To all the Prohm Haters...

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
If this year ends up like 2018, then fine put him on the hot seat. I still think it is ridiculous for a fan base to put the amount of pressure that we did on a young team in early December. It did nothing to help them out. I don't think it is a coincidence that these guys look better on the road than at home.

I get it people were upset that we let a conference title slip away with Kansas being down last year, but when did that become a fire-able offense?

Hoiberg's 2014 team, that some thought could win the national title, only had 2 more wins in the Big 12 than last year's team. That was with 1 extremely lucky win at home over OkSt and a much weaker Big 12.

Kenpom top 40 Big 12 opponents
2019 - 7 out of 9
2014 - 4 out of 9, plus TCU was out of the top 200!

Reactions: DurangoCy

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I don’t get the Wigginton thing. He was our 5th best perimeter player behind Nick, Shayok, THT, and Haliburton.

Especially when defensive flexibility is taken into account. The Lard argument is tiresome too. His fouls committed per 40 was over 10. He didn't make it possible to leave him in longer than what he was playing. No of the other regulars were over 3.5.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I don’t get the Wigginton thing. He was our 5th best perimeter player behind Nick, Shayok, THT, and Haliburton.

Plus he still basically played as much as those guys and when he was on the floor was one of the featured offensive players. The ball went through him as much as anyone. It's not like he got buried on the bench.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I do not remember any of them saying that Iowa State was unequivocally the most talented team in the conference last year. "One of the," sure, but considering what TTU, KSU, and KU had last year, saying we were #1 with no substantial case for any of those other schools is probably pushing the point a little too far from reality.

They did in fact say ISU had the most talent and so did national pundits.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
They did in fact say ISU had the most talent and so did national pundits.

e9QaKV3.png

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Phil and Pop liked Robert Horry as a sixth man.
Phil didn't start Toni Kukoc a lot of the time.
Pop didn't start Manu a lot of the time.
Red Auerbach and John Havlicek invented the concept of a sixth man.

Minutes matter more than who starts, anyways.

Again, I agreed with you that Conditt should have played more, but do not act like he was somehow head-and-shoulders obviously better than Jacobson or Lard last season. He basically lost us the Texas game at home by missing late game free throws and perhaps lost us the Texas Tech game at home with a lazy inbound pass that was picked off followed by fouling a made shot, a five-point swing in like ten seconds.

Again, show me so numbers that show me that Zion was a better option that Shayok, Wigginton (who you are already complaining was not playing enough), or Horton-Tucker last season, particularly coming off that injury to his knee.

Lewis is a miss. Griffin is trending that way. I like stars but I like good players even more, and neither of those two has looked anything like a 4* rating at any point.

I never said I thought he was more than an average coach.

I just think the evidence you want to use against him is actually pretty poor evidence. There are much better complaints about him than yours.

So lets hear them. He's starting to sound like a below average coach if you have better complaints. Bad inbound plays, not taking advantage of mismatches, not trying to take advantage of opponents in foul trouble...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I listened to KXNO podcast yesterday. Hines and CW both said. Jared mentioned it after the TCU podcast when he indicated ISU had more talent than KU last year.

KU was not the main competition last year. What about Tech and K-State?

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
My biggest issue with Prohm is we only have 1 path to winning and that is scoring 75+ ppg. The numbers prove it out, we aren't going to grind out wins if we're scoring in the 60's.

Against power conference schools in Prohm's tenure our overall win % is less than 50% and 30% on the road.

Good road teams defend, rebound and get paint points.

I like Prohm as a person and don't want to give up on him as ISU's coach. But he needs to grow and be willing to try different things. He probably needs to shake up his staff.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So lets hear them. He's starting to sound like a below average coach if you have better complaints. Bad inbound plays, not taking advantage of mismatches, not trying to take advantage of opponents in foul trouble...

If I had to summarize his major failings as a coach so far --

(1.) He lost control of the locker room and the various egos on the team last February. To act like winning the Big 12 should have been the expectation is absurd, but you all are right we were in a very good position to compete for the conference regular season title. We saw how good that team could be in Kansas City when it won the thing.

So that was a big opportunity squandered, though not grievously so. But it hurt me, too. My concerns are more about it (a.) showing that Prohm might not be able to handle the level of talent you need to win at the highest level, especially given the egos involved and (b.) what that breakdown might mean for team chemistry long-term.

(2.) He has failed to build a competitive roster for this season. There is no big secret or quick fix to the team this year. They are collectively just not good enough and, even worse, the pieces do not really fit together in a sensible or complementary way.

It is a team of 1s, 2s, and 5s. We have those positions locked down, but we lack the lanky, rangy, flexible wings that really define basketball nowadays. Lewis being a bust and Griffin trending in that direction is really hurting us right now. We do not rebound well went we go big, and we do not shoot well when we go small. We *could* try to pay a hard-nosed, defensive or Press Virginia style, but the team lacks an aptitude for it (after a decade of Cyclone basketball being all about putting points on the board) and Tyrese Haliburton, by far our best player, is best served in an uptempo score-first system.

We lost A TON of talent after last year, and not all of it was "supposed" to go. The roster went over another cliff, though one of Prohm's doing this time around. I bet this season would look very different if we had Talen Horton-Tucker back. But we do not.

This team...

Haliburton
Bolton
Nixon
Horton-Tucker
Conditt
---
Jackson
Griffin
Jacobson/Young

...probably has 3-4 more wins at this point.

That was a difficult situation, but Prohm failed to handle it with aplomb. Now he has another 1.5 years to rebuild. If we are not competitive next year, then I would probably say it might be time to make a change. If we look better next year, I might say he can have one more year to see what he can do with senior Bolton and senior Conditt leading the team. The next recruiting class is going to be critical in producing some help at the wing. Dubar, Blackwell, and Foster are all modern 3-4 types of guys, which we need.

The news that Blackwell is the staff's favorite recruit *and* he might stay in Florida due to his mother's health is really not good. I hope they can still bring him to Ames. We need somebody like him to be good to replace Lewis/Griffin and modernize the lineup. If not Blackwell, then we better do well with the other incoming guys.

He needs to replace Tyrese (with a competent PG for next year, not another All-American, I know that is not happening) next year, find some shooting, and hope Johnson and 2-3 of the new guys are solid contributors. Somebody of Jackson, Grill, Griffin, and Lewis needs to show they are not a bust, too, and I would imagine the likelihood of that descends as you work through my list. Pollard is going to give Prohm a long leash, so we might as well hope for the best and try to enjoy. Things will not change soon.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Because ISU needed more players to wildly drive into traffic without even thinking about kicking it out.

WHEN he did though, he'd throw out some pretty amazing passes and set ups for someone waiting.

Prohm saying after the season he should have started is pretty bad though, if in fact it means he felt like LW earned it.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

This...holy cow. We got some crazy people on here.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Especially when defensive flexibility is taken into account. The Lard argument is tiresome too. His fouls committed per 40 was over 10. He didn't make it possible to leave him in longer than what he was playing. No of the other regulars were over 3.5.
I call that the 'ol Jordan Railey

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My biggest issue with Prohm is we only have 1 path to winning and that is scoring 75+ ppg. The numbers prove it out, we aren't going to grind out wins if we're scoring in the 60's.

Against power conference schools in Prohm's tenure our overall win % is less than 50% and 30% on the road.

Good road teams defend, rebound and get paint points.

I like Prohm as a person and don't want to give up on him as ISU's coach. But he needs to grow and be willing to try different things. He probably needs to shake up his staff.
He needs a Bobby Lutz type of bench guy. Desperately.

• Winner
Reactions: CloneFan4

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
What the hell was wrong with Oklahoma tonight? What an awful loss!
The game got out of hand from them when we went small and aggro. They couldn't handle the speed and disruption we employed on defense, then didn't do enough defensively to stop us on the other hand. We were getting (and actually hitting) open looks.

A hot lineup off the bench went out there and produced at a high level, and the rest was an easy 15-point carry to the end.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron