Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Just here to say that was a great display of basketball and Clark was at her best. I predicted she’d get her points but her ball handling and passing was exceptional. She has handled the pressure all season from the fans and media. She has also toned down the embarrassing antics in the tournament that she displayed in the regular season. I was a skeptic regarding how her game would translate at the next level but she proved to me that her ball skills and court IQ will be fine against the pros.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This shot of HVL in the foreground right after CC nailed a 3 is classic.

GKIEWysWIAAbagu

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I haven’t watched much of Iowa this year until the tournament. What I see is Iowa not interested in playing much defense, especially on the perimeter, but wanting to get out and run when they can. If Clark and/or the supporting cast hits a couple threes, the other team starts to panic, speeds up, and starts chucking threes.

The key to beating them is playing at your own pace and not letting the barrage of threes speed you up. You’ll be able to get to the rim, get offensive boards, or WIDE OPEN kick out threes if you’re patient. Tonight Angel Reese flat out refused to kick it out once she got it, even though they collapsed at least three on her when she got a touch in the paint.

On defense you have to run a couple people at Clark on screens and be able to rotate on the back side or play some kind of junk box and one or triangle and two so you’re not giving up wide open shots at the rim. The teams I’ve seen Iowa play were beyond terrible at rotating on defense. I’m not sure if it’s luck of the draw, over attention to Clark, or just generally bad in the women’s game.

That being said, Clark’s talent has a lot to do with the other team looking bad. She makes tough shots and some ridiculous passes that no one else in the women’s game is doing. She puts incredible pressure on the other team.

• Informative
Reactions: Lafaester54

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Just here to say that was a great display of basketball and Clark was at her best. I predicted she’d get her points but her ball handling and passing was exceptional. She has handled the pressure all season from the fans and media. She has also toned down the embarrassing antics in the tournament that she displayed in the regular season. I was a skeptic regarding how her game would translate at the next level but she proved to me that her ball skills and court IQ will be fine against the pros.
She is allowed a few steps here and there

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
If CC was a Clone:
"Spunky, spirited, gritty, determined, competitor, etc, etc..." plus, "the greatest Cyclone athlete, ever."
I HATE Hawks, no matter the sports program.
Undecided on CC...tho as someone here, stated previously, "an athletic freak." Undeniable...duh.

In the meantime, name ONE athlete (male-female) that has exceeded CC's "warp speed propulsion," of a collegiate sport.
Yuh can't.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
VanLith could not guard Clark. She wore down and surrendered just as the screenshot above shows. I can not for the life of me can figure out why LSU failed to rotate a bigger player onto Clark earlier in the game. When they did late in the game, Clark had to deal with a different challenge on her three pointer. Dribbling by a taller player still leads to just two points which still beats a three over HVL.

I wonder if VanLith regrets her transfer decision.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
VanLith could not guard Clark. She wore down and surrendered just as the screenshot above shows. I can not for the life of me can figure out why LSU failed to rotate a bigger player onto Clark earlier in the game. When they did late in the game, Clark had to deal with a different challenge on her three pointer. Dribbling by a taller player still leads to just two points which still beats a three over HVL.

I wonder if VanLith regrets her transfer decision.
Van Lith has really fallen apart as a player after transferring

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Iowa was on fire. LSU wasn't. Not sure why LSU had that blonde girl guarding Clark without any help. LOL....

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
HVL is like 5'7 on her best day, it was a mistake for LSU to put her on CC who's a legit 6'.
CC dribble drives bigger defenders to death. I think Mulkeys thinking was shed rather have CC shooting 3's than collapsing the defense and dishing assists. Makes sense on paper but she needed to mix it up.