Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I think they will shift to Norfolk mostly. To minimize added domestic transport costs.

Savannah has been struggling with added capacity as importers have tried to reduce west coast capacity
Also this is slower time of year with volumes, June starts Halloween and the Christmas soon after.
Baltimore is a smaller port so others should be able to handle.

Force Majuer will be declared and importers will be hit with extra transportation costs.

That would be my guess but I'm more worried about delays on some containers we have going through Philly. I believe ships run North-South along the east coast, so it would probably make sense the ports north of Baltimore would try and handle the load.

Reactions: fsanford

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Curious why they didn't protect the bridge structure with pylons around the structural members/piers. Bet when they rebuild they will!

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
That would be my guess but I'm more worried about delays on some containers we have going through Philly. I believe ships run North-South along the east coast, so it would probably make sense the ports north of Baltimore would try and handle the load.
Philly is possible too,. Though thebig container ships that run through Baltimore, usually do not call Philly.

The rotations are normally Jersey, Baltimore, Norfolk, Savannah any combination as it relates to cargo from Asia.

The carriers are better equipped to divert cargo amongst those ports. On dock rail etc.

Philly is more of a refrigerated container port. Central/South America produce goes through Philly as well as Wilmington. Savannah also sees its share.

March and April are the lightest container volume months. So the ports should be able to handle it. If this was August/September it would be ugly

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and AgronAlum

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The mile long bridge makes me tense up every time. Really narrow with zero shoulder, relatively high speeds, short guardrail and gusty crosswinds.
Any monster bridge makes me tense up. There's one on the Mississippi side of the Mississippi that you approach down a long straight highway and you can see the superstructure of the bridge from miles away, It just keeps growing bigger and bigger and your whole body becomes more and more tense until the bridge fills your windshield. It's the most frightening approach to a bridge I've found yet and then you still have to cross the damned thing.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
As a kid I was always freaked out by the Fort Madison bridge over the Mississippi. Always seemed like an awfully big section of steel rotating and couldn't wrap my head around how it could be stable especially with train tracks underneath.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Ever notice that they keep getting funded and always need improvement?
Infrastructure is still underfunded. It'll always be a money pit, but a necessary one.

That being said, the bidding process and the fact that most work is done by private contractors adds so much red tape and waste than if the government could just build the project themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone and flycy