Achilles Heel

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Which is exactly what they did last year. We haven’t shown that we can make them pay when they blitz. If Campbell is paying attention to details, he’ll expect it out of Herman next year and burn Texas.

This is what drives me crazy.....Herman won't do the same thing next year. He'll do something different AND different than on the available film from the week before....duh..... How hard is it to change tendencies??? good grief. It's like the difference between dumb coaches and smart coaches. People act like blitzing or not blitzing is some sort of mysterious, complex voodoo science. It's not chess...its football. This coaching staff should have had some solutions to last night by the third series--Minimum--with the play calling. oh well.
They sure have a lot of Ernest movies on Vudu......does anybody watch that stuff?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
i have to start out by saying that I’m pleased not to see any major meltdowns going on in this forum today. Er, so far.

Well admittedly, there is that “Worst loss on program history?” thread, but I’m not going into that one. All that I’ll say in response is, “Puh-lease”,

As far as yesterday? Well, it’s not like we couldn’t have seen it coming. Like we hadn’t seen it coming, all the way from the preseason. We all did.

Yep, I’m talking about the offensive line.

Sure, there are other reasons that we lost. The team, especially the defense, didn’t quite seem to have the same intensity as it usually has in the past. We were missing Montgomery for a half.

I can’t help but have a sneaking suspicion that, had we had David for the whole game, we might have managed to grit out a win. And that defense? They still only gave up 24 points to a talented Longhorn team.

That’s winnable football. With a good offense.

I’ll be honest. I’m no Jeff Woody or Ben Bruins when it comes to analysis. But it seems to me like the pressure that Texas consistently brought had a lot to do with the offensive woes.

Feel free to call that understatement.

The offensive line? Despite the fact that they’ve come together reasonably well, we knew the group wasn’t going to be a strength. To paraphrase Bruns a week or so ago, “When you watch the tape of the running game, it ain’t pretty”.

Sigh.

The good news?

All five starters are set to return next season.

Do you know how huge that is? I can’t recall it ever happening since I’ve been watching the Cyclones. And compared to many of you, that’s a very long time.

Not only will those five be more cohesive from the get go, the puppy of the group, Colin Newell, will have another year of strength and development.

Trevor Downing and Joey Ramos are set to contribute—after successfully accomplishing a redshirt season. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either play a lot, maybe even snake a starting spot.

Several guys that duo nudged past will have that additional work as well. I wouldn’t be surmised to find out in the Spring that some of those guys have been a bit dinged up. Alex Kleinow, Robert Hudson and Jeff Nogaj all have a chance to crack the two deep—and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Zach Ross grab the backup center spot, a year further removed from surgery.

Then, of course, there’s a very solid group of commits. And I wouldn’t mind if someone like Danielson Ike decided to join the party. No, I don’t expect any of them to grab a starting spot (any more than I expected Rose to), but the future looks solid in 2019–and bright in 2020, going forward.

Pour the Kool-Aid.

Go Cyclones!

Yeah, the staff clearly knows that the offensive line is hugely important, and they've been developing them as fast as they can. The defensive line too, but I think they struck gold there in recruiting guys who were ready earlier. I expect this to be a strength going forward.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
The good news?

All five starters are set to return next season.
Not so sure that this is a good thing other than it does set the floor for expectations for next year. Not horrible but not good by any means.

Hopefully there will be 1 or 2 guys step up and beat out the current starters or we will be sitting here next fall after a loss like this going all Yogi Berra with "It's like deja vu all over again"

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Wait till Monday. Most of the posting on CF is done on company time M-F. :rolleyes:

Plus this loss was more depression inducing than anger inducing after our horrible start and nice five game recovery.
afeb88c226d9810cf4348d8292ec2915450bd5f38b3f89b709179f8ac9e167f4.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Texas did the same thing last year - bring a lot of pressure against ISU's terrible o-line and force the QB to make mistakes. We all know what happened there. Jacob Park had an awful game. So of course they are gonna do the same to a true freshman. We should have game planned for that.

I'll be curious what Jay has to say in his Sunday After column. The O line wasn't good but to me it seemed like our players were unprepared or didn't execute the right counters to their blitzes.

Texas on the other hand did a great job picking up our blitzes and then attacked the open space the blitzer came from.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is what drives me crazy.....Herman won't do the same thing next year. He'll do something different AND different than on the available film from the week before....duh..... How hard is it to change tendencies??? good grief. It's like the difference between dumb coaches and smart coaches. People act like blitzing or not blitzing is some sort of mysterious, complex voodoo science. It's not chess...its football. This coaching staff should have had some solutions to last night by the third series--Minimum--with the play calling. oh well.
They sure have a lot of Ernest movies on Vudu......does anybody watch that stuff?

I don't care who you are. Ernest was hilarious.

RIP Jim Varney.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I think I can sum it up fairly simply. Texas' multiple NFL draft prospects on defense are finally starting to play like NFL draft prospects. Our young offensive linemen were over matched but they will continue to grow both in size and knowledge.

Texas always has the more raw talent than anyone in the Big XII (OU is probably a very close second). If they start playing up to their talent level like they did on Saturday on a consistent basis then Texas will be truly "back" and that is bad news for the rest of the conference.

My only issue is that Texas stole our defensive scheme (like many others in the Big XII have done) and then used that scheme against us. From my untrained eye their blitz packages looked eerily similar to the ones that we used against WVU to ruin Will Grier's Heisman hopes.

You would think that we would know how to counter attack our own blitzes.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Clonedude for HC! Always seems to have the answers to all of the problems when our team has them! :rolleyes:

I like how the answers always come out AFTER the game when he's had a chance to REALLY analyze all the faults of the coaches in the comfort of his own basement.

I can't recall him analyzing any of our wins and saying how the coaches did exactly what he thought they should do.

This posting after a loss is EASY!

• Winner
Reactions: derpyherky

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think I can sum it up fairly simply. Texas' multiple NFL draft prospects on defense are finally starting to play like NFL draft prospects. Our young offensive linemen were over matched but they will continue to grow both in size and knowledge.

Texas always has the more raw talent than anyone in the Big XII (OU is probably a very close second). If they start playing up to their talent level like they did on Saturday on a consistent basis then Texas will be truly "back" and that is bad news fro the rest of the conference.

My only issue is that Texas stole our defensive scheme (like many others in the Big XII have done) and then used that scheme against us. From my untrained eye their blitz packages looked eerily similar to the ones that we used against WVU to ruin Will Grier's Heisman hopes.

You would think that we would know how to counter attack our own blitzes.

No they didn't.

Trainwreck20

Nov 12, 2018
UT had a terrible oline last year due to youth and injuries. It is the same personnel this year, but one year older and almost injury-free. It isn't great, but it is passable. The oline for any team is the unit most dependent on playing together game-after-game and also benefits the most almost solely due to age/experience.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
No they didn't.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-Orlando-transforms-UT-s-defense-13178892.php

Last year Texas climbed 53 spots (from 94th to 41st) in total defense, and 61 spots (from 90th to 29th) in scoring defense. And the decision to install a lightning package - a formation featuring three linemen and six defensive backs - after Iowa State utilized it so effectively against the Longhorns allowed the defense to maximize its potential.

“When we saw it ran against us on Thursday night in Ames, I just said, ‘Hey, Todd, study this. It’s something I’ve never seen before,’ ” Herman said. “When you put all those guys into coverage, or at least off the line of scrimmage, now you’re saying, ‘Hey big boy, taking up your gaps isn’t good enough, you’ve got to go make a play, you’ve got to go get off a block and make a play.’ If you’ve got the guys that can do that, great, if not it gets a bit dicey.”

Reactions: khardbored

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-Orlando-transforms-UT-s-defense-13178892.php

Last year Texas climbed 53 spots (from 94th to 41st) in total defense, and 61 spots (from 90th to 29th) in scoring defense. And the decision to install a lightning package - a formation featuring three linemen and six defensive backs - after Iowa State utilized it so effectively against the Longhorns allowed the defense to maximize its potential.

“When we saw it ran against us on Thursday night in Ames, I just said, ‘Hey, Todd, study this. It’s something I’ve never seen before,’ ” Herman said. “When you put all those guys into coverage, or at least off the line of scrimmage, now you’re saying, ‘Hey big boy, taking up your gaps isn’t good enough, you’ve got to go make a play, you’ve got to go get off a block and make a play.’ If you’ve got the guys that can do that, great, if not it gets a bit dicey.”

Orlando beat us with the vertical scheme he's used for years. What beat us was basically the opposite of what you quoted too.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Is there any such thing as an achilles heel injury? Like saying I have to have my johnson rods rotated in may car.

Are you f'ing serious??? An Achilles Heel injury is ******* awful! It's a tear of the Achilles tendon and it looks like an accordion running up the back of your leg and your foot just flops around. You have to get it cut upon to reattach it.

PT12Achilles2.png

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Our Oline coach has never been an Oline coach before. He was a grad assistant last year. I’m not holding my breath expecting huge improvements next season. I don’t know why we can’t hire experienced coaches/coordinators with the money we have available.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Our Oline coach has never been an Oline coach before. He was a grad assistant last year. I’m not holding my breath expecting huge improvements next season. I don’t know why we can’t hire experienced coaches/coordinators with the money we have available.

That inexperienced line coach played in this system for five years [3 or 4 year starter] and has been with CMC since he graduated. CMC himself is very experienced on oline matters. If you think CMC isn't directly involved on oline play then you don't know CMC. He knows it is the key and also the hardest to get up to speed. AS you guys say, AT THIS LEVEL, it is difficult to compete when the cupboard has been bare. THIS is magnified 10X when Oline is position. Olinemen have the poor luck to be asked to block athletic monsters who are not Oline only because of their quickness and athleticism. Another words, to good to play oline......lol.