***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
There was a warned severe storm in the area at the time no?
No warnings. I didn't even get a notification of storms/lightning in the area that my weather app notifies me We did end up getting some rain about an hour after the sirens went off.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If sirens go off when there isn’t a tornado I’m not going wake up my kids up and bring them to the basement unless I’m seeing more legit info on TV or social media. Kind of sad if you think about it that sirens are the least reliable source of information.

Sirens are a crude tool, which was fine in 1985 when there were no other tools available. And they're still useful if we were more strategic about the way we used them. But we've expanded their use to the point where people consider it a measure of caution rather than a true emergency, particularly when you can pull up your phone or turn on the TV and get much more precise info upon which to decide.

It would be one thing if this were just a one-way problem of being overly cautious, but it goes both ways. I either forgot or never knew that these sirens have to cycle off occasionally to prevent damage, which came up the night that Pleasant Hill got hit and our sirens were cycling on and off repeatedly. Are most people going to know that sirens may cycle off and that isn't necesarily an indicator that the threat has passed? Of course not.

Reactions: CyCity

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
My rain gauge showed 1.5 inches in Ankeny this morning. Love it!

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Sirens are a crude tool, which was fine in 1985 when there were no other tools available. And they're still useful if we were more strategic about the way we used them. But we've expanded their use to the point where people consider it a measure of caution rather than a true emergency, particularly when you can pull up your phone or turn on the TV and get much more precise info upon which to decide.

It would be one thing if this were just a one-way problem of being overly cautious, but it goes both ways. I either forgot or never knew that these sirens have to cycle off occasionally to prevent damage, which came up the night that Pleasant Hill got hit and our sirens were cycling on and off repeatedly. Are most people going to know that sirens may cycle off and that isn't necesarily an indicator that the threat has passed? Of course not.
Even though it was by mistake, the sirens were still effective in making me check for potential storms. It alerted me to check the weather and be alert. In a weird way, it was still effective.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Anyone else been mowing twice a week?
Yes, I think last week might have been 3 times just to keep up with it. I have no desire to bag my clippings and don't want clumps.

I think I'm going to have to bag later this week when/if I can get out there. I was going to try to mow today, but it's basically a swamp in my yard right now. I know we need the rain, but a week break would be lovely.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It's worse when you look at the category breakdown.
day2probotlk_20240520_1730_hail_prt.gif
day2probotlk_20240520_1730_wind_prt.gif

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Now overlay my route from Ankeny to Springfield, IL that I need to drive round trip tomorrow...

so this is your fault.

I'm trying to check on the timing here......neither daycare nor elementary school have basements. Solid buildings with at least some brick structure to them but ugh. Not loving this. I suppose with derecho I'd have some lead time to go get them.

• Agree
Reactions: SaraV

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
so this is your fault.

I'm trying to check on the timing here......neither daycare nor elementary school have basements. Solid buildings with at least some brick structure to them but ugh. Not loving this. I suppose with derecho I'd have some lead time to go get them.
Unless your kids school or daycare runs till 9 pm, they will be fine.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
The last few bouts with severe weather I haven't been hardly getting any alerts on my phone (specifically Tornado Warnings). During the last round of tornados in the metro I didn't get anything on my phone, but I get alerts that there is rain even if it is like 2 drops. I have the Weather Channel app and the KCCI app (not the weather specific one). Has anyone else had these issues?