High School Football

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Bondurant was up 57-0 with a few minutes left in the 1st half. Then 2nd,3rd ,4th string played. 57-24 over Saydel. That is where I was last night.

rhlentz

Nov 27, 2006
Ames, IA
It's a may be a bit premature to be talking about recruiting Joel Lanning being he's a freshman but he was impressive. Family is big Nebraska fans, but im not sure how they sit with them since jeff transfered and all.

As far as leo his older bro goes to ISU, so I could see him wanting be a cyclone

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
My former high school, Newton, used to be a contender nearly every year. Now, they are the bottom feeders of all 4A teams. They got beat by CB Lincoln last night 52-17. It's actually a bit sad because Newton was such a football oriented community.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
My former high school, Newton, used to be a contender nearly every year. Now, they are the bottom feeders of all 4A teams. They got beat by CB Lincoln last night 52-17. It's actually a bit sad because Newton was such a football oriented community.
They're barely holding onto 4A status anymore, and they have been suffering because of the drops in enrollment.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
True. Newton used to be a powerhouse, smash mouth football team. they just dont have the numbers in that town to compete at 4-A anymore. Waukee replaced them in the CIML and Newton is on the way out of 4-A

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
Does anyone know how the Ankeny sports will be split next year with the addition of a new high school in that city?

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
Ankeny is not actually splitting next year. Everyone will move to the new HS for 2 years while they build the next one, so there won't be a split for 3 more years. Not sure if they have names or mascots picked out yet, heard at one time neither school would remain the Hawks after the split

Reactions: Cyfan322

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
They're barely holding onto 4A status anymore, and they have been suffering because of the drops in enrollment.

True. Newton used to be a powerhouse, smash mouth football team. they just dont have the numbers in that town to compete at 4-A anymore. Waukee replaced them in the CIML and Newton is on the way out of 4-A

It's nothing more than a pride thing. Dropping to 3A would be admitting that you can no longer hang with the best the state has to offer. EVERY other sport has dropped to 3A. I REALLY miss the days of Newton having some of the best if not the best rushers in the state. It was exciting to go to the games growing up and watching some of the best football in the state. It honestly feels like a part of me has died. I hope that a few more large employers get back into Newton to increase the population and try and get themselves back into where we were just 5 years ago.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
It's nothing more than a pride thing. Dropping to 3A would be admitting that you can no longer hang with the best the state has to offer. EVERY other sport has dropped to 3A. I REALLY miss the days of Newton having some of the best if not the best rushers in the state. It was exciting to go to the games growing up and watching some of the best football in the state. It honestly feels like a part of me has died. I hope that a few more large employers get back into Newton to increase the population and try and get themselves back into where we were just 5 years ago.
Class is designated by school size, not power. If they dropped to 3A in football, they'd fair a helluva lot better than they are now.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Class is designated by school size, not power. If they dropped to 3A in football, they'd fair a helluva lot better than they are now.

I know that. That's why I said it's a pride thing. Competition is at it's best in 4A and a drop to 3A would be a tough, tough pill for people to swallow. They would definitely be much more competitive at the 3A level, but I think that they would have to be forced to drop a level.