NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, Clark really came out looking cheap in this whole deal. Sherman was committing $1B for the Royals. Hunt is far wealthier than Sherman and the Chiefs are a far more lucrative team than the Royals, yet Hunt was only offering $300M.

Then the NFLPA player experience survey comes out with Hunt as the lowest rated owner in the league for the second straight year despite the team winning back to back Super Bowls. And the player complaints were all around the quality of the team facilities, staffing levels, amenities. All the things funded by Hunt. An awful look at an awful time.
The passionate no vote side succeeded in completely demonizing Sherman as the worst owner imaginable and also kept ignoring the money he planned to invest. I figured it would fail when everyone who brought the subject up to me was voting no. I’m in the minority who voted yes.

Also it can’t be overstated just how terrible the timing of this vote was, coming directly on the heels of the county’s property tax fiasco.

Not in panic mode through. I expect Sherman will try again for a different location downtown with a more fleshed out plan. Ultimately I think at least one team will end up in Kansas and receive over a billion in state and local incentives for the move.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don’t blame Kansas City for voting against paying for stadium updates. Clark Hunt is ROLLING in the cash over the last six years. And dude inherited the team. Spend some damn money yourself. Idk when it started but they opened the Pandora’s Box of the taxpayers paying for stadiums instead of the billionaire owners. That box needs to close.
True, would be nice if they would, but we have seen over and over teams playing the stadium game and either build me what I want or I will leave and find a city that will. Hell the mayor of Dallas said they would take the Chiefs if they cannot work out a deal in KC.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
True, would be nice if they would, but we have seen over and over teams playing the stadium game and either build me what I want or I will leave and find a city that will. Hell the mayor of Dallas said they would take the Chiefs if they cannot work out a deal in KC.
Relocation is so rare. And the fee for that is massive too, no? KC called the Chiefs’ bluff.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The advantage KC has is the metro area spanning the state line and Kansas is desperate for a team. They even have a special slush fund (for the well connected sporting KC owners who lobbied for it) that takes tax money from sports gambling into a fund to attract teams to KS. Plus STAR bonds.

I expect another round of downtown proposals by the Royals in a year or so. So KCMO will have another shot at it first.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
The advantage KC has is the metro area spanning the state line and Kansas is desperate for a team. They even have a special slush fund (for the well connected sporting KC owners who lobbied for it) that takes tax money from sports gambling into a fund to attract teams to KS. Plus STAR bonds.

I expect another round of downtown proposals by the Royals in a year or so. So KCMO will have another shot at it first.
My best guess is the Royals come back with a better thought out plan and a better PR campaign and they get something done downtown.

Then I'm guessing the Chiefs end up in Kansas by the speedway. My hope would be a retractable dome to try and get in the mix for a Super Bowl and some Final Fours. Maybe some college football playoffs or conference title games as well.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

The Chiefs will have no problem getting something built in Kansas if needed. The Royals need to be downtown. I think there is a decent chance they could end up in Nashville. Id rather be there than suburban KC.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Relocation is so rare. And the fee for that is massive too, no? KC called the Chiefs’ bluff.
Hunt has already said the team will not leave the area, but they could easily move out by the racecourse, its foolish to think they will not even discuss the idea if the city of KC does not give them the money they want.

Oakland moved to Vegas, Houston moved to Nashville, Baltimore moved to Indianaoplis, the Rams moved to St. Louis then back to LA, and a few years ago San Diego moved back to LA, where they started. Yes its rare, because most cities give in the demands of the team and build them a new stadium, those that do not, lose the team.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Either way he's probably going to see at least a 4 game suspension if not more from the NFL for their conduct and substance policies. Fleeing the scene of an accident and now having an illegal substance in the vehicle is not a good look. I don't care what your views on weed are since it is legal in some states but you still have to follow the laws of the state you are in.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Let him set the first 4 games, not getting paid and hope the guy learns his lesson. This is not a domestic violence situation, just an act of stupidity by a young player that should have known better.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
What a backwards, freedom hating state.
Just so you know I dumbed this because it's of a political nature. If you want to talk about freedoms pretty sure that state celebrates some freedoms that some other states would like to limit or take away too.

Let's not bring politics into this thread, he wouldn't be in this situation if he wasn't making poor decisions that led to him fleeing the scene of a multi vehicle accident that he helped cause.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Just so you know I dumbed this because it's of a political nature. If you want to talk about freedoms pretty sure that state celebrates some freedoms that some other states would like to limit or take away too.

Let's not bring politics into this thread, he wouldn't be in this situation if he wasn't making poor decisions that led to him fleeing the scene of a multi vehicle accident that he helped cause.
And I dumbed this because your post is focused on politics, and mine was just about legal weed.

And since I will personally pay thousands in higher utility bills over the years because of the stupid state of Texas and their crappy policies, I will keep making fun of them.

• Dumb
Reactions: CYdTracked