7AM. I'd think it would be easy to find sometime between 7AM and 7PM to vote.

Moody is out with a viral infection, so the backcourt should be interesting. Additionally, the game will be played like a normal game on the ISU side, not scripted like the first exhibition.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
And just that fast... or slow, as the case may be. 27-20 @7:48

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I missed the first half, and it looks like I'm lucky I did. Up only 8 at half to an NAIA school?

Uumm, it was closer than that. Even though we tower over them, we only had about a 1 point lead with a minute left in the half.

Pop has the highlite reel, getting a rebound on 3 consecutive offensive misses on the same trip.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Lots of missed bunnies and although fast start, WPU player hit like 7 in a row, and clearly needy Moody's ball handling.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
98-55 final. I watched most of the second half. William Penn had some good shooters, and the ISU zone struggled at times against them. I'm guessing if this game mattered we might have done more man defense.

Kidd went crazy in the second half. She ended with 15 points (4-5 3pt), 4 assists, and 4 steals. ISU had 18 turnovers to WP's 16, but that gap had been much larger in the first half.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
ISU was 22-25 on free throws. William Penn didn't attempt any. Since William Penn seemed to mainly be a jump-shooting team, that's not a big surprise. ISU was only called for four fouls in the entire game.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I was impressed, Fennelly was moving people in and out of the game fast and often, but the run in the second half didn't hardly need Poppens. I don't think we are going to have as much trouble scoring as we did last year. I think we are going to have to tighten our defense, but I was encouraged and impressed with Ellis, and the two freshman. The other players were fine too. I have faith in Fennelly to do a good job teaching the kids defense.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Ellis was impressive tonight, to say the least. Kidd also showed, more so than Thursday even, that she can shoot the lights out. Hard to believe with a 43 point win that it was 33-32, ISU, near the end of the 1st half. William Penn, to their credit, did not lie down when trailing 16-4. They turned up the 'D' and forced a bunch of turnovers, while taking very good care of the ball for the first twenty minutes. Like last Thursday, halftime seemed to be the difference in how we played and with what kind of intensity. There are now several 3 point threats on the floor for teams to defend, as opposed to just a single legit threat for the last couple of seasons. It's a lot harder to guard when you don't know who's going to take the shot! Hopefully they continue to come together even more as a team and work on the little defensive lapses. This could be a VERY fun season!

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
Moody is out with a viral infection

When I hear viral infection, I think contagious. I was very surprised to see her in close contact with the rest of the team, especially during the huddle/cuddle before the game. You would think the coaches would not want to spread it around.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Generally, viruses are contagious before symptoms appear and when symptoms first appear. BF said that Nikki was out of practice since Friday but was feeling much better the day of the game, so she wasn't likely contagious anymore.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Team looks good to start. Emiah looking good at point and Brynn running a break.

It's early but we should have some consistency and I think the only constant is Pop. Brynn is smooth, but she was not at her best and neither was Hallie.

Bill has something in mind always in these tune-up exhibition games and it is hard to evaluate what he is looking to try exactly. This was a good team for us to play now. W. Penn had hard working guards that shoot, defend and hustle. Without Moody, they hung in their until we figured what worked.

Kidd and Fallon were nice surprises and may be shades of things to come. I rate the team progress just above a "B-" for the first two games. We all know Big XII "A" games are needed to win.