Zito to the Giants

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
What does everybody think about Barry Zito sigining with the SF Giants for $126 million over 7 years. That is the highest contract ever given to a pitcher. Contracts are just crazy this year on how much mediocore and great players have been getting, the level has been raised and I think this could really price some of the smaller franchises out.

That idea has been wrong as of late with the Red Sox missing the playoffs and having the second highest payroll and of course Yankees losing in the first round. What is the best way to go about getting a championship, develop own talent or spend, spend, spend?

I personally think it is best to develop talent but to spend a little money on holes that need to be filled, if you need an outfielder then spend some money to get one. I do believe the young players will benefit with from playing with an experience player. Sorry this developed more into a rant but let me know what you think. :laugh8kb:

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
My opinion is, speechless.:baffled5wh: That is a lot of guarnateed money for someone who could have elbow or shoulder problems the first year and never recover.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
My opinion is, speechless.:baffled5wh: That is a lot of guarnateed money for someone who could have elbow or shoulder problems the first year and never recover.

The lack of injuries during his career is why he got a lot of that money. He's been pretty much injury free so far. I am a huge Zito fan but I'd agree that he got overpaid...however everyone else got overpaid this offseason too (Gary Matthews Jr. anyone???).

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Gil Meche....what a name.

Teams have insurance policies to help protect against catastrophic injuries. But yeah, Zito is way overpaid now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron