Which Iowa border state would you be most afraid of in a state vs state civil war?

Which one?

• Total voters

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
More like Passivists, amirite?

Lots of 'well you may have taken this or that territory but do you know someone who saw Prince in the downtoen Skywalk once?' kind of stuff.
This is true. To this day, I'm proud that I know 2 people that met Prince and attended one of his legendary overnight parties and somebody that met Bob Dylan in Bob Dylan's grandma's house.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Illinois

It just has such a large population and GDP compared to all the other neighbors.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Minnesota would be terrible in a civil war. There are too many rules (it's why Wisconsin is generally more fun). Iowa could easily capture the southern part of the state until about an hour north of the Twin Cities. Once you get up there, most of the rules don't apply.

Also, Twin Citians may not care that much about their metro area homes but they will staunchly defend their hunting/fishing/boating/meat raffle territory.
They could melt all of their snow at once though and basically segment Iowa into smaller portions. I think invading into the boundary waters would feel like trying to invade Russia.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is true. To this day, I'm proud that I know 2 people that met Prince and attended one of his legendary overnight parties and somebody that met Bob Dylan in Bob Dylan's grandma's house.

And see, for example WI just doesn't compete with that in a death by a thousand cuts kind of way.

Violent Femmes? The Bodeans? Was Party of Five really even that good?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
The B-2's would cause serious issues.

Like Uncle Joe said 3 years ago when asked about the possibility of civil war, "We have F-15s." And F-18s, F-22s and F-35s, and lots more. I recall an estimate that maybe 20 percent of the military would go rogue.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
And see, for example WI just doesn't compete with that in a death by a thousand cuts kind of way.

Party of Five wasn't that good but we do thank Party of Five for introducing our special representative to a wider audience.

Jennifer-Love-Hewitt-sexy-gif-jennifer-love-hewitt-43637034-274-345.gif

Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

When it comes to them, we’re good. Wisconsin couldn’t handle the storied Iowa Navy.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Has to be Misey, others have to cross rivers. Minnesotan’s are to snobbish to want to mingle with us. Missourians would walk to Hwy 34 and stop, because they would think they are still home.;)

Reactions: madguy30

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
I went with Illinois. Just based on sheer numbers of foot soldiers they would have.
Definitely not Illinois. The people of the state have no pride and if someone invaded they would actually be thrilled to leave the area and have the opportunity to live in a better state. They would also assist the invading state with getting revenge on the corrupt government. Sincerely, a resident Illinois soldier.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Definitely not Illinois. The people of the state have no pride and if someone invaded they would actually be thrilled to leave the area and have the opportunity to live in a better state. They would also assist the invading state with getting revenge on the corrupt government. Sincerely, a resident Illinois soldier.
In today's world of politics, you could say the same thing about every single state. Hell, I'd live in a lot of other places than Iowa if 1) I wasn't a planned lifer here, 2) didn't mind actually switching jobs, and 3) had the funds to go to more ideal places.

I'd likely be a double agent for the other state invading us.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
This one's easy. Wisconsin is barely on our border, and the ones there who realize we are on their border are either too drunk or too Amish to fight us.

Minnesota would rather burn its own cities to the ground than bother trying to navigate our corn mazes. Plus, they actually think their State Fair is neato.

South Dakota is smart enough to know their geographic advantage is in fighting a defensive war, and considering that the state of Iowa exported more men per capita than any other Union state in the last civil war, I'll be damned if we road-trip the next one. Hilton Magic may travel, but there's no place like home.

Nebraska: They are, as always, defenseless. Not scared at all.

As long as Illinois' militia remains a state-run government institution, we can count on it to be corrupt, impotent and overtaxed.

But Missouri? Come on. That's the only state that somehow started...and fought... the entire Civil War...with itself...and won.

Give me no part of that. That place is a state full of Rorshachs.
21bf1a9ed6123fc487b785e7f0f79fa6.jpg

Reactions: Kinch

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
State most easily defeated due to their own debilitating internal civil struggles: ILLINOIS

State most difficult to conquer: WISCONSIN (I mean, why would anyone keep fighting past New Glarus?)

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
It has to be South Dakota. They have the most mountains. Borders and rivers did nothing to stop the Russians in Red Dawn. Holding out in the mountains was the winning strategy.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It has to be Missouri. We almost had an actual war with them over the southern Iowa border, and they did have a war with Kansas. Missouri is the "likes to fight guy" of Midwestern states.

• Agree
Reactions: cyzygy11 and dosry5

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
THIS is how offseason is done, mother *******!

I'd be most afraid of Missouri and a Honey War II.

Missouri would be much more likely to commit war crimes....obviously. Plus most of southern Iowa is basically north Missouri.

The Missouri Neo Confederates would push the front line to Blazing Saddles within a week.
I would worry that the bottom 2 county tiers in Iowa would secede from Iowa and join Missouri so I'm with you, Missouri is the answer

• Winner
Reactions: arobb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron