Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
A fisherman was dining alone in a fancy restaurant and there was a gorgeous redhead sitting at the next table. He had been checking her out since he sat down, but lacked the nerve to talk with her.

Suddenly she sneezed, and her glass eye came flying out of its socket towards the man. He reflexively reached out, grabbed it out of the air, and handed it back.

'Oh my, I am so sorry,' the woman said, as she popped her eye back in place. 'Let me buy your dinner to make it up to you.'

They enjoyed a wonderful dinner together, and afterwards they went to the theatre followed by drinks. They talked, they laughed, she shared her deepest dreams and he shared his. She listened to him with interest.

After paying for everything, she asked him if he would like to come to her place for a nightcap and stay for breakfast. They had a wonderful, wonderful time.

The next morning, she cooked a gourmet meal with all the trimmings. The guy was amazed. Everything had been so incredible!

'You know,' he said, 'you are the perfect woman. Are you this nice to every guy you meet?'

'No,' she replies.

'You just happened to catch my eye.'
Am I weird for thinking, “Awww” instead of “ewww”?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ick, got up off the couch and found a tick. Oh well better to find it crawling than attached.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Still waiting for my state refund. I suppose that's what i get for waiting until the last day. Got my federal in a week though, but that wasn't that much, the state is a lot bigger.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Still waiting for my state refund. I suppose that's what i get for waiting until the last day. Got my federal in a week though, but that wasn't that much, the state is a lot bigger.
Iowa is always different. You will get a federal refund but owe the state.

We lose our last child tax credit. That is going to hurt next year. The year after that we lose the college tax credit. Not looking forward to my income taxes in two years. Throw in that a couple major items time out In depreciation and I may need to find a couple more jobs.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We got a fed refund but had to pay the state a small amount this year. Funny thing though...a couple of weeks ago we got a check for 21 dollars and change from the state. Turns out we were charged a penalty because we didn't pay enough over the year...and they refunded about half of it. It's really hard to judge our income now because we don't get steady paychecks any more. We've had to pay in twice now...but this is the first time we were penalized. Ooops!
We've talked about paying quarterly but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And I never had to pay in April until after we retired. Lew had to a few times in his previous life because he owned businesses.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Found a bunch of expansion pex fittings in a bin for crimp pex, so I grabbed them all and put them in the correct spot. Those are 2 different things that are easily mistaken for each other. People who sort all the plumbing fittings at Menards need to know that. I'm sure there were a lot more that are mixed up.

Reactions: frackincygy

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Found a bunch of expansion pex fittings in a bin for crimp pex, so I grabbed them all and put them in the correct spot. Those are 2 different things that are easily mistaken for each other. People who sort all the plumbing fittings at Menards need to know that. I'm sure there were a lot more that are mixed up.
Lew gets really frustrated with that. The plumbing and electrical fittings are always messed up at the Menards in Ames.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Went to a hardware store and needed stainless steel bolts/nuts. Looked in the bin and I’m positive they are not SS. So I test them and sure enough they are plain bolts/nuts. What I wanted was about a buck a piece whereas regular is about a nickel. So if people bought them, they were getting screwed over bad.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Iowa graduation ceremonies today, they showed highlights of yes you guessed it…C f’n C!!:mad:

Was disappointed in their ceremony today. Just seemed really blah.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa graduation ceremonies today, they showed highlights of yes you guessed it…C f’n C!!:mad:

One of the local sports broadcasts (kcci?) Showed Pacer highlights, I'm pretty sure the only reason they did was to show CC and Conner in a suite.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Was doing Young Eagle rides at the Iowa City airport this morning. Let’s just say it was a good reminder that wealthy kids go there too…

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We got a fed refund but had to pay the state a small amount this year. Funny thing though...a couple of weeks ago we got a check for 21 dollars and change from the state. Turns out we were charged a penalty because we didn't pay enough over the year...and they refunded about half of it. It's really hard to judge our income now because we don't get steady paychecks any more. We've had to pay in twice now...but this is the first time we were penalized. Ooops!
We've talked about paying quarterly but just haven't gotten around to it yet. And I never had to pay in April until after we retired. Lew had to a few times in his previous life because he owned businesses.

Yeah, I am waiting for the Feds to tell me how much I owe as a penalty. I ended up owing quite a bit, most years I am plus/minus a few hundred dollars but not this year.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Yeah, I am waiting for the Feds to tell me how much I owe as a penalty. I ended up owing quite a bit, most years I am plus/minus a few hundred dollars but not this year.
The first time we had to pay it was an eye-opener. Our income varies widely from month to month because part of it comes from our portfolio. And in October and January when we turn 70 each of us will be required by law to take a set amount out of our retirement. We decided to use the money manager Schwab offers to help us control things better. It has helped a LOT.

It was a lot easier when we had regular paychecks with actual withholding.
Ah well...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron