The crowd was very loud and at times frustrated with the officiating, letting them know about it, thus it probably added more pressure to the refs. Yes, they have done high-pressure games, but when you have two of the best coaches in the league, a hectic pace, players going after it, it's a lot to manage.
At least 3 of the fouls on Pop were either not fouls or calls that they have not been making this year. The long delay (when ISU had momentum) to check the monitor was apparently to see if Pop elbowed Griffin on a previous play when Griffin ended up on the floor. It didn't look like there was even any contact. I suppose it's the rule that if a coach says it happened the refs have to check, but it is just another indication that the refs were not really on top of things.
Despite some underwhelming stats for Pop and Anna, as noted in the original post, they hit some really key shots at key times.
More than that though, they anchored ISU's interior defense on Griffin and McFarland. The OU bigs had only 10 points total on 3 of 9 shooting.
Coale was right. Ellenberg also fouled her!
How did we not get Manning from Ankeny? I was surprised to see an Iowa girl on the OU team. I did some searching and I'm not finding much outside of some talk of her ACL tear.
Also her non-playing, but sitting on the bench dress was a bit awkward.
I bought a 5 pack to the women's games this year so I haven't seen more than 3 games between them on TV and in person so far. But... I have noticed some great improvements in this team from last year.
1. Prins: It may have taken her 4 years to finally figure this out but she is FINALLY using her height to her advantage and shooting over defenders in the post. I have always thought she was way too soft and scared of contact in the paint for being the tallest player on the court in nearly every game she isn't playing against Griner and it looks like she finally figured it out.
2. Moody: a lot more aggressive attacking the basket and a lot more under control running the offense this year. Can't wait to see how good she can be by her senior year once she adds a more consistent jump shot to her game.
3. Poppens: she's been great from day one but if you were to compare her free throw shooting from her freshman years to this year it is night and day. Just adding that 1 extra thing to her game will go a long ways for as much contact as she takes with her physical game.
4. Kidd Blaskowsky: I have a feeling she is going to be one of the better players to come through the program by the time she graduates. She just has an edge to her when she is in the game and has such a sweet stroke from 3 point land. If she adds more to her game by taking defenders off the dribble and going to the rim or a mid range jumper she is going to be tough to defend. Right now she is a great boost off the bench as a spot up 3 pointer but you can see the potential there to be a special player when her time comes.
5. Christopherson: She has really become aggressive on offense and there is no doubt she will be the featured player next year as a senior. I just hope she has some help inside with Poppens and Prins graduating.
I look at this team right now and I think it is a top 4 team in the Big 12 this year that will make the NCAA tourney and maybe make the Sweet 16 but looking long term I am a little worried about next season. Losing Poppens and Prins is going to hurt. All the returning players will have to step their games up another notch to keep up the success along with newcomers filling in the gaps. We're already thin in the roster only playing 7 right now so that is why I have concern since we've lost quality players in Schroll and Bingley the last 2 years which is cause for concern that while I think BF is a great coach that he is bound to scare off another talented player if he isn't careful.