Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
ESPN analyst Chiney Ogwumike says that this will not be her last record, but she is going for Pistol Pete’s record. Stated that Clark is in her 4th year but failed to say that Pete did it in three years. Go figure.

Will Iowa hang the banner with or without the asterisk when she passes it?

• Haha
Reactions: 1776

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing for me. The CC industrial complex completely ignores it, though. She is playing a big role in the growth in interest of women's college BB, no doubt. But she is also riding a wave of interest, as well. There have been huge stars in the past, but interest never grew (Tarausi, Bird, Griner, Ionescu, etc). Why is that?

A. No social media. Unless you hit an incredible shot to win a game, women's college bball had zero coverage on Sportscenter. Now you can find all those on IG/TikTok.

B. No TV coverage AT ALL. How easy was it to watch an Iowa road women's game 5, 10 years ago? Before the conference networks and streaming, you were lucky if you could find the game on, at all. Now I can watch almost any major team via streaming. Hell, the networks now have their own gameday shows for women's bball.

C. No NIL, of course.

CC's passing abilities and logo-deep range make her a self-generating highlight reel perfect for our "5 second clip" culture. That's a credit to her and her skills. But people are ignoring that she's contributing to AND riding a wave that was already occurring; she hit her peak stardom at the perfect time.
People try to point to last years championship TV ratings jump. Well, it was the first year of it being in a major network so it was going to get a big boost no matter what.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
ESPN analyst Chiney Ogwumike says that this will not be her last record, but she is going for Pistol Pete’s record. Stated that Clark is in her 4th year but failed to say that Pete did it in three years. Go figure.

Will Iowa hang the banner with or without the asterisk when she passes it?
And Pete did it without the three point line and still averaged like 44 PPG. I heard on Dan Patrick this morning that someone went through all of Pete's shot chart and added in the three point arc and then changed those two-pointers to three-pointers and the dude would have averaged 55 PPG!

And that's assuming he doesn't go for more three pointers knowing there is a three-point line.

• Haha
Reactions: 1776 and cycloner29

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'll probably watch till she gets the eight, which shouldn't take too long, then the Duals at Daytona.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron