WRESTLING: Dresser on 2017-18 schedule, date in CY-Stephens

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wrestling in C.Y. Stephens? Wow! Really? Why?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
  1. 6sRsAMr.jpg

This is what it looked like in VT's Moss Arts Center last year.
Post by Judoka in another thread

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
He also used to do wrestling practices outside on central campus at VT, do practice outside (when the weather was nice) next to the football stadium before home football games, and did practice inside a mall. I wonder if we'll see something similar in Ames. He was a relentless and tireless promoter of the wrestling program at VT.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
All of this window dressing is fine ... sure why not wrestle in Cy Stephens? Yet what concerns meis that in spite of all the excitement, this recruiting class is not great. We kept some heavy hitters, but lost others. Dresser (surprisingly) didn't bring anyone along with him from Tech, nor did he add anyone else of consequence.

Now I understand there might have been a moral question about looting Vtech given Brands' prior behavior there. Nevertheless, several national championships (belonging to both Brands and Sanderson) were based on poaching from the old institution. Hell, KJ might have won a national title if Cael hadn't taken his younger brother.

Its a dog eat dog world, and so far as I can see ISU missed an opportunity.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Just because he never added anyone at this point in time doesn't mean much. Who is out there in the senior class that hasn't signed. Verkleeren.

Class is still going on and training for US Open. Whole staff is in Vegas and recruiting.
We might still get a transfer from VT, but might not be until summer, I do not know.

But until we start losing out on Teske, Thomsen, Carr, etc, I am not to worried.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just because he never added anyone at this point in time doesn't mean much. Who is out there in the senior class that hasn't signed. Verkleeren.

Class is still going on and training for US Open. Whole staff is in Vegas and recruiting.
We might still get a transfer from VT, but might not be until summer, I do not know.

But until we start losing out on Teske, Thomsen, Carr, etc, I am not to worried.

Agree. We have some wrestlers in the room that can very good. Just need development, what we were missing as of late.

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
All of this window dressing is fine ... sure why not wrestle in Cy Stephens? Yet what concerns meis that in spite of all the excitement, this recruiting class is not great. We kept some heavy hitters, but lost others. Dresser (surprisingly) didn't bring anyone along with him from Tech, nor did he add anyone else of consequence.

Now I understand there might have been a moral question about looting Vtech given Brands' prior behavior there. Nevertheless, several national championships (belonging to both Brands and Sanderson) were based on poaching from the old institution. Hell, KJ might have won a national title if Cael hadn't taken his younger brother.

Its a dog eat dog world, and so far as I can see ISU missed an opportunity.
I'm not certain it's a moral decision as much as a structural one. I'm no expert but I love his asst hires and if we miss one recruiting class I'm okay with it.

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think it's a great idea. If ticket sales are where they were, consolidate the crowd and noise toward the wrestlers. It could be a very good environment for us. I've seen some of the best concerts of my life there, and they were in the late 80's. Great venue, and under utilized, IMO.