Well, it's finally over

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It’s mostly Clark, which then gave the networks the idea to use the NBA model and go all in on marketing the stars.

Final fours had been 1.5-3m for years. In 2022 Iowa wasn’t in but Clark had helped generate some more interest. Now this year the numbers are bananas.

it’s almost entirely Clark. Now the environment matters. With NIL she’s everywhere, and she pushed the game to the tipping point that networks saw they could put her games on major network and time slots, and it snowballed from there. I do think if Turausi and Bird came up in this game exact period there would’ve been a big boost as well, but not like this. The difference then was those teams were so dominant and loaded that championships were more or less a foregone conclusion. The added parity has helped.

But pre-Clark the game growing modestly at best. I think the Bueckers and Clark first year got the ball rolling, but it was mostly Clark after that.

I’ve explained why I don’t like her, but trying to pretend she isn’t pretty much the entire reason for the ratings is denial.

We will see a dip next year but hopefully it set a much higher floor on interest and viewership.
A few things to add:

First, remember that last year was the first year of the championship (not sure if semis were) being on OTA networks. That gives it a huge bump right there.

For the women's game to get carry through, you will need companies like State Farm and such to find a new media darling to carry the water. The WNBA plays during the summer, That is the worst time for viewership, people in the northern half want to get out and do things when there isn't snow on the ground and those regions are the bigger basketball supporters. So, if companies don't find the right college player to take CC place and pump her up also, then you will see a good drawback from viewership.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It’s mostly Clark, which then gave the networks the idea to use the NBA model and go all in on marketing the stars.

Final fours had been 1.5-3m for years. In 2022 Iowa wasn’t in but Clark had helped generate some more interest. Now this year the numbers are bananas.

it’s almost entirely Clark. Now the environment matters. With NIL she’s everywhere, and she pushed the game to the tipping point that networks saw they could put her games on major network and time slots, and it snowballed from there. I do think if Turausi and Bird came up in this game exact period there would’ve been a big boost as well, but not like this. The difference then was those teams were so dominant and loaded that championships were more or less a foregone conclusion. The added parity has helped.

But pre-Clark the game growing modestly at best. I think the Bueckers and Clark first year got the ball rolling, but it was mostly Clark after that.

I’ve explained why I don’t like her, but trying to pretend she isn’t pretty much the entire reason for the ratings is denial.

We will see a dip next year but hopefully it set a much higher floor on interest and viewership.
This 100%. I’ve seen this playbook with ESPN a million times. They promoted the hell out of Clark because she takes logo 3s, and, offensively, is as skilled as any women’s player I’ve ever seen. It’s easy to get highlight clips from her. It’s a tried and true strategy that worked wonders here.

But if I’m building a team, looking at it from an NBA/WNBA perspective, I honestly would put guardrails on her. Teams won’t avoid her because she is an excellent player and sells tickets/draws eyeballs, but they could coach her to defer more.

I see a lot of Harden/Westbrook/Lucca/Lillard in her. They get a lot of ESPN highlight clips too. Me, I’d prefer a Jokic

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This 100%. I’ve seen this playbook with ESPN a million times. They promoted the hell out of Clark because she takes logo 3s, and, offensively, is as skilled as any women’s player I’ve ever seen. It’s easy to get highlight clips from her. It’s a tried and true strategy that worked wonders here.

But if I’m building a team, looking at it from an NBA/WNBA perspective, I honestly would put guardrails on her. Teams won’t avoid her because she is an excellent player and sells tickets/draws eyeballs, but they could coach her to defer more.

I see a lot of Harden/Westbrook/Lucca/Lillard in her. They get a lot of ESPN highlight clips too. Me, I’d prefer a Jokic
Indiana had the first round pick last year and took Boston. A team that gets consecutive first picks is not a solid team.

Reactions: Cyclad and aauummm

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Indiana had the first round pick last year and took Boston. A team that gets consecutive first picks is not a solid team.
Right they’ll pick her. They have to with the talent that she has. What I’m saying is, if she wants a championship, she’s going to have to change the way she plays (or moreso at least tone it down). She should still be the alpha, but she can’t be a 40% usage rate player and win a championship

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The issue here to me concerning "growth of the game/sport" is simple: the attention is all focused on one player, not on the game/sport. That player is now gone. We'll see if the attention on the game/sport persists.
Right now I would guess Juju is the one they will promote. I remember some barbershop commercial with her, but not sure who it was for. They had went all in on a group of seniors and when they declared for the draft, it was like they didn't realize that they had a void now. You generally want a couple players in case one gets hurt or they leave at the same time. I say the media pushes Juju.

Also, I was shown a tweet from the Woodward lady whose scoring record CC broke. Now with the tourney over, she is going to see a crap storm thrown at her.

Reactions: SuperTrooper

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
ESPN still carrying the torch. Top of their app is not about SC winning. It’s their coach saying something about Clark.

Another prime example of why so many want this to be over. Clark and the Hawks lose and the media is still focused on her.

Leave it to the “worldwide leader” to show up the team who just won a championship.

The last 5-10 mins of that broadcast was embarrassing. She was 90% of the camera time until she left the court, meanwhile an undefeated national champ was a side story.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Let's also not forget about network and time of day.

2019 - 6:15 ET, ESPN
2021 - 6:00 ET, ESPN
2022 - 8:15 ET, ESPN
2023 - 3:30 ET, ABC
2024 - 3:00 ET, ABC

Additionally, I'm curious if ESPN is counting all of its simulcasts under one ratings umbrella.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Additionally, I'm curious if ESPN is counting all of its simulcasts under one ratings umbrella.
What would this do to the ratings?

I’m certain this number is being massaged to be as high as possible. The idea that it is drawing ratings as high as the men’s final four or the NBA finals is just hard to believe.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Did she fake in injury? That is what she usually does if Iowa is losing.
She did her usual theatrics early in the game. She got fouled on a three (legitimately) but it was not a hard foul at all. She fell to the ground and grabbed her head as if Lee Harvey was in the stands.

Everyone in the stadium stood up and held hands as both teams prayed over her. She rose from the dead and miraculously made her FTs and continued playing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron