*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I have the metric that settles the #1 debate. After today, we will have 2 wins over conference champs, a big 0 for North Carolina.

The above assumes VCU wins today. That scrappy, tough out Gambling team was our other win.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
So I suppose this is an unanswerable question.... but if we are a lock 2-seed in Omaha, those are Thurs/SAT games, correct? does anyone have a clue of which time slot we would play?
Nope. I took a chance and bought session 1 tickets after BYU game but might have to buy session 2 as well.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Michigan State and Oklahoma should both be out. Their resumes are terrible.

I think at least one of them gets sent to Dayton though and more deserving teams like Indiana State are done unfortunately.

Why is Indiana State more deserving? They got blown out by Bama, giving up over 100 pts and lost by double digits to Michigan State. Other than that the best team they beat was Drake, who they also lost to twice.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
how do you not place a team with ten 1 quad wins and two wins over the number one team in the nation you aren't worthy of a one seed. NC doesn't even come close to that resume. WE DESERVE A 1 SEED.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why is Indiana State more deserving? They got blown out by Bama, giving up over 100 pts and lost by double digits to Michigan State. Other than that the best team they beat was Drake, who they also lost to twice.
Because wins have to count for somenting at some point. Playing good teams and losing, then beating up on a bunch of terrible Big 10 teams doesn't do much for me but go ahead and support them I guess.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

What's the 5th bid stealer? It's unfortunate for those teams but if you want to avoid being left out then do better than 19-14 in a major conference.

I think teams like Indiana State and South Florida are more deserving but i bet they get shafted tonight. I'm glad Drake won because I think they would have gotten sent to the NIT if they lost.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What's the 5th bid stealer? It's unfortunate for those teams but if you want to avoid being left out then do better than 19-14 in a major conference.

I think teams like Indiana State and South Florida are more deserving but i bet they get shafted tonight. I'm glad Drake won because I think they would have gotten sent to the NIT if they lost.

Winner of the A-10 maybe?

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
It's dumb, but it's an argument that a lot of people are willing to accept unfortunately. It's why I don't have much hope for a 1 tomorrow. The selection committee let us know they were going to hit us for the non-con with their mid-season seedings. So instead of a 1 we will most likely get a 2, which will still be amazing.
Agree. Wins against bad competition compared to really bad? What's the difference? We'd easily beat teams in the 100-200 range as we would the 300's. Hope they look at results against competition.

Reactions: CycloneErik

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

My only hope for Indiana State is that their best rebounder and defender missed the SIU and Illinois State games that they lost.

Reactions: NoCreativity

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Torvik's KPI+SOR avg (which is supposed to be a great predictor) has us a step behind UNC: https://barttorvik.com/teamsheets.php?sort=4&conlimit=All&year=2024.

Personally, I'll take a #2 seed opposite a #1 UNC if that happens. We'd crush them either way.
Especially if we both get put in the west. That would make the fan aspect of the site moot.
Jerry Palm has Iowa State as the 1 seed, however, has Nebraska as the 9 seed in Omaha. There is no way you can have a 9 seed playing a home game in Omaha?

We would destroy Nebby. They’re the epitome of a Fred team. Great offense as long as they’re not being guarded tightly. No defense to speak of. Once Illinois put the clamps on Nebraska couldn’t do anything right yesterday.

Cyclonefan89

Oct 25, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa state just does not get the respect nationally for me to think they would give us a 1 seed. I hope im wrong though

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agree. Wins against bad competition compared to really bad? What's the difference? We'd easily beat teams in the 100-200 range as we would the 300's. Hope they look at results against competition.

Yep it's a bad metric, and even from the perspective of it supposedly being a goal of the NCAA to encourage better non-conference matchups, it doesn't really achieve that stated purpose. Buy games are buy games and those are bad teams for everyone. Most of the actual strength in most teams non-conference schedules comes from neutral site tournaments scheduled years in advance and determined in large part based on prestige. Programs have little to no control over this portion of their schedule, and even when they do it's unpredictable. Texas a&m was supposed to be good. Virginia tech was considered a possible tournament team. Iowa and the Big East challenge should have added two more power five games, but Iowa underperformed compared to where they have the last several years and we were given garbage by the Big East. How exactly is overvaluing this crappy metric supposed to change any of that?