Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I HATE Hawks, no matter the sports program.
Undecided on CC...tho as someone here, stated previously, "an athletic freak." Undeniable...duh.

In the meantime, name ONE athlete (male-female) that has exceeded CC's "warp speed propulsion," of a collegiate sport.
Yuh can't.

She's not an athletic freak. She's athletic, extremely competitive, and has elite skill and bball IQ. But not a freak athletically. She's not much of a defender and jumps about as high as I do. Doesn't mean she isn't an incredible women's basketball player. She was awesome tonight.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
She's not an athletic freak. She's athletic, extremely competitive, and has elite skill and bball IQ. But not a freak athletically. She's not much of a defender and jumps about as high as I do. Doesn't mean she isn't an incredible women's basketball player. She was awesome tonight.

The two best male basketball players in the world aren't that athletic either compared to other NBA stars. They both do things on offense nobody has ever done before.

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
She's not an athletic freak. She's athletic, extremely competitive, and has elite skill and bball IQ. But not a freak athletically. She's not much of a defender and jumps about as high as I do. Doesn't mean she isn't an incredible women's basketball player. She was awesome

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Undecided on CC...tho as someone here, stated previously, "an athletic freak." Undeniable...duh.

In the meantime, name ONE athlete (male-female) that has exceeded CC's "warp speed propulsion," of a collegiate sport.
Yuh can't.
Wilt Chamberlin, Pete Maravich

• Haha
Reactions: Pizzapitter

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
Never seen anything like her, nor has the vast majority of sports following Americans, sophisticated-stupid
JFC... Anybody With Half an Effing Brain?
My "NASCAR, redneck loving bar" (rural Nevada), prefers CC over Kyle Bush & Co.
Yep.
One year ago? "WTF with this women's bb ****?"

• Dumb
Reactions: WartburgClone

Pizzapitter

sopsycho
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2020
View attachment 126799
Yeah, you are right. These guys weren't any good.

dumba**
You. Are. Old.
Ps. They were "gamechanger's," for sure.
Not to the extent of CC, for sure.
My previous sentence?
Wish I didn't have to admit, as a born n bred, forever Clone fan.
Chamberlin n Marovich could rise from their graves...play whoever, today.
CC vs whoever, would draw a bigger audience. Yes, "ouch."

Cyclone Timmy

Aug 14, 2023
Just here to say that was a great display of basketball and Clark was at her best. I predicted she’d get her points but her ball handling and passing was exceptional. She has handled the pressure all season from the fans and media. She has also toned down the embarrassing antics in the tournament that she displayed in the regular season. I was a skeptic regarding how her game would translate at the next level but she proved to me that her ball skills and court IQ will be fine against the pros.
Well, she has toned down her antics from the first couple of rounds of THIS NCAA tournament I will allow that.

Best behavior tonight, with minimal whining. She was laser sharp and focused. You could tell this one meant a lot. They will probably be on an emotional high for a few days and come out flat for UCONN. I think Paige has always been a better player than CC, just hampered by injuries.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Yuh can't.

Not college but Tiger and golf as a spectator sport is the best comp. You look at a tv golf viewer in the middle of his dominance and probably 75% of them didn't care before Tiger. The Tiger comparison has everything almost exact. Niche sport, a massive change in the sport's popularity involving race/gender, most viewers following for one individual, the individual is generally likable off court/course but often makes you cringe with boorish behavior while playing the game, that same nasty edge is probably part of why they are great.

The next closest would be Magic/Bird taking pro basketball to drastically higher levels of popularity and tv interest. They also elevated the popularity of the college game quite a bit. It's been pointed out frequently, but it's true that the NBA Finals wasn't even being broadcast live before Magic/Bird came in.

A lot of the massive icons of sports can't be compared because their sport was already incredibly popular when they started. If women's tennis had been less popular with less of a history of super stars I'm guessing Serena Williams would have been a similar ratings driver. Yeah Muhammad Ali was a phenomenon but he was following other massive stars of a sport that was popular at the time, same for MJ.

Way before my time and even before TV but I'm sure certain baseball and football players did something similar for those games at some time or they would never have become so popular.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I haven’t watched much of Iowa this year until the tournament. What I see is Iowa not interested in playing much defense, especially on the perimeter, but wanting to get out and run when they can. If Clark and/or the supporting cast hits a couple threes, the other team starts to panic, speeds up, and starts chucking threes.

The key to beating them is playing at your own pace and not letting the barrage of threes speed you up. You’ll be able to get to the rim, get offensive boards, or WIDE OPEN kick out threes if you’re patient. Tonight Angel Reese flat out refused to kick it out once she got it, even though they collapsed at least three on her when she got a touch in the paint.

On defense you have to run a couple people at Clark on screens and be able to rotate on the back side or play some kind of junk box and one or triangle and two so you’re not giving up wide open shots at the rim. The teams I’ve seen Iowa play were beyond terrible at rotating on defense. I’m not sure if it’s luck of the draw, over attention to Clark, or just generally bad in the women’s game.

That being said, Clark’s talent has a lot to do with the other team looking bad. She makes tough shots and some ridiculous passes that no one else in the women’s game is doing. She puts incredible pressure on the other team.
All good observations. For me it's as simple as for whatever reason, none of the teams they've played in this tournament have shot well. Not one. No idea if that's normal considering the opponents, but I keep getting told by CW that part of what he loves about the women's game compared to the men's is the elevated level of skill in the women's. Am I watching the same sport? Because the 4 opponents Iowa has faced in this tournament could have built one hell of a brick fortress.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You. Are. Old.
My previous sentence?

Are you trying to write poetry?

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
You. Are. Old.
My previous sentence?
That's a ****** attempt at haiku.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
You. Are. Old.
My previous sentence?
Can't do anything about being old, but rather be old than a dipsh*t.

Denise Long. Drafted by the NBA. appeared on Johnny Carson, featured in Sports Illustrated and Wall Street Journal. Before the internet, social media she was the face of girl's basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Pizzapitter

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Talking heads this morning are on Mulkey for trying to guard Clark with 5’7” HVL. Mulkey tried another girl on Clark at times that appeared taller but wasn’t as quick. Affolter & Martin stepping up was the problem that they couldn’t guard. Clark hit those two with Dimes but they also made one on one moves that ate LSU alive.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
You. Are. Old.
My previous sentence?

I would have to think zombie Wilt Chamberlin could draw quite the crowd in any era.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
LSU is talented, but couldn’t make anything…. and CC couldn’t miss. That was ball game.

Biggest shock of the night was easily CC behaving herself for once. Tip of the cap to her for that. Hope she can keep it up. Her Dad can be proud tonight!

She actually did miss, 17 times. But I hear you, 45% from 3 is really good (Tamin still shot 3s at a higher % than her this season!). Overall one of her best games shooting percentage-wise, only 5 turnovers, and agree that it was nice seeing very minimal whining/theatrics.

She'd have a lot fewer 'haters' if she acted like that all (or even most) the time.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
What happened to Ronda Rousey? Women beating the crap out of one another is something I enjoy watching. Playing basketball..meh.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What happened to Ronda Rousey? Women beating the crap out of one another is something I enjoy watching. Playing basketball..meh.
Girls caught up to her, quickly, and then passed her by like a freight train. She was on the tracks.