Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I wouldn't get too optimistic. Does anyone else in college football beyond Minnesota have a heated field? The Gophers only got it because the Vikings paid for it when they were forced to play there for a couple of seasons.

What do they use to heat the field?

Probably not practical, but I picture using pex with hot water running through it like what is used for in floor heating and driveway heating. If this is the case I can't imagine the price being that crazy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Probably not practical, but I picture using pex with hot water running through it like what is used for in floor heating and driveway heating. If this is the case I can't imagine the price being that crazy.
I don't know, but it took the NFL for it to happen. If ISU could buck the trend and get it I would be ecstatic.

Reactions: NWICY

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Honestly I don’t know that you can expect better from the field. The turn around this year was amazing. The field turf team deserves a ton of credit. You can look at other grass fields even in the south and they look just as bad if not worse this time of year. I’m still of the opinion that we need to rebuild the field invest in maybe some heating and see how it goes. I think the end of the year proved we can still get a good surface it just takes maintenance of it.
The field at JTS looked way better than the field at Oklahoma on Saturday.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think it is usually PEX w/ hot water and glycol. I don't think it can be that expensive. I hear friends that have kids soccer tournaments at youth complexes with heated fields in KC. I couldn't go to KU, but at the UT game the field looked a little rough, but not bad all things considered.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think it is usually PEX w/ hot water and glycol. I don't think it can be that expensive. I hear friends that have kids soccer tournaments at youth complexes with heated fields in KC. I couldn't go to KU, but at the UT game the field looked a little rough, but not bad all things considered.

yeah it is. I worked for a plumbing wholesale company in the summer during college and I would deliver rolls of pex and barrels of glycol.

• Informative

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Green Bay uses heat in ground and above, plus grow lights, plus is hybrid synthetic weave in natural grass, this is why it still holds up at the end of the NFL season vs Chicago who only has in ground last I knew.
U of Minnesota has a heated field but still went to artificial turf.

Honestly the field held up better than expected this year with how it started.

But I wonder if the writing is on the wall. I wish I had an actual list of FBS schools still with natural grass fields in our climate zone, it can't be many. I'm going to guess less than 5, probably even including FCS as well.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
But I wonder if the writing is on the wall. I wish I had an actual list of FBS schools still with natural grass fields in our climate zone, it can't be many. I'm going to guess less than 5, probably even including FCS as well.
Just off the top of my head in what I'd say is at least close to our climate zone in FBS:

Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh (but believe they re-sod once or twice a year with sharing with the Steelers)
Colorado...not sure they are exact type of climate though.

Both Virginia schools have grass but probably wouldn't count that as same climate.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Our least concern should be the cheerleaders.

Excuse me?

hGw4Y6G.gif

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Just off the top of my head in what I'd say is at least close to our climate zone in FBS:

Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh (but believe they re-sod once or twice a year with sharing with the Steelers)
Colorado...not sure they are exact type of climate though.

Both Virginia schools have grass but probably wouldn't count that as same climate.
usda_plant_hardiness_zones_map-smaller.png

I really wouldnt count any of those, especially not Pitt, considering that really is a NFL stadium.
We are at least one stage if not multiple stages colder than all of those locations.
I couple may be somewhat close but still not in our climate zone. The Virginia schools aren't even in the ballpark.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Love the grass field looked great Saturday. Negates the speed and talent somewhat of teams like Texas. You win by doing things different from others not following the heard. Redo the turf, heat if necessary but don't go to that awful field turf that favors the speed of the Texas teams

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
Seems like this deserves a bump. For as bad as the turf was in September, not the turf team's fault, it held up better in October and November than I envisioned. That said there were still large chunks of turf coming up and more slips than you would usually see. Once again this isn't the Tim fault, it is just the weather in Iowa isn't conducive to having a consistent surface.

Wonder what the long term plans are here. I am of the mind that CMC gets to decide what is best for the team.

The grass will get torn out after our last game next year. They will start growing our replacement turf this spring in a field west of Ames and then re-sod the field the following spring. All CMC approved!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Has the team practiced outside on real grass since Fall camp? I drive by the stadium often and I don't think I've see them across University or behind Bergstrom since the season started. That may be a clue.