Zach Johnson switching to PXG

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm curious what makes them better, but still within tour guidelines? I mean, if I had the kind of money those guys have, and do it for a living, I'd definitely jump on the best clubs I could get my hands on, regardless of cost, but I assume that there are certain specs that have to be adhered to.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Apparently the crazy expensive clubs already out there are not spendy enough for people with more money then they know what to do with.

Why roll to the country club in your super car with $1500 clubs in the trunk when you can put $5000 clubs in the trunk.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who cares about clubs? I'm more interested in who go daddy has for caddies. That could be interesting.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm curious what makes them better, but still within tour guidelines? I mean, if I had the kind of money those guys have, and do it for a living, I'd definitely jump on the best clubs I could get my hands on, regardless of cost, but I assume that there are certain specs that have to be adhered to.

From what I've heard from the industry, the guy who started this company doesn't have something large manufactures have to worry about: A budget. Other companies aren't concerned with the best club for the pros. They are concerned with how many they can sell. This was a company designed to make the best club out there with cost not being a factor.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Apparently the crazy expensive clubs already out there are not spendy enough for people with more money then they know what to do with.

Why roll to the country club in your super car with $1500 clubs in the trunk when you can put $5000 clubs in the trunk.

$1500? I guess that would take care of my irons and wedges.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
All of that said, with an unlimited budget the best you can do is Ping engineers and Zach Johnson? Does this guy run the Browns too?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'd like to know the correlation between growing the game and a $5000 set of golf clubs. Is PXG doing something to grow the game that was left out of the article?

I'm a pretty avid golfer - I play every week, sometimes two or three times a week. I buy almost everything used and spend very little on clubs. I can get a decent annual membership for the price of that set of sticks. I look forward to owning a set in two years.

The golf equipment industry is a wild ride. I'm glad there are people out there who keep buying this stuff.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
ZJ and the founder are both from Cedar Rapids and Johnson is like the what #11 golfer in the world?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
All of that said, with an unlimited budget the best you can do is Ping engineers and Zach Johnson? Does this guy run the Browns too?

Huh? A two-time major winner and last I checked Ping isn't exactly small potatoes in the equipment industry. Sounds like a pretty serious investment (including the other pros who are already on staff) from a company that is barely a year old.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What can make a set of clubs 5000 dollars when you can get out the door with a decent set currently for a grand or less.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

A near top-10 golfer on the Tour, and a very high brand of equipment often sported by other Tour members?

I don't get your point by saying "the best you can do". What did you expect, they bring in Tiger Wood's wife to test the clubs out on him?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'd like to know the correlation between growing the game and a $5000 set of golf clubs. Is PXG doing something to grow the game that was left out of the article?

I highly doubt it. They're just in it to make a new name out there and rock the boat. They aren't trying to grow the game, they're trying to win it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron