Gonzaga to join the Big 12?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It's going to suck for whatever conference they end up in...unless it's to stay in the WCC or join some version of the Pac whatever. They are on an island out there in Washington state. Nobody is going to want to travel there for a weeknight game, and they aren't going to want to go as far as they are gonna have to go, either.
Yeah, especially as winter gets going. Although they do tend to travel a lot in non conferences to get good matchups, so they haven’t been afraid to do that to this point.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I ******* called it.

February 4

The Pac-12 or Big 12 should add Gonzaga as a basketball-only member.

September 21

This might be a stupid idea, and if it is I would be glad to read somebody explaining to me why, but would Gonzaga make sense as a basketball-only add for the Big 12 if it goes west?

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
My gosh I hope this happens. Leaning into basketball might not bring home wads of cash, but it'd be a solid way to grow our visibility, which could pay dividends down the line.

If we can't dominate resource-wise in football, than let's take pride in doing so on the hardwood. How great would it feel to have the Big 12 be seen as a goliath in something for a change?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Given how much Yormark has leaned into New York City as an important market, and his obvious connections there, along with his push for the Big 12 to gain national appeal, I expect that he will call St. John’s to see if they will join the league as well. (Either alone as a team #14, or perhaps as a group with some combination of two of UConn, Villanova, Georgetown.)

St. John’s home games against Gonzaga, Kansas, Baylor, whoever else is a top Big 12 team at that time would be marketed as major New York sporting events at MSG or Barclays Center.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Why not grab UConn as well and break into the NE?

If basketball-only then absolutely. It would certainly jibe with Yormark's repeated statements of thinking outside the box and going national. If we add Gonzaga, getting one more to even it out makes sense, and UConn could fill that nicely.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Two things---

1) $$$$$$$$$$$$

2) Not consistently playing good competition after the first of the year hurts them in the tournament plus it gives them a little more cushion for seeding. They wouldn't have to go undefeated every year to still get high seeds.

It will be way harder for them to get a 1 seed, but they'd be more dangerous with the 2 and 3 seeds they get because as we saw last year, the NCAA tournament can be quite a bit easier than the Big 12 tournament.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
I feel like this is a shot across the bow to the Pac12 more than anything. It shows all their members we don't need any of those schools to build a presence in their backyard.

Reactions: Yaz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Travel partner for UO and UW. But we need another to keep things an even number. Wonder if there's another respectable basketball school in the Omaha region we could get?

Edit: didn't think about Wichita St. That could be another option instrad. Throw a couple mil their way.

Biggest money making conference was totally fine at 11 for a long time. If 13 or 15 or 17 makes sense just figure out the scheduling later.

ACC has been at 15 for hoops for a while now and manages to stay #2 in basketball most years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
New big 12 commissioner is thinking outside the box. Thank goodness we got this guy. Reminds me of when we got rid of Bruce and hired Jamie Pollard. Crap has changed for the better since then. Just new thinking

There have been a LOT of times I wish we could clone JP as conference commissioner.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This might be a smart move, but I hate where college sports are headed. UCF and Gonzaga in the same conference is just stupid.

It'll trace back to Pennsylvania to Los Angeles trips . Those two together are like a gigantic X across the country about as far as you can go without going to Alaska or Hawaii.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If basketball-only then absolutely. It would certainly jibe with Yormark's repeated statements of thinking outside the box and going national. If we add Gonzaga, getting one more to even it out makes sense, and UConn could fill that nicely.

But unless the money is dramatically different, would they leave the big east? A lot harder sell to pull them out of there when the big east is already a high-major and they have a bunch of their competition right in their backyard. If I were a UConn fan I'd hate that move.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
I feel like this is a shot across the bow to the Pac12 more than anything. It shows all their members we don't need any of those schools to build a presence in their backyard.

Arizona is packing their bags thinking about a Big Monday with Kansas and Big Saturday on FOX against Baylor. Utah is gonna be left in the dust because of their elitist attitude. Once Arizona leaves Colorado is gone in 24 hours.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Arizona is packing their bags thinking about a Big Monday with Kansas and Big Saturday on FOX against Baylor. Utah is gonna be left in the dust because of their elitist attitude. Once Arizona leaves Colorado is gone in 24 hours.

Wish we could do Arizona, Arizona State and Utah plus add the Zags. I want to punish Colorado for leaving back in the day