John Calipari to Arkansas

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The biggest thing with this move is just how big a mess Kentucky is, they have all the resources in the world but in the nil/portal era the only thing keeping them relevant is the name on their jersey. Arkansas has had much more success this decade, so have Tennessee and Alabama, probably Auburn as well. Kentucky is at best the 4th best program in their own conference. The ship was starting to sink, the rat jumped off.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
This thing with "all the resources and money" argument is like putting a dozen super models together in a house and expecting them to get along ... do the chores, etc. Unless you've got one hell of a leader watching the house, it will all go to crap. Me first. I'm prettier. I want more attention and money.

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The biggest thing with this move is just how big a mess Kentucky is, they have all the resources in the world but in the nil/portal era the only thing keeping them relevant is the name on their jersey. Arkansas has had much more success this decade, so have Tennessee and Alabama, probably Auburn as well. Kentucky is at best the 4th best program in their own conference. The ship was starting to sink, the rat jumped off.

That's what i was going to say as well. 5 years ago (well, for many years actually) they were essentially on top of the pile based on their history, ability to basically get one and done rosters, and (let's be honest) they were likely doing some "NIL" stuff before it was legal.

I know it seemed the locals were getting restless as the program was flailing and wonder if this wasn't him getting off the sinking ship before getting fired next year.

I was in Kentucky once at a conference meeting at the hotel attached to the arena and saw a game day...nuts at that time in terms of the atmosphere of the "inside tailgating", lots of folks that looked the part of "rich" etc

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Crazy fans drive him out. That’s crazy. Also insane Arkansas wanted to pay that much to get him.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Mark Pope is like plan H for kentucky but id imagine, being an alum, he would take that job in a heartbeat and for cheap

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Other than money and maybe a big "FU" to kentucky for whatever reason, I really don't understand this move.
I figured he would do the typical Big East move and then retire if anything. .

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Drew isn't a dirtball. Sorry he just is not. He actually has been coaching at Baylor for a very long time and has had very little problems with his teams.
i can agree he has good sportsmanship and runs a clean program. the way he conducts himself on the sideline is too much to stomach for 20+ years from an outside observer.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
i can agree he has good sportsmanship and runs a clean program. the way he conducts himself on the sideline is too much to stomach for 20+ years from an outside observer.
you'll just have to skip over CWs chapter about scott drew in his book

Reactions: FerShizzle

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

What does he do? He doesn’t seem any worse than anyone else.

Reactions: Drew0311

NYCYFan

Mar 18, 2024
I see that a bunch of Kentucky fans don't want Nate Oats. Uh, if not him then who? Some of them actually mentioned Hurley as if there's a chance in hell that happens. I know that there are high standards in The Commonwealth but I can't imagine doing much better than Oats. This guy built a powerhouse in Alabama....in BASKETBALL.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
IMO this is all on Cal. His resistance to grow and adapt to modern recruiting and his distain for NIL would certainly turn off some of today's best athletes. The transfer portal and NIL has "aged" the college game. IMO recruiting is still the lifeblood of success but now there are more avenues for recruiting other than just high school seniors and Cal just didn't seem interested in changing with the times.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
IMO this is all on Cal. His resistance to grow and adapt to modern recruiting and his distain for NIL would certainly turn off some of today's best athletes. The transfer portal and NIL has "aged" the college game. IMO recruiting is still the lifeblood of success but now there are more avenues for recruiting other than just high school seniors and Cal just didn't seem interested in changing with the times.

Cal is kind of stuck on this thing where he see's himself as a savior for some of these kids and he is there to help them. Ummm you only recruit 5 star kids that will be in the NBA in one year. If you really want to be a savior and pitch yourself as that. Go coach Junior college ball. No guys that will be on your team for 5 months and then move on

• Agree
Reactions: Saul_T

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Other than money and maybe a big "FU" to kentucky for whatever reason, I really don't understand this move.
I figured he would do the typical Big East move and then retire if anything. .
I don't see it as a big "FU" to Kentucky, I see a coach that was tired of the fan base and the university and a university and a fan base tired of the coach. The guy has won a lot of games, but I am sure he was tired of the getting second guessed, they have been disappointing in the tournament the past few years, and he would like to coach in a place that was happy to get a coach that could win them games.
Sometimes you need a fresh start, and he will get that Arkansas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron