WV W 24-13
TX TECH L 35-31
OK STATE W 28-24
OK L 42-31
TEXAS W 21-20
KANSAS W 41-20
KANSAS STATE W 34-31

10-2

IMO if the O'Line takes that next step forward it should make for another successful & interesting year.
HCMC & Staff will have em ready!

giphy.gif

Jack Gladney

Oct 31, 2017
I like where your head is. I like where your heart is even more. But I think that an ISU team that struggles to put UNI to the sword in the first game is unlikely to go 10-2. I know UNI plays ISU and UI tough, but I won't be feeling good about the season if we give up 24 points to them and only win by a score.

I'd put us as -
Favored: UNI, Louisiana-Monroe, Baylor, KU, KSU
Underdog: WVU, OU, UT
Even: UI, TCU, TTU, OSU

If we win the ones we should, split the even contests, and pull our now annual upset, that would put us at 8-4 and if I had to put money on our record right now, that would be the one. But 10-2 is within the realm of possibility, and I just don't see us dropping below 7-5.

The OL needs to make big strides this offseason and that will go a long ways to determining how we do next year. DM could make yards where there were none. Other backs, even good ones, can't do that. And if our OL can't make holes to run through, without DM's tackle breaking abilities keeping opposing defenses honest, suddenly our pass blocking will look a lot worse too. I just wish we would have been able to see what DM could have done behind a good ISU OL. He would have been scary and may have been in the Heisman discussion.

Reactions: cymonw1980

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
They key to next year will be the oline. Can't rely on Montgomery making 1,000 people miss each game. They need to open holes in the run game. I think likely 8-4 but if the OL can be really good, they could make it to 10-2.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
They key to next year will be the oline. Can't rely on Montgomery making 1,000 people miss each game. They need to open holes in the run game. I think likely 8-4 but if the OL can be really good, they could make it to 10-2.
I think you mean Breece Hall. ;)

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
8-4ish.

Add a win or two if the Oline improves drastically and ISU hits the ground running instead of taking a month to figure things out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I like where your head is. I like where your heart is even more. But I think that an ISU team that struggles to put UNI to the sword in the first game is unlikely to go 10-2. I know UNI plays ISU and UI tough, but I won't be feeling good about the season if we give up 24 points to them and only win by a score.

I'd put us as -

If we win the ones we should, split the even contests, and pull our now annual upset, that would put us at 8-4 and if I had to put money on our record right now, that would be the one. But 10-2 is within the realm of possibility, and I just don't see us dropping below 7-5.

The OL needs to make big strides this offseason and that will go a long ways to determining how we do next year. DM could make yards where there were none. Other backs, even good ones, can't do that. And if our OL can't make holes to run through, without DM's tackle breaking abilities keeping opposing defenses honest, suddenly our pass blocking will look a lot worse too. I just wish we would have been able to see what DM could have done behind a good ISU OL. He would have been scary and may have been in the Heisman discussion.

I think you can move TCU to the favored section and move WVU and Baylor to the even section (unless Rhule goes to the NFL). TCU and WVU don't have QB's right now, so they will be having down years. TCU should be in the favored section tho because ISU gets them in Ames.

Reactions: Jack Gladney

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
as everyone else has all ready said it all depends on the O-line development this year. if that happens 10-2 or better easily, if not we could be 6-6 or 7-5 just as easily.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
as everyone else has all ready said it all depends on the O-line development this year. if that happens 10-2 or better easily, if not we could be 6-6 or 7-5 just as easily.

10-2 easily? 10 wins is never going to be easy for Iowa State no matter how much the OL develops! And I have been a fan for a long long time! I would love to see 10 wins become the standard season in Ames...but I will wait for 10 wins to happen the first time before I start expecting it!

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I like to do these in order of confidence of my prediction, highest to lowest:

UNI(H) Win 34-14
LA/Mon(H) WIN 34-14
Kansas(H) Win 38-7
KSU(A) Win 27-10
OU(A) Loss 27-35
TTech(A) Win 38-21
TCU(H) Win 21-14
OSU(H) Win 35-31
WVU(A) Win 38-30
Baylor(A) Win 38-35
Texas(H) Loss 24-28
Iowa(H) Win 14-10

Don't make the Conf Championship due to tie breaker with either Tex/OU

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I'd put us as -

I think people are underestimating how hard it will be to replace DM. Everyone understands he is a great player... but I think we could be in for another slow start to the season as the team is forced to adjust to life post DM. I hope I am wrong... but the game against toe early concerns me. If we can’t run and they just pin their ears back our o line will be in trouble.

Other games that could be problematic:

KSU
TCU
TTU
Baylor

That is in addition to obvious ones... OU, Tex.

I feel like we should get to 8 wins again and could beat that... but, we need to be much better on the offensive line to avoid a slow start and have a chance at 10 wins.

• Agree
Reactions: Jack Gladney

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
10-2 easily? 10 wins is never going to be easy for Iowa State no matter how much the OL develops! And I have been a fan for a long long time! I would love to see 10 wins become the standard season in Ames...but I will wait for 10 wins to happen the first time before I start expecting it!
who all do we lose too next year? TOE, Tex, OU are the true challenges next year. OSU is always a shoot out so toss up there and add maybe an improved Baylor but are both winnable still. so an improved line against TOE and yes 10-2. 4 new coaches in the league and probably a down year TCU.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
who all do we lose too next year? TOE, Tex, OU are the true challenges next year. OSU is always a shoot out so toss up there and add maybe an improved Baylor but are both winnable still. so an improved line against TOE and yes 10-2. 4 new coaches in the league and probably a down year TCU.

I hope you don't think my response was demeaning...it was not meant to be. I just don't see 10 wins coming "easily". We haven't beat Iowa with this current staff in place...it certainly doesn't mean we won't! We haven't started quick yet under this staff...doesn't mean we won't! We have played a lot of close games under this staff and fortunately we have won a lot of them! I remember reading all spring and summer that we would beat Iowa last year. Maybe this is a lifelong ISU fan who is still cautious in regards to our football program. I love what Coach Campbell has done...but playing in the Big 12 and playing Iowa every year just never seems like a recipe for an easy 10 wins...that is all. I would love to get to that place where 10 wins is the expectation...but as I said...just a bit cautious about expecting something to happen that has never happened...yet! Go State!!

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I'd put us as -

No. Baylor will not be an easy out next year as long as Rhule stays. WVU loses a lot and has a new coach. That should be even, even on the road.

Winnable - UNI, UL-M, K, KSU, WVU,
Toss-up - UI, TCU, OSU TTU
Probably L - Texas, OU

Tough calls are TCU, because I don't know what they exactly bring back, but Patterson usually always has them ready to play. OSU, kind of a similar answer. Tech, it's down there this year, but transitional coach may make that to a winnable game. Texas and OU with it being back to back weeks makes that a tough couple weeks. Win 1 and that is gravy.

If we can improve on that OL and move a step forward with a WR and the RB groups as replacement for Butler and DM, then I think there is a possible chance to get to 9-3. 8-4/7-5 seem like an easy bet.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I think people are underestimating how hard it will be to replace DM. Everyone understands he is a great player... but I think we could be in for another slow start to the season as the team is forced to adjust to life post DM. I hope I am wrong... but the game against toe early concerns me. If we can’t run and they just pin their ears back our o line will be in trouble.

Other games that could be problematic:

KSU
TCU
TTU
Baylor

That is in addition to obvious ones... OU, Tex.

I feel like we should get to 8 wins again and could beat that... but, we need to be much better on the offensive line to avoid a slow start and have a chance at 10 wins.

Yeah, and guess what? They lose key players too.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron