Pete Mundo’s Ideal Big 12

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
For those of you that listen to the Heartland Big 12 podcast, Pete had a fun episode end of last week where he laid out his ideal Big 12 (all hypothetical of course)

https://www.heartlandcollegesports....-what-is-the-ideal-12-team-big-12-conference/

North:
Nebraska
Iowa State
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri

South:
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Arkansas

He left Baylor and TCU out for TV ratings, and WV out for geography. Wanted to bring A&M’s rivalries back. Felt Arkansas was a better cultural fit in the Big 12.

Brought Nebraska and Missouri back because they’re a better fit in the Big 12. He added Iowa to bring their rivalries with ISU and Nebraska. Thought that was his most intriguing pick.

Again, completely hypothetical, but fun to do without much else to talk about.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Texas schools bring the cash so I get it but my ideal situation would be all midwest style conference that includes Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Maybe bump ATM and Arkie and move Missou and KU to the south (KU is just slightly further south than Manhatten).

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I really enjoy Heartland Sports, but I can't imagine the earful Pete got from TCU, Baylor, and WVU fans for that. I would be all for swapping Baylor for any of his adds.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Honestly I thought Pete nailed it.

@madguy30 being from Minnesota I would like to see ISU in a conference with them too but they don't really make sense in the B12. Much more into winter sports, the B10 is a better fit for them.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Honestly I thought Pete nailed it.

@madguy30 being from Minnesota I would like to see ISU in a conference with them too but they don't really make sense in the B12. Much more into winter sports, the B10 is a better fit for them.

OR add hockey to ISU. :)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I really enjoy Heartland Sports, but I can't imagine the earful Pete got from TCU, Baylor, and WVU fans for that. I would be all for swapping Baylor for any of his adds.
For anything period. Hell, give me the Incarnate Word over them. #lestweforget

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lol you might as well move ISU to the B10 then. That would make more sense than convincing the southern half of the conference to add hockey.

Well then what do the 8 teams without hockey from the B1G do?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Arkansas coming back seems like a no brainier and a win win for both parties involved. Less travel to conference members, more conference rivalry, and quite a bit of history with the old SWC schools.

I'm not sure Iowa would fit work too well in the Big 12. Too much history and tradition with the original Big 10 members. I can't see them trading their Minnesota and Wisconsin games, even being in the Big 12 with Nebraska.

As small of a member as TCU is, they CARE about their football program. The lower half of the ACC can't say that with a strait face.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
An implosion of athletic department budgets could make something like this happen, I suppose. Maybe the c'virus results in conferences rationalizing themselves, like getting WVU into an eastern league where they belong. Otherwise, it has no chance.

If the bubble bursts, Missouri would come most easily, many of their fans do not like the SEC, and their programs have not performed well there. Nebraska and Iowa, um, can't see it, but maybe CU. aTm would resist to death. But Fayetteville is so close to Oklahoma, isn't it. A lot of Sooner gear on both sides of that border. So, that might be the middling-case as far as a transition in Heartland's myth.

L

LincolnWay187

Arkansas coming back seems like a no brainier and a win win for both parties involved. Less travel to conference members, more conference rivalry, and quite a bit of history with the old SWC schools.

I'm not sure Iowa would fit work too well in the Big 12. Too much history and tradition with the original Big 10 members. I can't see them trading their Minnesota and Wisconsin games, even being in the Big 12 with Nebraska.

As small of a member as TCU is, they CARE about their football program. The lower half of the ACC can't say that with a strait face.
Im going to have to argue with you about tcu there. Their stadium is much smaller than a lot of the big 12 and they still have issues filling it due to fan support.