WVU BEATS BAYLOR!!!

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Everything is all set up now. Sims made a key mistake leading to the go-ahead basket by WVU. WVU should have been dominating but couldn't hit free throws...and I mean bad free throw shooting (about 40%). WVU wins 70-69

Lets see if we can't help WVU win their first Big 12 title on Tuesday!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Aw too bad Sims chokes on her senior night. At least Mulkey didn't do the striptease this time. Come on Cyclones, pull the upset this week!

MntneerLegion

Dec 16, 2011
Guys if your ladies can beat Baylor for us (and presuming we take care of business at home against KU) all the beer you can drink is on me....of course you'll have to get to VA! :rolleyes: Seriously, take care of your business against Baylor.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I watched this entire game. Both teams played really well. That was a sweet sweet way to send Simms and Robertson out at home!! It was even sweeter because Simms tried to Flop to end the game... no call... awesome! At the end of the first half Simms flopped going into the lane and she landed on her arm and hurt herself. She had to leave the court for the final 1:30 of the first half. She did come back I the second half though.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Not crazy about the fact ISU has to play Baylor after a loss. Mulkey and co will be looking to make a statement in Ames. Still remember how after almost losing to OSU last year, they came out and played ISU in the Championship game fiercer than ever.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Not crazy about the fact ISU has to play Baylor after a loss. Mulkey and co will be looking to make a statement in Ames. Still remember how after almost losing to OSU last year, they came out and played ISU in the Championship game fiercer than ever.

That was my first reaction too.

However, it will be interesting to see how they play with some pressure on them -- assuming ISU can also play well enough to put pressure on during the game.

BU kind of buckled under the pressure even on their own court. You might say, oh, that won't happen again. But they do have a relatively young team outside of Sims and Robertson.

Interestingly, in the ESPN game article, Mulkey says:
"We're disappointed, but I'm not disappointed to the extent that we lost a Big 12 championship," Mulkey said. "We may now just have to share it."

That's assuming they win here. So there is some pressure on them.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Here is what the weekend wrap at ESPN says.

Weekend Wrap - One title down, one to go for Chattanooga Lady Mocs - ESPN

Baylor at Iowa State (Tuesday): All things considered, Ames probably wouldn't be Baylor's first choice of destinations with a share of the Big 12 title on the line. All the more so because the Cyclones are finally back on a bit of a roll after wins against Texas, Oklahoma State and Kansas, the last two on the road. Baylor won by 38 points when the teams played in Waco, a game that saw the Cyclones hit just 3-of-25 3-point attempts, but even during the Brittney Griner era, the games in Ames trended toward scrappy. As a sophomore. Sims attempted just one field goal in 35 minutes in Ames. A season ago, she scored 12 points on 10 field goal attempts in the game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Baylor better make sure they take care of business here and in KC. They need to protect their high seed. Remember that they don't have Mulkey for their first round game. Too bad she didn't get a two game suspension so that it might have actually meant something.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I don't think KU will be a cake walk for WVU at home either.

In Baylor's losses this year, not including that wild 4 OT KY game, it has been a very strong post game by the opponent that has won the game. KU - Gardner, UConn - Dolson/Stewart - WVU - Bussie. It is just not our strength this year,

But, I do love the new offensive schemes we have been running with the five out looks and back door cuts similar to the offense Notre Dame runs with their smaller line-up, and I do think with the aggressive nature of BU's defense to run ISU off the 3, this could be good. Moody will likely be guarded by Sims, so it will be up to the other guards to execute. Also, I noticed yesterday that dribble penetration on BU's posts was highly effective yesterday. They are big bodies in the lane, but not "quick" defenders off the perimeter or high post. If Hallie could continue to do some driving, that could be effective as well.

Go Cyclones.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
The other thing will be keeping Moody and Buckley on the court together to the maximum extent possible. Sims can only guard one of them at a time.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It is not our style of play but WVU took it (physically) to BU and it hurt their (BU) game. Sims needs pressure on her all the time as in the WVU game she took 30 shots (next closest player had 7 shots). Comparison to date she has taken 648 shots, Hallie has 216. She has been to the line 244 while Hallie has been their 98. The game for them goes with two people, Sims & Robertson (for her 3's). The next best player is Davis but we have a better freshman ( Seanna) who I believe can give her a battle.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
It is not our style of play but WVU took it (physically) to BU and it hurt their (BU) game. Sims needs pressure on her all the time as in the WVU game she took 30 shots (next closest player had 7 shots). Comparison to date she has taken 648 shots, Hallie has 216. She has been to the line 244 while Hallie has been their 98. The game for them goes with two people, Sims & Robertson (for her 3's). The next best player is Davis but we have a better freshman ( Seanna) who I believe can give her a battle.

Never thought about it, but, this could be the battle for Big 12 FOY!

I am fine with Sims being a ball hog. If she wants to force off balanced shots, let her. I just say don't foul her, and make her take tough twos, no layups, no threes.

As with Griner in the last year, I think Baylor is a better team when Sims is on the bench, just like last year, when Brittney sat, the team played much more balanced. It is a shame that Mulkey doesn't know how to activate her other players.

We all thought Robertson was kind of going to be a miss, but she is a pretty deadly shooter, and she plays very hard. She probably gets the Ice Bath award every game. Got to give her credit, she plays as tough as her mom used to.

BTW - Mulkey needs to hire a personal shopper. That sequin suit was.....well, she certainly spends a fortune to look cheap and trashy.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I hope BF can beat Mulkey....you can tell he detests her.