Bird Migration and Misc Birding Thread

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
My feeder in southeast Iowa, I am seeing Baltimore Orioles and Catbirds. Off in the distance you can hear a Tennessee Warbler.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Best place at Lacey-Keosauqua is Ely Ford. High above, you can hear and see Warbling Vireos, Northern Parula and Baltimore orioles.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not a big bird person, but my family got some humming bird feeders for Christmas and I was wondering if now is the time to hang them. We live in an open area on the edge of town with a grass field behind us. Not really much in the way of flowers around us. Will the little guys find it if I hang them on the porch, or is it better to hang away from the house?

Reactions: Kinch

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'm not a big bird person, but my family got some humming bird feeders for Christmas and I was wondering if now is the time to hang them. We live in an open area on the edge of town with a grass field behind us. Not really much in the way of flowers around us. Will the little guys find it if I hang them on the porch, or is it better to hang away from the house?
I put mine just off the back deck & it works well. Haven't gotten them out yet, but it's getting to be about time. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I put mine just off the back deck & it works well. Haven't gotten them out yet, but it's getting to be about time. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar.

Those darn humming birds sure like to fight amongst themselves near the feeders, the last few yrs my folks usually end with a dozen or so of them zooming around for most the summer.

Reactions: ianoconnor and Yaz

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The wind blew 20+ out of the SW yesterday. It hit the east side of town and created a stron updraft. Had a flock of appx 150 seagulls circle up above our backyard..

When they got high enough, they grabbed the wind and flew hard to the NE.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hung mine out today. More shade than sun is better. Mine is near flowers but 25 yards away from the nesrest bush or tree.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Now is a good time (read they’re in Des Moines but I haven’t seen one yet) and I’m not sure the actual location matters as much as keeping solution fresh and ant-free.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Hung mine out today. More shade than sun is better. Mine is near flowers but 25 yards away from the nesrest bush or tree.
Mine is in full sun, near a birdbath and a different feeder on the same pole. Shade would mean too far away to see from the house.

Reactions: BigTurk and Kinch

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I have seen hummers come close to the house.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Saw our first hummingbird this this weekend but the feeders were not out. My wife made up a batch of food and have the feeders up now. What was interesting was it came to the exact spot that we put the feeders each year....i.e...15' off the ground. This bird was familiar with this location.

13stsurvivor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2024
I'm in NE IA and got my first grosbeaks and orioles yesterday. I don't think I've seen any female redwings yet. Saw purple martins on the Mississippi early last week. I've heard of swallows around but haven't seen them myself. I usually have barn swallows nest on my property but haven't seen them yet.

Reactions: Kinch and NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Saw our first hummingbird this this weekend but the feeders were not out. My wife made up a batch of food and have the feeders up now. What was interesting was it came to the exact spot that we put the feeders each year....i.e...15' off the ground. This bird was familiar with this location.

I think some birds come back to the same place. Or maybe the babies do? I feel like my mom has said indigo buntings do that. Or I could be making that up. Last year she just had a couple of sightings of one single indigo after years with 5-6. She’s curious if she’ll get any this year.