Writer blasts Final 4 hypocrisy ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's huge barf bag. I am likely not even watching. It's the 20th anniversary of the Minnesota Gophers Final Four appearance, now "unofficial" since it was taken away after the academic fraud case involving Coach Clem Haskins. Being the 20th it's getting some press play here which got me thinking about the schools like UNC. Clem's term paper fraud pales in comparison to that of the systemic fraud at UNC yet absolutely nothing has or will happen to those ***** in Chapel Hill.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It's huge barf bag. I am likely not even watching. It's the 20th anniversary of the Minnesota Gophers Final Four appearance, now "unofficial" since it was taken away after the academic fraud case involving Coach Clem Haskins. Being the 20th it's getting some press play here which got me thinking about the schools like UNC. Clem's term paper fraud pales in comparison to that of the systemic fraud at UNC yet absolutely nothing has or will happen to those ***** in Chapel Hill.
Rashad McCants, after talking on Outside the Lines about the bogus African-American studies classes that never met and he still got A's, and how Roy Williams knew about them, and even helped to change a grade to keep him eligible, got blasted by his teammates on that 2004-05 team. That they had "no experiences like that."
He had the perfect response to his critics on the team: "show your transcripts."
I don't think anyone did...

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I guess it's money that drives this behavior. It's certainly not ethics. But the money answer doesn't explain how cheating has been going on forever in college sports. I, actually, believe it's more about fans than dollars. "The just win" mentality controls big time college sports. All four of these guys are tainted to one degree or another. It's a sad commentary particularly compared to what I saw last night when UCONN lost to the dawgs in the women's game. There was a certain display of amateurism in that one that will be lost tonight.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

The Times established that Gilbert, during Wooden's heyday, helped players get cars, clothes, airline tickets and scalpers' prices for UCLA season tickets. Gilbert allegedly even arranged abortions for players' girlfriends.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Great article!

I don't know if I'll even watch either game tonight. Not that interested.

People that have attended the Final Four lately say it's just terrible. Playing basketball in a 70,000 seat football stadium is just awful from nearly every account.

Add in the fact that a team like UNC should not even be allowed to be there based on their academic scandal, and Oregon too probably, just makes it sickening. The NCAA is such a fraud. The things they worry about (like Lucca Steiger), but yet they let schools like UNC get away with everything.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Great article!

I don't know if I'll even watch either game tonight. Not that interested.

People that have attended the Final Four lately say it's just terrible. Playing basketball in a 70,000 seat football stadium is just awful from nearly every account.

Add in the fact that a team like UNC should not even be allowed to be there based on their academic scandal, and Oregon too probably, just makes it sickening. The NCAA is such a fraud. The things they worry about (like Lucca Steiger), but yet they let schools like UNC get away with everything.
I'd sure like to find out for Iowa States sake. To me it always looks really cool.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I wish I knew whether they were showing whatever the presentation is for Monte's award. Otherwise, I have little interest at this point. Prefer Gonzaga to win, but I don't think they will.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't know a lot of details about the North Carolina situation, but my larger question is: Is it truly necessary to cheat at schools like UNC? It's in the top 5 landing-spots for D-1 basketball. Even if top-shelf talent couldn't stay eligible without rigging, you still could get loaded rosters with students who have no major academic issues. What am I not seeing?

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I guess it's money that drives this behavior. It's certainly not ethics. But the money answer doesn't explain how cheating has been going on forever in college sports. I, actually, believe it's more about fans than dollars. "The just win" mentality controls big time college sports. All four of these guys are tainted to one degree or another. It's a sad commentary particularly compared to what I saw last night when UCONN lost to the dawgs in the women's game. There was a certain display of amateurism in that one that will be lost tonight.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/08/sports/la-sp-0609-wooden-gilbert-20100609

The Times established that Gilbert, during Wooden's heyday, helped players get cars, clothes, airline tickets and scalpers' prices for UCLA season tickets. Gilbert allegedly even arranged abortions for players' girlfriends.

john-wooden-quote-sports-do-not-build-character-they-reveal-it.jpg

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Yes, the irony of Wooden's platitudes are not lost on me or anyone else who bothers to look at what was going on in his 'program.'

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I was surprised to see sleazy Frank Martin join the Cryin 'Ole Roy club in his post game. I guess he was showing his softer side as opposed to his gangsta tough guy image.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Yes, the irony of Wooden's platitudes are not lost on me or anyone else who bothers to look at what was going on in his 'program.'

Yup. Has anyone heard Bill Walton's take on what was going on (since he holds Wooden in a god-like status)?

• Agree
Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I was surprised to see sleazy Frank Martin join the Cryin 'Ole Roy club in his post game. I guess he was showing his softer side as opposed to his gangsta tough guy image.

Ole Frankie knows how to play to the crowd. Cheat, lie, act like a complete a'hole, he can still win the narrative. It amazes me how they - HOF Roy and Self included - get away with this con game in the face of all the crapola that swirls about them.

Go Zags!

Last edited: