2019 Football Targets

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Meh- what line have you been watching? Hopefully Campbell lights a fire under their asses this offseason. Can't blame youth anymore.

We have a ways to go to be good at OL.

I'm saying we have 12 Freshman Lineman, Plus have already signed 4 OL this year to replace 2 that are graduating. We are already +2 on OL on the roster, Im not sure we have room for more. Does our line need work, yes, but recruiting 20 new linemen isnt the answer to that, we have to develop the young guys we have now.
Right now we have to fill the positions we are short on depth or fill a specific position where someone is leaving, like Butlers.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm saying we have 12 Freshman Lineman, Plus have already signed 4 OL this year to replace 2 that are graduating. We are already +2 on OL on the roster, Im not sure we have room for more. Does our line need work, yes, but recruiting 20 new linemen isnt the answer to that, we have to develop the young guys we have now.
Right now we have to fill the positions we are short on depth or fill a specific position where someone is leaving, like Butlers.

We had two true freshmen in the two deep and a walk on starting. Anyone from the 2017 class or before not in the two deep is a question mark until they show different. Greatness starts upfront.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
We had two true freshmen in the two deep and a walk on starting. Anyone from the 2017 class or before not in the two deep is a question mark until they show different. Greatness starts upfront.
You still can only have so many linemen. If you look at our roster you will understand why we had freshman starting. Because its all Fresh and soph. I am sure we could take one more but taking one more 3 star here or there is not going to make that room improve instantly.

• Agree
Reactions: ComCY

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You still can only have so many linemen. If you look at our roster you will understand why we had freshman starting. Because its all Fresh and soph. I am sure we could take one more but taking one more 3 star here or there is not going to make that room improve instantly.

Ramos and Downing are our current Hope's for half our openings in 2020. We need to find two more to allow Triber and Hufford two years to develop.

I don't care about stars, we need badasses. Look where Knipfl was rated yet he's our best lineman by far. Who else do you see from 2016 or 17 that's going to make a difference.? I'm not seeing anyone.

• Disagree
Reactions: ComCY

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Ramos and Downing are our current Hope's for half our openings in 2020. We need to find two more to allow Triber and Hufford two years to develop.

I don't care about stars, we need badasses. Look where Knipfl was rated yet he's our best lineman by far. Who else do you see from 2016 or 17 that's going to make a difference.? I'm not seeing anyone.
I don't really care about stars either, my point really is we have a ton of young guys, and are adding 4 already, while only 2 are leaving. It is difficult for any freshman lineman to step in and make much of an impact, it takes a couple years of development to build those positions. Something I am confused about, you are talking about signing some one on top of this years signees, to give the current signees and this years freshmen and the current freshmen another year to develop? So you expect to sign a few guys that are better than what we have signed and are better than Ramos and Downing after a year of development so they can start immediately for a year just to give way and let all these others take over? I'm really confused at what you are trying to convey.

Part of the reason our line has struggled the last couple years too many young guys. We didnt recruit enough Line 3-5 years ago which forced us to take a lot the last 2 years. So recruiting extra people on that line save for a major standout is not going to be a major impact or need at this point on our roster. Adding an extra lineman to our roster over what is deemed needed depth is not necessary unless it is for someone that is going to make a major impact, which is doubtful we get that kind of a recruit at this point. I would agree we probably could grab one more, but recruiting more than 4 or 5 OL in one year is getting excessive. We are short on CB, DL, DS, and need to fill the key positions that are leaving.

The 2 linemen you mention are good but probably not that good, and they appear to be going to other places at this point. If you are looking for something to step into what you are saying I think you have to look for a couple jucos or Grad transfers on the OL to supplement there until we can build those young guys and catch the recruiting up.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't really care about stars either, my point really is we have a ton of young guys, and are adding 4 already, while only 2 are leaving. It is difficult for any freshman lineman to step in and make much of an impact, it takes a couple years of development to build those positions. Something I am confused about, you are talking about signing some one on top of this years signees, to give the current signees and this years freshmen and the current freshmen another year to develop? So you expect to sign a few guys that are better than what we have signed and are better than Ramos and Downing after a year of development so they can start immediately for a year just to give way and let all these others take over? I'm really confused at what you are trying to convey.

Part of the reason our line has struggled the last couple years too many young guys. We didnt recruit enough Line 3-5 years ago which forced us to take a lot the last 2 years. So recruiting extra people on that line save for a major standout is not going to be a major impact or need at this point on our roster. Adding an extra lineman to our roster over what is deemed needed depth is not necessary unless it is for someone that is going to make a major impact, which is doubtful we get that kind of a recruit at this point. I would agree we probably could grab one more, but recruiting more than 4 or 5 OL in one year is getting excessive. We are short on CB, DL, DS, and need to fill the key positions that are leaving.

The 2 linemen you mention are good but probably not that good, and they appear to be going to other places at this point. If you are looking for something to step into what you are saying I think you have to look for a couple jucos or Grad transfers on the OL to supplement there until we can build those young guys and catch the recruiting up.

That's too much to read but I'll say this. Why do you say only two are leaving? We have a 280# walk on starting. Guys will be leaving.

Jucos, Grad transfers, somebody with an attitude. We need somebody that can help keep the 2019 guys off the field for a couple years.

Foster wasn't the only HS Olineman recruited in 2016 just the only one left. 2017s class is now to the point to produce or move on.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
That's too much to read but I'll say this. Why do you say only two are leaving? We have a 280# walk on starting. Guys will be leaving.

Jucos, Grad transfers, somebody with an attitude. We need somebody that can help keep the 2019 guys off the field for a couple years.

Foster wasn't the only HS Olineman recruited in 2016 just the only one left. 2017s class is now to the point to produce or move on.

Basically, take a minute to read what I said, because that is what I did say. Unless you are talking JUCOs no one is going to come in better than the guys that we have or have signed, short of some last minute miracle. The 2 guys you list arent that and are hot on other schools now anyway. But I agree A Juco or Grad transfer would help but Im not seeing any.
We have 2 Sr. linemen that are graduating, unless you feel that a bunch more are going to quit? Why? What makes you think that? Who is going to quit? Do you see a lot of our guys giving up? There are 2 left from 2016, but do you think that its typical for a lot of guys to quit every year?

Edit: what is it with people today that cant read a couple paragraphs, I mean are we that spoiled with 3 word text messages and emojis that we cant even read anymore?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Basically, take a minute to read what I said, because that is what I did say. Unless you are talking JUCOs no one is going to come in better than the guys that we have or have signed, short of some last minute miracle. The 2 guys you list arent that and are hot on other schools now anyway. But I agree A Juco or Grad transfer would help but Im not seeing any.
We have 2 Sr. linemen that are graduating, unless you feel that a bunch more are going to quit? Why? What makes you think that? Who is going to quit? Do you see a lot of our guys giving up? There are 2 left from 2016, but do you think that its typical for a lot of guys to quit every year?

Edit: what is it with people today that cant read a couple paragraphs, I mean are we that spoiled with 3 word text messages and emojis that we cant even read anymore?

Well for starters you flunked paragraph. They are suppose to convey one thought.

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Well for starters you flunked paragraph. They are suppose to convey one thought.
Well I will say this, I do agree we need to supplement our line. But we have to go get some JUCO linemen for that, as we have in the last few years. Getting a couple more high school guys we have to develop with our young guys does nothing for us.

As far as paragraphs they are or can be used to convey and separate points. However I use paragraphs properly or not, you are still telling me that it is too daunting of a task to read what should take less than a minute. The horror. I'm so sick of the text message generation we are in.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well I will say this, I do agree we need to supplement our line. But we have to go get some JUCO linemen for that, as we have in the last few years. Getting a couple more high school guys we have to develop with our young guys does nothing for us.

As far as paragraphs they are or can be used to convey and separate points. However I use paragraphs properly or not, you are still telling me that it is too daunting of a task to read what should take less than a minute. The horror. I'm so sick of the text message generation we are in.

The real point we differ on is you have a Big 10 mentality where a scholarship is a four year commitment. I see a scholarship as an opportunity. If you don't develop you move on.
We need bullies.

It would be a crime to leave Purdy with a transition Oline his Junior and possible final year as a Clone.

As for the paragraph issue, you're backwards on me. I'm old and can't follow fifteen lines without a space.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The only way that they take another OL is if he has a chance to make an immediate impact., Meaning a starter or a back that can contribute in a couple places.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1