*** Official IOWA STATE vs #13 Oklahoma Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Yes that was sarcasm. It's unfathomable to me that people think Campbell is so pillow-soft that tepid criticism of something that is a clear and obvious problem would chase him away.

Of course he’s strong enough. But his perspective of what’s clear and obvious, and yours aren't the same.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
im right there with you. I’ve watched ISU football for nearly 50 years. This is the most disappointing and underachieving team I’ve ever seen. Bar none.For all the talk about the margins and detail…this team has lost in both all season long. It is beyond mind baffling how such a talented squad can make the number of mistakes this team has. I’m hopeful for next week, but not going to be surprised if this team ends up 6-7 on the year. I’m not even sure how I would describe this team to someone and have them believe me.
The majority of the mistakes and "losing in the margins" stuff comes from the offense side, and has for several seasons now. This year, Mevis has helped to at least somewhat mitigate the special teams carnage.

Reactions: xboxfever

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I don't like calling out guys but man Hufford had a horrible game - 3 penalties for 35 yards and got beat over and over. His foot work today was horrible.
both tackles had bad games. I guess that is what happens when you put guards in at tackle

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
A lot of upset players in the postgame show, but it was strange that Campbell seemed very upbeat. Proud of the guys etc. not sure what I wanted to hear but I guess not that. ‍♂

I like it. Campbell has a tendency to be upbeat at times when you really don't think he should be. Like, he's always pretty upbeat after the Iowa losses. I'm not sure what it means, but it does mean that he doesn't think the season is over.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I hope people understand that this OL is not close to being a solid Big 12 unit. Not close. Most disappointing was the WVU game when they were running simple 3 and 4 man HS level stunts and they were totally lost.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I agree on the 10 wins thing... I thought maybe 10 wins if we managed to get to the title game and bowl - but 10-3 or 10-4 was the high water mark. I was thinking 8 regular season, then 9 with a bowl or big 12 title with outside chance of 10.

Oh yeah...I was hoping for 10+...would not have "shocked" me but 10 wins is a lot to put on a team whose program has never reached that point! Would have been a blast though...but still...just the fact that we are disappointed in maybe reaching 8 wins shows how good of a job Matt Campbell has done!

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I like it. Campbell has a tendency to be upbeat at times when you really don't think he should be. Like, he's always pretty upbeat after the Iowa losses. I'm not sure what it means, but it does mean that he doesn't think the season is over.
oh its certainly not over - IDK. Sometimes I think it'd be okay if he allowed people to see a different side of him than upbeat.

But it is important to stay true to yourself so its a small thing - on my end at least. I understand the approach of staying up its just... IDK. we don't hurt as much as the kids and players and coaches but we still hurt as fans.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Oh yeah...I was hoping for 10+...would not have "shocked" me but 10 wins is a lot to put on a team whose program has never reached that point! Would have been a blast though...but still...just the fact that we are disappointed in maybe reaching 8 wins shows how good of a job Matt Campbell has done!
This is true.... certainly true. A chance at 8 wins is still not something to be sniffed at

Reactions: cyfanatic

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
oh its certainly not over - IDK. Sometimes I think it'd be okay if he allowed people to see a different side of him than upbeat.

But it is important to stay true to yourself so its a small thing - on my end at least. I understand the approach of staying up its just... IDK. we don't hurt as much as the kids and players and coaches but we still hurt as fans.

Sure and we also ***** about him a lot, so I'm not sure how much he cares about appeasing the fans.

Reactions: stewart092284

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Sure and we also ***** about him a lot, so I'm not sure how much he cares about appeasing the fans.
very fair... and while at the one hand he should not give a crap about my opinion and I truly hope he doesn;t.... as weird as that sounds....

at the same time if he is as smart as I personally think he is - he knows that he needs to care about appeasing the fans at least a little bit, Because our fanbase, even when critical, IMO, is one of the better ones in the nation in terms of loyalty and passion for our sports.

So while I hope he doesn't listen to me - it is important in a minor way to pay attention to the fan base. Pander to them? no. Cater to them ? No. Let their online complaining matter to you? Not really. But I have zero doubt CMC knows better than I that to some degree, even a minor one, appeasing fans is part of his job but again, he already is way more aware of that fact than to ever need me to tell him

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
2020 was a fluke
Why was it a fluke? because we're 6-5? I don't think it was a fluke.... certainly it was not repeatable this season. but that's not the same thing as a fluke.

Are we going to start winning 9 games every year? Probably not although you never know. I certainly wouldn't have picked us to be 6-5 so I guess you never know. But I don't think it was a fluke.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I’m just glad our team is becoming better versions of themselves :rolleyes:

Well to be fair, at the end of the day, win or lose, a college football program should also be about making great men and leaders of life. Are Fiesta Bowls and Conference Championship Games the goal and achievable? Absolutely. But when things don’t go your way, how do you respond? We could have let go today and not fought back, but no matter how bad the game went, we still had a chance at the end to tie… no quit.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
Well to be fair, at the end of the day, win or lose, a college football program should also be about making great men and leaders of life. Are Fiesta Bowls and Conference Championship Games the goal and achievable? Absolutely. But when things don’t go your way, how do you respond? We could have let go today and not fought back, but no matter how bad the game went, we still had a chance at the end to tie… no quit.
very much this....

in a weird way it makes me feel better for the future because the lack of quit shows that the team is still together and buying in. that in theory at least bodes well for possibly beating TCU, maybe winning a bowl and maybe using that to springboard into next year