How much actual work do you do?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Over the last two years I’ve probably averaged a 9-7 with a half an hour lunch. Probably 8 hours/month on the weekends. Too much CF time and some hungover mornings hurt productivity, but typically I work pretty quickly. And there are always things piled up. I haven’t been without a backlog of work in the last ten years.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Go on...

I think we are twins. I literally just left my doctor to up my Adderall. This really is a self-help thread for those of us salaried professionals that have ebbs and flows in our jobs. Thankfully my workload has been picking up, but I was so slow for months it's been hard to get it going again. Plus I work from home and my wife and son are home all day.

Less adderall, more THC. You don’t need those laboratory chemicals.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneDaddy

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
You know how teenagers will say they're sleeping over at a friend's house, and the friend will say they're sleeping over at your house? Sometimes parts of my job feel like that.

A lot of my job is being there when my boss calls because the client has a question, or a client's client changes what they want and affects what we produce. That's the worst part about what I do, that my 20 hours of "not busy time" are never in a big chunk where I can take it off and do something productive elsewhere. I may have a 15-minute phone call Tuesday morning and 1/2 hour email to work through Tuesday afternoon and nothing in between. But the way my industry is is I need to be by the computer in order to manage those tasks which makes sneaking off very difficult.

EDIT- reading this thread and knowing some people work really hard really crappy low-paying jobs makes me feel kind of bad.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Well I slept about 4 hours the other day at work. Plant ran good! Did maybe hour out of the 12 I was there! Pretty successful night shift

Reactions: jmeeksISU

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm self employed, so if I don't do the work, nobody does. Right now trying to get trained for one job and still handle another is about running me in the ground. They should work well together, but I need to work the trainors schedule in order to be able to do it independently later. I will be an independent contractor when trained in.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I work hard at my job and I am good at it. However, I leave my desk all the time and do random things when I should be working. At the same time if I just sat at my desk the whole time "Doing Work" I would burn the hell out and be bad at it. So I have now justified in my head that surfing Fanatic, Doing chores, and doing other things is actually a good thing for me to be doing. Otherwise, I would suck at my job and either get fired or quit for not making money.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
This is a very good topic. My situation the hardest thing for me is finding ways to stay productive and finding my next opportunity however it presents itself. I'm the one that has to make those opportunities happen no matter what. I catch myself on CF, wanting to go golf or go grab the kids from daycare and go to the pool. Then as I realize sometimes what I'm currently doing needs to stop and get back to what I do. Working from home sometimes makes it even harder, just have to focus even harder then.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Man ... I need to get the jobs you guys have.

I am hourly, paid decently with good benefits. But I feel stuck. Given 50 hours of work to do each week and only allowed to work 40 hours (42-43 with permission). Constant stress, constant pressure from management like "why didn't you get this done timely?" "Well, because you refuse to hire enough people to do the work."

I have to take 30-40 minutes per day of downtime to take a breath and survive. I am kinda wanting out at this point.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

I am hourly, paid decently with good benefits. But I feel stuck. Given 50 hours of work to do each week and only allowed to work 40 hours (42-43 with permission). Constant stress, constant pressure from management like "why didn't you get this done timely?" "Well, because you refuse to hire enough people to do the work."

I have to take 30-40 minutes per day of downtime to take a breath and survive. I am kinda wanting out at this point.
You're in a position that a lot of people are but to be honest you'll just have a different kind of stress. A good option is to look into investing in others if you have a little extra cash around for example. Find someone with a small business and invest in them to get their business to the next level, help them build their business and increase your income without a ton more time involved...just the money. You have to be careful but this is something I learned a while back and its really paying off.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
My weeks are all over the place. I might have 5 hours worth of work a week while I'm waiting on somebody else to finish their part of a project and I might have to put 60 in to hit a deadline. I usually surf CF while my time is being wasted on a conference call which could be 6 hours out of the day.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You know how teenagers will say they're sleeping over at a friend's house, and the friend will say they're sleeping over at your house? Sometimes parts of my job feel like that.

A lot of my job is being there when my boss calls because the client has a question, or a client's client changes what they want and affects what we produce. That's the worst part about what I do, that my 20 hours of "not busy time" are never in a big chunk where I can take it off and do something productive elsewhere. I may have a 15-minute phone call Tuesday morning and 1/2 hour email to work through Tuesday afternoon and nothing in between. But the way my industry is is I need to be by the computer in order to manage those tasks which makes sneaking off very difficult.

EDIT- reading this thread and knowing some people work really hard really crappy low-paying jobs makes me feel kind of bad.

Not me!!!! The entire reason I went to college was so I could get a job where I can make good money but not do much work. My dad always told me that should be my goal.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Probably around 15-20 hours of real actual work every week. But the job gets done, and I'd get paid the same whether it took me 20 hours or 60 hours.

Reactions: chadly82

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Not me!!!! The entire reason I went to college was so I could get a job where I can make good money but not do much work. My dad always told me that should be my goal.

I try to keep this in mind, as well. Rather than complain about being bored, I try to be grateful that I have a job which allows me freedom to run errands during the day, brainstorm woodworking projects, etc. Given the good pay and benefits I had, I'd be hard pressed to find anything better. I may be bored at times, but I'm also grateful I'm not under constant stress.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I try to keep this in mind, as well. Rather than complain about being bored, I try to be grateful that I have a job which allows me freedom to run errands during the day, brainstorm woodworking projects, etc. Given the good pay and benefits I had, I'd be hard pressed to find anything better. I may be bored at times, but I'm also grateful I'm not under constant stress.

Right on. Don't feel guilty, just be grateful. I have the flexibility to take a little longer lunch to go work out, or leave a little early if I need to go hit the grocery store or pick up the kids from daycare, or whatever else pops up during the day. It's great to have that flexibility, especially if you have a spouse who works crazy long hours and has a lot more responsibility in their career. The downside is having a job that you maybe don't have much personal investment in, but as long as you're productive in other areas of your life it all kind of balances out.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I work from home. I have an office in our basement, no TV. If I had that, I wouldn't get anything done. It depends last week I was on the east coast for 5 days, does all that time constitute as work? I am on company time. When at home I probably get at least 5 hours of work in day. But I also do things work related on the weekend and with email on your cell phone it all seems like I do some work everyday. We had July 5th off, but I still had people call me and I answered emails and called some people. When the company pays for you cell phone bill, you really are at work 24/7 and being is sales you need to be available. I can be on vacation in Hawaii and people call. What are you supposed to do not answer it. Plus we have clients in Hawaii, so company does pay for most of my trip. I guess I'm just one that is "working" all the time.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hot Tip: if your leader or boss asks how it’s going or how you feel about your workload the answer is always:

“I’m at capacity, if I need to take something new on I would need to get rid of something else”

This sets you up perfectly to either not get stuck with something new or to shed something you really hate depending on your leader or bosses response.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I've had this philosophical thought about salaried positions for a while now...

If we're paid based upon a 40 hour week, but we don't get paid for working over 40 when it's required, why do we need to work a minimum of 40 hours? Why don't we work the hours that are needed each week and as long as it averages out to around 40, we're good? Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I have a cousin the used to work for the US Census Bureau in DC. He could work ANY 40 hours he wanted 24/7. All he had to do was tell supervisor what 40 hours he was going to work the next week.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Salary can have it's own downsides too (@Cyclones_R_GR8 is a good example) but I'd be looking around if I were you. It sounds like poor management if they consistently expect you to do more work than the hours available because of their refusal or inability to hire more people.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron