Zach Attack

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You forgot to add that he quit the next week when he was playing in the tournament that has golf's best field.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Dumb post of the day. Zach just happened to have set the new tournament scoring record at -21. There were plenty of players that were only a few shots back. There was some great golf being played by some highly skilled professional golfers. Tiger is good but he doesn't just show up and dominate a bunch of hackers. In fact... Tiger doesn't dominate as much as some people like to think he does.

How did Tiger do at Quail Hollow? He got embarrassed by a bunch of JV golfers as he couldn't even make the cut. :confused:

I agree with the fact that Tiger doesn't just show up and dominate a bunch of hackers...I think with both technology and training (there are far fewer fatties on tour today) that the game of golf is much better today than it was in the past.

However, to say Tiger doesn't dominate as much as some like to think he does is ludicrous.

He is in his 15th season as a pro. During that time he has 71 PGA wins...3rd most all time. Only Sam Sneed (82 wins in 30 years) and Jack Nicklaus (73 wins in 25 years) have more all time PGA wins. For comparison's sake, Mickelson has 38 wins in 20 years as a pro.

He is 3rd all time in European tour wins (38)...only behind Seve (50 wins) and Bernhard Langer (42 wins).

He has 14 majors...only trailing Nicklaus with 18. The only other man with double digit majors is Walter Hagen with 11.

He has been PGA POTY 10 times in the 14 completed seasons he has played. He has been the top money earner in the PGA 9 times in the 14 completed seasons he has played (never finishing lower than 4th with the exception of his rookie year).

All this while playing in fewer tournaments than most of the other professionals do. I don't have the numbers but at one point he had won almost one of every three tournaments he had entered.

Tiger is absolutely dominant in his sport...a sport where you have to do it on your own and not with the help of another. If Tiger quit today he would have to be considered the best golfer to have ever played the game.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
You forgot to add that he quit the next week when he was playing in the tournament that has golf's best field.

Was it an injury or just his injured pride because of his poor play that made him decide to quit mid round at The Players? Tiger is big baby when things aren't going his way.

I love his reaction to bad shots when he turns around and yells at the gallery as if a camera clicking during his swing was enough to cause him to slice his tee shot 30 yards right of the fairway. :biglaugh:

Good golfers can focus and block out everything going on around them... How can the #1 player in the world not be able to do this?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Was it an injury or just his injured pride because of his poor play that made him decide to quit mid round at The Players? Tiger is big baby when things aren't going his way.

I love his reaction to bad shots when he turns around and yells at the gallery as if a camera clicking during his swing was enough to cause him to slice his tee shot 30 yards right of the fairway. :biglaugh:

Good golfers can focus and block out everything going on around them... How can the #1 player in the world not be able to do this?

I'm not sure why he can't concentrate. Maybe he should ask "one of the best athletes Iowa has ever produced" Zach Attack Johnson. He can concentrate no matter how much Zach Attacking is going on around him.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I'm not sure why he can't concentrate. Maybe he should ask "one of the best athletes Iowa has ever produced" Zach Attack Johnson. He can concentrate no matter how much Zach Attacking is going on around him.

I don't know much about Zach Johnson but I thought he was much younger than Tiger. Looked it up and he is only 2 months younger than Tiger. For the record, he has 7 tour wins with 1 major.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I agree with the fact that Tiger doesn't just show up and dominate a bunch of hackers...I think with both technology and training (there are far fewer fatties on tour today) that the game of golf is much better today than it was in the past.

However, to say Tiger doesn't dominate as much as some like to think he does is ludicrous.

He is in his 15th season as a pro. During that time he has 71 PGA wins...3rd most all time. Only Sam Sneed (82 wins in 30 years) and Jack Nicklaus (73 wins in 25 years) have more all time PGA wins. For comparison's sake, Mickelson has 38 wins in 20 years as a pro.

He is 3rd all time in European tour wins (38)...only behind Seve (50 wins) and Bernhard Langer (42 wins).

He has 14 majors...only trailing Nicklaus with 18. The only other man with double digit majors is Walter Hagen with 11.

He has been PGA POTY 10 times in the 14 completed seasons he has played. He has been the top money earner in the PGA 9 times in the 14 completed seasons he has played (never finishing lower than 4th with the exception of his rookie year).

All this while playing in fewer tournaments than most of the other professionals do. I don't have the numbers but at one point he had won almost one of every three tournaments he had entered.

Tiger is absolutely dominant in his sport...a sport where you have to do it on your own and not with the help of another. If Tiger quit today he would have to be considered the best golfer to have ever played the game.

Yes... Tiger has put up good stats no doubt about it. The bottom line is that as far as your previous post states that the rest of the PGA Tour players are the JV squad.... If so then what Tiger has accomplished has no value. Tiger in most cases doesn't win tournaments in which he laps the field. He has to compete at his highest level to win tournaments by 2 or 3 shots over 4 rounds of golf. Sure he had a few dominating victories... 1 being the 2000 US Open when he won by 15 shots and the 1997 Masters when he won by I believe 12 shots. There are plenty of his victories that came down to the wire and he won by a shot or two which isn't exactly "dominating".

There is no doubt that when Tiger retires from the game of golf he will be the best golfer that ever played the game. Is he right now? I don't think so yet. Jack Nicklaus is still better IMO and several of the players from far back in history that had great success like Bobby Jones who won 13 majors (based on the "majors" of his time period) in only 20 attempts, won the grand slam collecting all 4 major championships in the same calander year, all by the age of 28 when he retired from competitive golf.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron