Zero Star Recruits

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I see on Rivals that McMahon, Tate and Dedrick are all listed with no stars. Looking back over the Rivals recruiting lists for the past couple years I don't see anybody that we signed listed at less than 2 stars.
Does that mean Rivals considers these guys to be lower ranked than anybody we have signed. Or have they just not been rated yet and will be given a "star rating number" now that they have committed.
On another note I see that Damilyn Tanner, JUCO DB with 3 stars is no longer listed as an Iowa State commit.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
I'm wondering if anyone really has much of a handle on ISU recruits. I'm guessing Chizik is playing it really close to the vest on who he is after. Thats only a guess (and maybe a hope) but there isn't much for him to gain on announcing who he is after until they are signed. As for the stars..not sure JC transfers get looked at as much as HS recruits by services.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
They just haven't been given a star rating. They will probably all be 2 stars maybe Tate a 3 star. And Tanner opened back up his options. I think we are still in his top group of schools however.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
dedrick is a 2 star on scout.tate must have been a waterboy because he is not listed on scout.
former cyclone wanna be quarterback turned to tight end tylor lorenzen is a 4 star quarterback on scout and has commtted to play a t university of connecticut.
-30l

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
JUCOs almost always don't have a rating until later in the process, at least on the Rivals sites. Seems like they get one eventually. I always like to look and see who else is recruiting somebody. The school lists don't always mean the guy had an offer, but I still think it's a decent indication...at least as reliable as the number of stars somebody gives a guy, and we all know that doesn't mean too much (I've seen one-star recruits end-up first-team all conference and four-star recruits not even make it in D-I). Tate was recruited by Texas A&M and Arkansas. Not USC and Texas, but not bad, either. Dedrick, on the other hand, had a list of nothing programs...not too impressive. McMahon's list had Illinois, Iowa, Michigan State, Ole Miss, K-State...at least some other major-conference programs. Of course, Dedrick could end up being by far the best of the bunch. I always look at the ratings like everybody else, but unless a guy is ranked top 10 in every recruiting magazine, web site, and tv show out there, it's usually still a crap shoot. Just have to put faith in the coaches, I guess.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
you would think dennis fraudphony at a and m would have jumped on tate. his boy ,dennis fraudphony, jr. is the head coach at blinn and is supposed to be a feeder system for dennis fraudphony senior at texas a and m
-30-

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hope we can recommit Tanner. He is a secondary member who can make some big plays.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
weird that you mention T-Lo in this thread, now he will have played on both coasts and the midwest. T-Lo rules and Mac always sang his praises as a walk-on. He is pretty fast, has a ton of heart, but got stuck behind Meyer and was screwed. He is a hell of a player and a hell of a guy, did an interview for him for a JLMC class, I really hope the best for the kid, he should be a good one and it is a shame that he had to leave, but he got stuck at positions where he was never gonna play. Still remember him puking up orange juice before our history final, ohh the memories!

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
Anybody we sign will end up being listed as at least a two star, its just how they do things. Look at a guy like Matt Leaders, no talk of him until signing day, well he's a two star because he signed with a Big 12 school. I think Tanner will still come here. During my nightly facebook trek I noticed Tanner had written on Bret Meyer's profile. The following is exactly what he wrote:

Yeah my nigg we won STATE. we Rated number 2 team n da nation they wont let us play for national they dont wanna see up but its all good man i cant wait to get out their u better have some sexy's waiting for me hahaha ill get at u later

Translation: Hi Bret! Our team is doing well but unfortunately we will not be participating in the National Championship game. Can't wait to leave there and come to Ames. Hopefully there will be some loose women. Good Bye.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I wouldn't put much faith in "stars" as they are nothing more than an opinion based on evaulations at camps put on by Rivals and Scout. I'm sure Chizik and his staff have their own set of criteria they are using.

Really, the only difference between a 5* and say a 3* is expectations and perhaps a swelled head from the 5* who constanly sees his name in the press and believes the hype put on him.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
"Yeah my nigg we won STATE. we Rated number 2 team n da nation they wont let us play for national they dont wanna see up but its all good man i cant wait to get out their u better have some sexy's waiting for me hahaha ill get at u later"

Must be a public school kid.........

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I see the stars and know what they are SUPPOSED to mean, but I know in all actuality that they are a load of crap. Tim Dobbins was a 2 star. Things worked out pretty well for him.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Im pretty sure having zero stars, means that rivals/scout has not seen the recruit play so they dont rate him.

CBCyclone87

Dec 17, 2006
i think the staff wants tanner, but they are just unsure of his grades. Thats what it said on rivals. Tate's teammate, Alex Cook, is a 4 star and is going to vist in January and Tate says with him up there he thinks that we will actually get him

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron