Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
The invite to RTTers was put out on here, you could have showed. There were several that I had no idea who they were, but I slapped some ribs on their plate.

I did try to buy off our Pastor. He said he loved ribs so I kept adding until he said he had enough, had about 2/3rds of a rack by the time he thought it was enough. He then had some beans, which a friend of the wife made. Had bacon and everything in it. Mrs. Pastor probably was not pleased by bedtime.
Sounds like dutch oven time.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
MrsWx sent me a job posting from the Twin Cities. I think I would like the job but am getting anxiety just thinking about it.
The TC's isn't really all that intimidating of a city. The rush hour is pretty short and simple other than on 494 in the Bloomington/Edina area.

Things you'd like.

Generally very good schools.
General Mills headquarters so you can find a place that smells like cereal.
Lots of airports. MSP might be the best airport in the country right now.
Tons of bike trails.
The Ecolab building in St Paul is fairly similar looking to Cedar Rapids' tallest building.
People are generally friendly, helpful and polite.
Gopher fans may hate Iowa more than ISU fans.
Great theater and music scene.
Meat raffles and pull tabs.
Boxster lives here.

Things that are negative.

Although friendly, the people aren't necessarily warm and inviting.
Bike nazis trying to turn all roads into bike lanes.
We still have to up with Jesse Ventura jokes.
Home of UHG who might be the biggest single cause of rising-healthcare costs.
Approximately 3 weeks of nice weather a year.
I live here.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With the CCs, the odds are also that the instructor is just winging it as an adjunct. There's just no way to actually put forth a professional effort for the pay and lack of resources they provide for instructors.

It's really a case of getting what you pay for, or likely a lot less.

Not sure if to rate this as funny or what. I’m thinking you are joking along with maybe being serious.

I wouldn’t say that a great portion are that way, but the kids I’ve talked to are saying the recruiters aren’t being fully truthful with the students.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not sure if to rate this as funny or what. I’m thinking you are joking along with maybe being serious.

I wouldn’t say that a great portion are that way, but the kids I’ve talked to are saying the recruiters aren’t being fully truthful with the students.

No sarcasm. It's a sham.
DMACC will say in meetings that 75-90% of their credits are taught by adjuncts. Those people literally don't have offices or access to any sort of professional supplies, like an academic library, online databases, or anything.

They don't care, because they aren't selling quality. A big lesson I learned this semester was to tie my effort to the salary, since it was barely 40% of a TA salary and provided no benefits.

Instructors do the best they can with a bad situation, if they bother, which is no guarantee, but it's a sham.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No sarcasm. It's a sham.
DMACC will say in meetings that 75-90% of their credits are taught by adjuncts. Those people literally don't have offices or access to any sort of professional supplies, like an academic library, online databases, or anything.

They don't care, because they aren't selling quality. A big lesson I learned this semester was to tie my effort to the salary, since it was barely 40% of a TA salary and provided no benefits.

Instructors do the best they can with a bad situation, if they bother, which is no guarantee, but it's a sham.

I will say NIACC seems to have a little higher amount of professors teaching classes. I have oils say 80-90% but outside the “fun” classes I think more than not are. So basically giving them a 51% credit.

It’s sad that they are pushing this cost savings for this. I know the hub classes my son took are poor. Stuff he mentioned was economics that I thought was wrong when I taught and definitely didn’t work when I was in that workforce. By taking the classes, he gets to chew up a couple basic classes and burn up electives to graduate early.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I will say NIACC seems to have a little higher amount of professors teaching classes. I have oils say 80-90% but outside the “fun” classes I think more than not are. So basically giving them a 51% credit.

It’s sad that they are pushing this cost savings for this. I know the hub classes my son took are poor. Stuff he mentioned was economics that I thought was wrong when I taught and definitely didn’t work when I was in that workforce. By taking the classes, he gets to chew up a couple basic classes and burn up electives to graduate early.

I'd bet digging a little would show that they don't. NIACC's percentage should be just as rough as DMACCs simply due to the smaller size of the school. No way they want to be paying full-time faculty, and the area isn't a draw.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'd bet digging a little would show that they don't. NIACC's percentage should be just as rough as DMACCs simply due to the smaller size of the school. No way they want to be paying full-time faculty, and the area isn't a draw.

I’m honestly just going off feel. You very well may be correct.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Technically, I think CCs call many of their instructors "professors" even though that wouldn't fly at a university :) I had some grad school classes (earlier this century) with people working on their masters so they could teach at a community college. The term professor means something quite different at places without the university-structured P&T. And this is not an avenue to start discussing that or some Iowa legislators/senators' views on tenure. It's just to point out the difference in how people use educationally-related employment titles.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The TC's isn't really all that intimidating of a city. The rush hour is pretty short and simple other than on 494 in the Bloomington/Edina area.

Things you'd like.

Generally very good schools.
General Mills headquarters so you can find a place that smells like cereal.
Lots of airports. MSP might be the best airport in the country right now.
Tons of bike trails.
The Ecolab building in St Paul is fairly similar looking to Cedar Rapids' tallest building.
People are generally friendly, helpful and polite.
Gopher fans may hate Iowa more than ISU fans.
Great theater and music scene.
Meat raffles and pull tabs.
Boxster lives here.

Things that are negative.

Although friendly, the people aren't necessarily warm and inviting.
Bike nazis trying to turn all roads into bike lanes.
We still have to up with Jesse Ventura jokes.
Home of UHG who might be the biggest single cause of rising-healthcare costs.
Approximately 3 weeks of nice weather a year.
I live here.
you-had-me-5ce33b.jpg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
MrsWx sent me a job posting from the Twin Cities. I think I would like the job but am getting anxiety just thinking about it.

She has changed her mind about going that far north? Or am I confusing her with someone else's wife?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Holy cow non full day travel day tomorrow, only one meeting to go to and a customer to visit in the pm. It will be nice to not have a full day of windshield time. Got the top layer of mud washed off the truck tonight, not perfect but it's a start. 6 bucks at the self wash and there is still some mud up in the wheel wells, but at least there is none up on the roof anymore #placesBoxsterwouldn'tdrive;).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Get out of Hawk country, man, move north!

Uppers:
You can get a floatplane. Lakes, man, lots o'lakes.
You can bike with old man Boxster (and sometimes even NWICY).
You can road trip down I-35 for games, no big deal.
You can gamewatch with the famous ISUAA Twin Cities Club. We need more cute kids.
You can take Little Wxman to the boundary waters canoeing.
You can hire out Little Wxman to help old man Boxster shovel in a few years.
You can find a million hospitals and clinics for Mrs. Wxman to work in.
You got super fab parks just about everywhere in the greater metro area.
You are still only 282 miles from Oshkosh.
You got your low number of Hawks. Probably less than 0.3% of metro population.
You got lots of theater and music options for date night.
You got lots of weather, you like weather!

Downers:
You'll find housing is kinda tight right now.
No close by grandparental units and Boxster ain't no good at that stuff.
Traffic sucks, don't do a long commute, live close to work.
Cyrocks moved. It isn't quite the same without him here.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Get out of Hawk country, man, move north!

Uppers:
You can get a floatplane. Lakes, man, lots o'lakes.
You can bike with old man Boxster (and sometimes even NWICY).
You can road trip down I-35 for games, no big deal.
You can gamewatch with the famous ISUAA Twin Cities Club. We need more cute kids.
You can take Little Wxman to the boundary waters canoeing.
You can hire out Little Wxman to help old man Boxster shovel in a few years.
You can find a million hospitals and clinics for Mrs. Wxman to work in.
You got super fab parks just about everywhere in the greater metro area.
You are still only 282 miles from Oshkosh.
You got your low number of Hawks. Probably less than 0.3% of metro population.
You got lots of theater and music options for date night.
You got lots of weather, you like weather!

Downers:
You'll find housing is kinda tight right now.
No close by grandparental units and Boxster ain't no good at that stuff.
Traffic sucks, don't do a long commute, live close to work.
Cyrocks moved. It isn't quite the same without him here.
A metric poop ton of snow.

FIFY

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Today is bid day for a large project over at Twin Lakes (re-building the dining hall at the Bible camp). There are several key elements missing from the structural details of the building, all of which will have a significant impact on cost.

And yet, even though we have submitted multiple RFI's, we have no clarification or guidance as to what to do.

And they wonder why I drink so much.

/end rant

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.