WVU to hire Stewart

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Saw that this morning. I'd be a little wary if I were a WVU fan. Yes, the guy took his team to a Fiesta Bowl title even in the face of adversity and I think he deserves a good look for the job. However, I would rather my team take the time to inverview other candidates to see what's out there. I think this was an emotional hire and I hope everything works out for him.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Saw that this morning. I'd be a little wary if I were a WVU fan. Yes, the guy took his team to a Fiesta Bowl title even in the face of adversity and I think he deserves a good look for the job. However, I would rather my team take the time to inverview other candidates to see what's out there. I think this was an emotional hire and I hope everything works out for him.

I think you're right about it being an emotional hire. Bill was gushing every time he saw somebody plus his boys just took Bobby to the woodshed. One game does not a great coach make...the ESPN article said he was like 8-25 over 3 years in his only other head coaching job. I think they'll find out next year that it's different preparing for a whole season than it is for just one game.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Well, you can probably strike WVU off the list of national powers in a couple of years. That's good for the Cyclones.

Yeah, they'll probably be pretty good next year still since White and Devine return. Slaton might be headed to the pros, though I think there are a lot of questions about his health due to numerous injuries and a pretty pedestrian season this year.

After next year, the talent pool might not be quite as deep, especially if Rodriguez takes his QB recruit with him to Michigan as expected. Things could go downhill in a hurry if this guy can't recruit.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
We don't really know much about this guy so I am not sure about all the skepticism? The people who hired him know him well...and I highly doubt they thought he was a risky hire!

That said...sometimes coaches fail to produce...that is a fact we know well!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Interesting hire. He obviously did a great job of putting the train back on the tracks after Rodriguez bolted. He is pretty much a lifer as an assistant with the exception of three seasons at VMI. I think much of the decision to hire him is probably due to the thought that he will not be looking at the job as a stepping stone (which many others would have). In my opinion that is not necessarily a wise thought process. However, I actually would like to see this guy have some success!