Harbor Freight

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I see Harbor Freight will be opening a store in Ames. I have been going to them in eastern Iowa for close to 20 years. They are OK for low cost items. Not exactly commercial quality, but their upper brand tools are good for home use. At least it gives another option, and are comparable to low cost tools at Menards, Lowe's, etc.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Some of my favorite tools came from Harbor Freight. They have this extendable handle 1/2 in ratchet that I would not give up willingly, and punches and pry bars there are a good value considering how we treat them. And if you need a buttload of combination wrenches, it's as good a place to get them as any, but they don't carry the extended length ones that they used to. I loved those.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Their Icon brand stuff holds up pretty well vs Snap On, Mac, etc at half the price. Some of their other brands also. If I was a mechanic just starting out I’d buy all Icon hand tools.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I used to consider harbor freight tools to be one-time use or disposable, but they have stepped up their quality quite a bit in recent years. Their icon lineup of tools is actually pretty solid and I would say on par or better than Craftsman these days. I've actually started to convert the majority of my hand tools over to Icon.

US general is also one of the best values on the market with toolboxes.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU22CY and Acylum

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Got wrenches a rivet gun other bits and bobs from them. Good enough quality for me and they are cheaper than Menards or Lowes.

Reactions: zarnold56

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Aren't their tools considered single use? Kinda like the plastic fork that come with your lunch? :jimlad:
10 years ago, yes. While they're not top of the line by any means, they have improved considerably. I still stick to mostly hand tools from there, but I've been told that their Bauer and Hercules power tools are head and shoulders above the old Chicago Electric stuff.

Last edited:

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
They have the best generator for the price you can find. Super quiet isnt an exageration, great for tailgating.

I have been eyeing their generators for a couple of years but can't really justify one for amount I may use it. If you plan to buy high dollar or a lot of tools/equipment, definitely join their Inside Club for one year to get bigger discounts on those purchases. I have joined twice to do just that and saved 3-4x the enrollment costs with the discounts.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone and NWICY

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I have been eyeing their generators for a couple of years but can't really justify one for amount I may use it. If you plan to buy high dollar or a lot of tools/equipment, definitely join their Inside Club for one year to get bigger discounts on those purchases. I have joined twice to do just that and saved 3-4x the enrollment costs with the discounts.
Just an FYI, they don't advertise it but you can buy a 2-year membership for $45 versus the one year for $30 which helps lower the cost even more.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Rating Harbor Freight as comparable in quality to Craftsman…..I’ll be courteous and not pile on. BTW, I assume their tools are made in Cambodia or a similar spot in the globe. Any info on where they source their inventory or the history of the company?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Rating Harbor Freight as comparable in quality to Craftsman…..I’ll be courteous and not pile on. BTW, I assume their tools are made in Cambodia or a similar spot in the globe. Any info on where they source their inventory or the history of the company?
I can't speak to their lower brands but the Icon tools are made in Taiwan - The same as virtually every other hand tool these days. New Craftsman tools are a shell of what they used to be before Stanley Black & Decker bought them.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
The low price point has allowed me to purchase a couple things I would normally borrow or rent. Tile saw, engine stand, brake caliper spreader, receiver mount motorcycle rack, etc. Same with some oddball things like long reach Allen wrenches that I use so sparingly that the quality is irrelevant. They also have a unique selection of things that doesn't totally overlap with Menards. It's like having a little Amazon in town.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and BACyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
While a nice addition to that side of town, have to imagine that's going to impact that Ace thats been there for an eternity.
I know that Ace still has paint, grills, etc but their hand tool area, plumbing, etc will take a hit.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
While a nice addition to that side of town, have to imagine that's going to impact that Ace thats been there for an eternity.
I know that Ace still has paint, grills, etc but their hand tool area, plumbing, etc will take a hit.
Free popcorn though.

Reactions: wxman1

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Ace Hardware is a block from where I live and Harbor Freight basically another block. What to do. Ace does have caramel corn on Friday. Ace is just too darn convenient for me.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Help Support Us

Become a patron