Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Apr 19, 2006
Second-biggest bust, corrected. You know the #1.
Ivan "the NBA needs Ivan"? I don't remember his last name ,Chranov or something like that, and of course he never made it here. We also had that kid from Australia way back in the day don't remember his name either but I think the NCAA denied him admission to ISU because UNC fixed grades for their basketball team.

• Haha
Reactions: CYDJ

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018
They invited these guys into their program and within 12 months have asked them to leave. By definition you have either an evaluation or development problem.
They have been here for 9 months. Coaches haven’t even had a chance to develop them or see how they could perform. So it’s way too early to say if they weren’t developed or were not evaluated correctly. They decided to leave instead of staying and putting in the work like BRE and Ward did

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Ask that of all the folks who say we found better players.
You are really off your rocker tonight. Our class was ranked as high as it was because of Omaha and Milan. One is a starter and the other is a bust. Evaluating talent is incredibly hard coming out of high school. Nobody predicted Omaha would need this much time to develop. Why do you think transfers are so important now? We are going to have a top ten team next year and take advantage of the portal to improve our roster. Chill out and enjoy the ride.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Most of the 5-stars KU has brought in have been immediate contributors and in many (most?) cases, bona fide stars. Our only 5-star recruit turns out to be a development project. Is the McDonald's thing that haphazard in assessing talent? I mean a year ago, folks on here were talking about Omaha as a one-and-done like KU normally gets, but clearly he was/is nowhere near that kind of polish. If nothing else, it makes me take McDonald's AA status a lot less seriously than I once did.
Cheick Diallo, Cliff Alexander, Billy Preston, Carlton Bragg. KU got nothing out of those guys

Omaha was rated on potential. He was never going to be very productive stat wise, as a freshman. He needs a lot of on the job training. We can’t give him that imo

Last edited:

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Not sure how you could watch Omaha and think he was close. Give me a guy like Watson all day long.

Wish Omaha the best and will cheer for him at his next stop.
Yeah, even in his spot minutes in the Big 12 tournament, you could tell he was over thinking out there. We all wanted it to work badly. Is TJ’s defensive that complicated?

If true, good to know now. Seemingly a lot had to go right for him to get substantial minutes here.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Lol, "not every single one will pan out." As if we've whiffed on like one kid, instead of almost literally all of them.
Or perhaps 21 years old are typically stronger and more developed than 18 year olds. Did the staff bring in Milan, Curtis Jones from Buffalo and Gilbert from UNLV? Did they have a problem identifying talent with Gilbert and Jones because neither one of them were the “top level” of transfer talent based on ratings. The reality is that P5 programs, especially those in the Top 25, are going to lose at least 50% of their freshmen commits because they are likely playing behind junior and senior transfers if the staff is keeping the roster old. It stinks that Bilew might leave but you know that is a possibility when kids don’t play and he simply wasn’t ready to play a role on this squad. A squad that won 29 games.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I dunno, maybe wait for an official announcement before trashing the kid?
My thoughts as well. I hope he stays. He has the athletic talent to be very good. Folks on here have a good sense though and know BB talent. Omaha's play, or lack of it, was perplexing.

Not sure Omaha wants to wait around on the bench, if it was going to come to that. I really thought he would play a key role next year.

Guess we'll find out today or Monday.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This just isn’t worth getting upset over. The vast majority of freshmen will be roster fillers from now on. You have to be a special player to come in and compete against teams of guys 3-4 years older than you. And that’s what major college basketball is now. So you just don’t have the luxury of hoping a guy develops. You need guys that can contribute now to be competitive.

And every time Omaha got on the floor this year he looked miles away from being able to compete at a high level. That’s not to say it’ll never happen. But it sure looked to be a few years away.

Reactions: CyNews

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Yeah he’s gone. Personally hate this era of college athletics. I’m done giving two ***** about high school recruiting.
Milan kinda stepped in and did what we expected Omaha to do so I would. Get what you're saying though.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Just a bad time right now in college athletics. What makes it even worse is the transfer restrictions are on hold. Guys transferring multiple times without sitting out. I mean coaches have to be exhausted.its 24/7 recruiting including guys on your team.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Lol what? The coaches don’t rate the recruits…As far as evaluation goes, we’re about to have a preseason top 10 team, so I don’t believe TJ and Co have an evaluation problem.

And if you want to come back with the “developmental” problem, then my counter argument is Robert ******* Jones
We don't have a problem in evaluation. Omaha was way over hyped. I caught flak whenever I posted I chat with Mokans AAU coaches and they warned me last year not to expect him to make an instant impact. They had him nailed to a T. Doesn't react well to the game and they repeated a hundred times he needs to learn to shoot the ball better. Talked better about Fish's game than Omaha's. Wish him well wherever he winds up. For his own sake I wish he'd stuck around because he'd be getting better coached. Oh well..next in?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Not sure why everyone is upset about the portal and nil these days. I personally love it. ISU will compete because we have one of the best fan bases in America. That support will always go a long way. Open nil is great. Now we're not competing against cheating ass bastard programs like KU every year. Playing field evened out when everyone can pay. As far as the portal? Give me Keshon and Curtis any day.

matt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ivan "the NBA needs Ivan"? I don't remember his last name ,Chranov or something like that, and of course he never made it here. We also had that kid from Australia way back in the day don't remember his name either but I think the NCAA denied him admission to ISU because UNC fixed grades for their basketball team.
CJ Bruton…?

Reactions: 19210

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I think it is just really frustrating for most of us that we only get a 5-star McD AA about once every 30 years and he is a bust, while other teams get them all the time and they have an almost immediate impact.

Reactions: clone2003

DeBruzzio

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Fort Dodge native
C.J. Bruton

Reactions: 19210

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron