Truck buying recommendations

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Get your self a new Ram 1500 crew cab. I had a 17' Ram 1500 quad cab that I just traded for a new family hauler SUV this weekend. The new Rams are amazing interior wise and the Hemi and ZF 8speed have been great overall. I had the low final drive gearing (3.92 ratio) and could still hit 18.5mpg at 75-80mph hwy with aggressive AT tires. Truck would barely notice my enclosed utility trailer when ever I would pull it (almost a 9ft tall wind dam). I plan on getting another or upgrading to a 3/4 ton after our new Palisade is paid off.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Test drive them all and pick what you like. I'm currently driving a '18 chevy 1500 for a work truck and really don't like how tall the hood and dash are on it. Feels like I'm having to strain to see over the front. The mirrors suck as well.

With kids you are going to want a true 4 door truck. Even though most of the extended cabs have 4 independent doors, rear seat space is pretty tight. Especially if you are going to keep the truck for 10 yrs like your last car. I know one guy at work couldn't get a rear facing car seat in the extended cab. Friend had a crew cab F-150 (was a 2012?) and I think the back seat actually had more leg room than the front seat did.

Trade off with the crew cab is you loose a good chunk of bed space. Most crew cabs are only 5' beds. Shouldn't be a big problem for you though.

My '18 Chevy 1500 has the V6 and gets right around 20-22 mpg, with a lot of high way driving (my commute is 50 miles roundtrip, all highway). I do bounce around a lot on the job at lower speeds as well.
this was the issue I ran into with my truck was we couldn't fit a rear facing car seat in it and still have comfortable room for us and 2 dogs. so unfortunately as much as I loved my truck its gone now (sold to a high school buddy so I'll still see it around for now). Ram and Chevy both offer larger beds on the crew cab half-tons for both updated gens 6'4" bed for Ram and I think 6'7" for the Chevy or around that.

I would guess a long history of bad transmissions and overall reliability. Newer Rams are like ISU football. Sucked prior to a few years ago, nationally, still trying to prove they don’t suck.
Those problems are well in the past the new ZF 8 speeds are pretty stout and used by a lot of manufactures in larger vehicles. Me personally wouldn't touch the newer Chevy's and would only look at the 5.0L Fords if I bought anything other then a new Ram.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What makes you say this? From everything I read, the 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 tops a lot of reviews.
This
I would guess a long history of bad transmissions and overall reliability. Newer Rams are like ISU football. Sucked prior to a few years ago, nationally, still trying to prove they don’t suck.
They've "rebranded" for a reason.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
This

They've "rebranded" for a reason.
For marketing reasons. It was more to focus on "brand identities" more then anything. Dodge was supposed to become the sport brand/version of vehicles so the trucks didn't fit that "identity".

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve put a lot of miles over the last few years (65,000 on a bigger year) through work on a 15 Ram 1500, a 17 Chevy Silverado, a 19 F150 and a 19 F250 diesel, all crew cabs. My order would be Ford, Ram and then Chevy in last place by a wide margin. I was commuting more than 3 hours a day and was on the road during the day for a good chunk of the year in town, gravel and highway.

The Ford’s were the most solid by a long shot. The Ram had the most getup, especially when I moved into one with the 5.7 and the 8 speed tranny. I was greatly unimpressed by the Chevy in both the interior and power.

I’ve had a few major issues over the years. The other Dodges at work had issues with the TPM system. It would die on the road but covered under warranty.

My Chevy had issues not having a gas cap. The dust from the gravel would clog the vent lines in the gas filler neck making it a PITA to pump gas because the pump would constantly click off. Would also throw the check engine light on. That was around 900 to fix.

I put less miles on the fords but never saw any at work have issues.

That being said, i switched jobs and I drive a Buick lacrosse now since I’m commuting 60 miles a day on my own dime. Trucks are crazy expensive to put miles on. I am currently looking for a 70s or 80s era truck as a project and to use when I need to haul something. Waaaaay more cost efficient even though I use trucks to haul **** a lot.

I’ve driven more of them prior if your looking older than that. Just PM me if you have any questions on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: clone4life82

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Hey all, figure there are a ton of truck owners on here and everyone probably needs a break from talking about the game yesterday so I should get some decent advice. I’ve owned a Toyota Camry for 10 years now and our other vehicle is a Pacifica. Looking at upgrading to something with a little more room for the kids and something that is bigger, handles better in the winter, can haul stuff like kids sporting gear or other items and has the ability to tow. Have looked at SUVs and am not sold on that route (owned two different ones before the Camry). Have never owned a truck before so I’ll take whatever advice you want to throw my way. I’m kind of leaning towards the dodge ram 1500 size truck or like model in the Chevy, ford, or gmc. Any input is appreciated! Alright. Go!

get a jackd up one, 8.9 apr % @ my dealer now

Last edited:

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If you keep your vehicles a long time, the domestic nameplates are really bad for corrosion. The body shop we use said Tundra and Nissan blow the doors off Chevy, Ram and Ford when it comes to corrosion.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I’ve had several different trucks for work. The newer Dodge Rams at the upper trim levels are the best riding trucks I have ever ridden in. They ride like a car. The fords probably ride the most like a truck - a little stiffer (I know, TWSS).. They also seem to sit up higher, giving you a better view of the road but less responsiveness in handling. None of the big American three are great from a build quality but Dodge seems to have more issues. They had an eco diesel that would get 26 on the highway but had so many problems, I don’t even think they sell it anymore.

Of the three, I personally own a Ford.

Reactions: clone4life82

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I’ve had several different trucks for work. The newer Dodge Rams at the upper trim levels are the best riding trucks I have ever ridden in. They ride like a car. The fords probably ride the most like a truck - a little stiffer (I know, TWSS).. They also seem to sit up higher, giving you a better view of the road but less responsiveness in handling. None of the big American three are great from a build quality but Dodge seems to have more issues. They had an eco diesel that would get 26 on the highway but had so many problems, I don’t even think they sell it anymore.

Of the three, I personally own a Ford.
All of the new rams have the same suspension set up of using coil springs on the rear that leads to the smooth ride, the spring rates do change based on if you have certain packages though (off-road, trailering, etc). and the EcoDiesel suffered from the increased scrutiny of light duty diesel motors due to the VW problem, so Chrysler had to pull them because of that. they will be back for the 2020 Model year though. they did have a rate of spun cam gears being an issue but I think the after market has a solution for that.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
I had a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and have a 2017 now. Give me the 3.5 Ecoboost over any other engine in the trucks I've driven (I've driven basically every make from the 1/2 tons to the two tons). No chance in hell I'd get a 2.7 EcoBoost.

And I'd definitely get the super crew instead of just a super cab. They so cost more but they also trade better.
I second getting the super crew on the Ford. I'm fairly tall and wouldn't mine having to ride in the back of mine at all. Fold the seats up and it feels like you have acres of space to put tools, groceries, in OP's case equipment for their kids, etc. Also doesn't have that damn hump in floor like Chevy has (or at least used to have) that was always in the way.

Curious why you wouldn't get a 2.7 and if you've ever driven one though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I second getting the super crew on the Ford. I'm fairly tall and wouldn't mine having to ride in the back of mine at all. Fold the seats up and it feels like you have acres of space to put tools, groceries, in OP's case equipment for their kids, etc. Also doesn't have that damn hump in floor like Chevy has (or at least used to have) that was always in the way.

Curious why you wouldn't get a 2.7 and if you've ever driven one though.
I've driven it...it just didn't quite have enough juice for me for a truck.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I owned Ford trucks for years until my last one was a lemon. I drive a Toyota Tundra now and it's been a great truck.

What do you like most about the Tundra? How's the power? How many miles have you put on it?

I always forget about foreign autos when I think trucks. My mind still thinks the best trucks are always from US brands (not correct, of course). What's your thoughts, having driven both?

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
probably not your preference, but its hard to beat a well taken care of 1999-2005 gm truck (1500 silverado or sierra). New stuff? Hard to say how they will hold up.....

• Agree
Reactions: KcCyclone77

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm a die-hard Chevy guy. If you have kids, I'd recommend the crew cab. Or whatever the name is for the other guys.

You'll get some grief from true "truck guys" but I can fit two adults, two car-seats, and pull 9,000 lbs in it.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
probably not your preference, but its hard to beat a well taken care of 1999-2005 gm truck (1500 silverado or sierra). New stuff? Hard to say how they will hold up.....

This is coming from a GM guy, but if you can find one of those without rust issues, you're either really lucky or a liar.
vauEUgn.gif