Iowa High School Football Playoffs

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
No idea. First time ive seen them so I don’t know their MO. Had a FG kicker so getting within 3 would have been big for them. WH played how they generally do. They carry the ball low and put it on the ground 3 times a game or so from what i know.

We put it on the ground a few times last week as well. Add that to about 100 yards worth of penalties and that's a recipe for disaster, but we still came away with a win. Closest game of the year and without a doubt against the most talented team we played. GC missed a fg up 7-0 as well and had they made it the momentum for them would have been huge.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We put it on the ground a few times last week as well. Add that to about 100 yards worth of penalties and that's a recipe for disaster, but we still came away with a win. Closest game of the year and without a doubt against the most talented team we played. GC missed a fg up 7-0 as well and had they made it the momentum for them would have been huge.

I wouldn’t blame too many of the penalties. Several were pass interference penalties that saved touchdowns.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Dowling is going to destroy Valley. No one can compete with them. They'd be good regardless but when you're essentially the central Iowa all star team nobody stands a chance.

Hell their ******* hawk tailback left a state semi final team to join them. Good luck everybody else.
You may be right but you do realize Valley best Dowling earlier this year though right?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Derek Sobaski was unreal.

https://www.ottumwacourier.com/spor...cle_7607613a-8e6c-11e5-a2fb-ebf7c23953be.html

Talks about both games against Wapsie Valley.

I attended both games, the first game Wapsie Valley just smoked Pekin, the look on the field of the Pekin players was something I had never seen before. The off tackle run that had worked for years, was getting smoked by WV. WV had a receiver that Pekin just could not cover, the kid was a hell of a receiver, but a slob. Would not even go into the huddle when the play was called. Just stood out there by himself, Pekin was double teaming him, and he ate them alive.

The next year in the semi finals, Pekin got their revenge. We were setting on the Bedford side of the UNI dome, for the first game. All the Bedford people wanted Pekin for the finals, we were telling them, "You do not want Pekin". They thought with their running back they would be fine. Boy were they wrong, the game was over by the end of the 1st quarter, like I said, that Pekin team was the best team I ever coached against or saw, and its not even close.

Last edited:
Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I attended both games, the first game Wapsie Valley just smoked Pekin, the look on the field of the Pekin players was something I had never seen before. The off tackle run that had worked for years, was getting smoked by WV. WV had a receiver that Pekin just could not cover, the kid was a hell of a receiver, but a slob. Would not even go into the huddle when the play was called. Just stood out there by himself, Pekin was double teaming him, and he ate them alive.

The next year in the semi finals, Pekin got there revenge. We were setting on the Bedford side of the UNI dome, for the first game. All the Bedford people wanted Pekin for the finals, we were telling them, "You do not want Pekin". They thought with there running back they would be fine. Boy were they wrong, the game was over by the end of the 1st quarter, like I said, that Pekin team was the best team I ever coached against or saw, and its not even close.

Bedford was in our conference at the time but played up a class in football, they had some loaded teams during those years. Shafar the RB you mentioned broke state records and they had a lot of other really good players. I remember being surprised how bad Pekin handled them but I had a friend who had moved down near Pekin who told us, Bedford didn't stand a chance, he gave that team compliments similar to yours.

It's Bedford plays 8 man now but at that time, they had around a hundred kids out for football. There was an article in the Omaha World Herald that year that talked about it, the only kids that weren't out either excelled at cross country or had some medical condition that kept them out. We'd play them in JV, we might have 15 kids suit up and they would bring 3 bus loads of kids.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Has only been 1 "close" title game thus far. Hopefully get a couple here in the last 2 games.

From the looks of it, there were a couple of games in each class throughout the entire playoffs that were competitive.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can remember the Harlan teams in the "80's. Their '83 team shut out all three teams they faced in winning the title.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
From the looks of it, there were a couple of games in each class throughout the entire playoffs that were competitive.

They need to take these games outside. At least there’s a chance of some competitive balancing due to conditions.