2021 Football Targets

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I find this an intriguing conundrum. You say to trust camp evaluations, but you also imply that Joey Petersen may be the weak link in the class. I’d be reasonably sure he’s been to Cyclone summer camps, so how’s that work?

Plus, with a dad who was a two time all Big 8 selection and Zach for a brother, that’s pretty good bloodlines. I recall that Zach was borderline enough that he going to be a grayshirt before a scholarship opened up, but he’s turned out to be one of the more impressive athletes on the team—going from a listed 6’4” 225 to a listed 6’5” 263. Campbell said he looks like the Hulk. And Rivals currently has Joey at 6’4” 215.

So, just curious, what’s the issue people have with the younger Petersen?

Game 1 from this year

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
So Robert Army will be a safety at ISU? That is news to me. I thought he had a lot of potential at WR. We have a ton of young safeties. I do like how some DB's have been able to play both corner and safety under Campbell and staff.

I like this recruiting class for the most part but there a couple guys I am scratching my head on. Sauser being one of them. I do think Bonifas could be really good in a few years though.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
So Robert Army will be a safety at ISU? That is news to me. I thought he had a lot of potential at WR. We have a ton of young safeties. I do like how some DB's have been able to play both corner and safety under Campbell and staff.

I like this recruiting class for the most part but there a couple guys I am scratching my head on. Sauser being one of them. I do think Bonifas could be really good in a few years though.
Robert Army is a much better prospect at Safety than WR IMO. He doesn't have the speed and separation ability to play in the Big-12. He's due for a huge ratings bump as a Safety.

As for Sauser, We are lucky that we have the ability to miss on a OL or two now. We have great young talent in the OL room. Not saying that Sauser doesn't have it, but we can afford to miss on one of our OL recruits since we are starting to see depth there.

Reactions: demoncore1031

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

I don't see a huge difference between these ratings and Remsburg has seen the field as a RS FR this year.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I don't see a huge difference between these ratings and Remsburg has seen the field as a RS FR this year.
I always thought Remsburg was under rated. Simmons was definitely under rated. He has the potential to be great.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Robert Army is a much better prospect at Safety than WR IMO. He doesn't have the speed and separation ability to play in the Big-12. He's due for a huge ratings bump as a Safety.

As for Sauser, We are lucky that we have the ability to miss on a OL or two now. We have great young talent in the OL room. Not saying that Sauser doesn't have it, but we can afford to miss on one of our OL recruits since we are starting to see depth there.
Any idea why we have so many safeties in the last two classes? I think Army puts it at 7 or 8. I know playing 3 safeties at a time they need to keep bringing kids in at the position but I guess it surprises me a bit just how many they sign. I'm sure some of the safeties can move to corner if needed - Miller and King come to mind.

I'm excited about this Freyler kid. He has to improve in certain areas, but he seems like a smart and very coachable kid.

I hope we land Nwangpa and Howard in the 2022 class.

Reactions: WesleyE

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Any idea why we have so many safeties in the last two classes? I think Army puts it at 7 or 8. I know playing 3 safeties at a time they need to keep bringing kids in at the position but I guess it surprises me a bit just how many they sign. I'm sure some of the safeties can move to corner if needed - Miller and King come to mind.

I'm excited about this Freyler kid. He has to improve in certain areas, but he seems like a smart and very coachable kid.

We arent going to land Nwankpa.
Miller and King were recruited as CBs.
We try to land 3 safeties per class. We try to reload every position for the most part.
As for why we need them, we lost Keontae Jones and a few others, we haven’t heard ANYTHING about Vonzell Kelley or Virdel Edwards. We are VERY thin at safety since we play 3 guys. We need EVERY safety we can get.
I LOVE Craig Macdonald.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
We arent going to land Nwankpa.
Miller and King were recruited as CBs.
We try to land 3 safeties per class. We try to reload every position for the most part.
As for why we need them, we lost Keontae Jones and a few others, we haven’t heard ANYTHING about Vonzell Kelley or Virdel Edwards. We are VERY thin at safety since we play 3 guys. We need EVERY safety we can get.
I LOVE Craig Macdonald.
I like McDonald as well. I think he has the highest ceiling of all three of last year's safety commits. I forgot all about Kelley and Edwards. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both transferred out at some point. Is Keontae playing anywhere this year? I can't find anything on if he landed anywhere.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I like McDonald as well. I think he has the highest ceiling of all three of last year's safety commits. I forgot all about Kelley and Edwards. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both transferred out at some point. Is Keontae playing anywhere this year? I can't find anything on if he landed anywhere.
MacDonald is going to be awesome. I think he slides into Lawrence White's role nicely. I like Mason Chambers as well. I haven't heard much about him, but he is a physical dude that would work well for run support.

I was not very high on Kelley and Edwards when we landed them. I didn't see much pop and dominance in their play that I see with Army and Freyler. Those guys are going to be studs.

The safety position is such a critical piece in our defense. One weak link and it ruins our coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's class is filled with safeties as well. We need to load that room.

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008

Turn on the film. Sauser plays nasty on the oline and is a finisher. Glad he’s a Cyclone. Saw Grinnell at Clear Creek last week. That Grinnell RB is really good, but that oline is good. Think they rushed for over 400 and they weren’t running away from TJ Bollers

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The corollary to this statement is that there is enough talent in the OL room (especially on the interior) that Jeff Myers doesn’t have to recruit someone just to fill a roster spot, someone he doesn’t really want to.

My only concern is that when Dodge gets up around 300, he might lose some of that excellent athleticism—but that doesn’t happen all that often.
MacDonald is going to be awesome. I think he slides into Lawrence White's role nicely. I like Mason Chambers as well. I haven't heard much about him, but he is a physical dude that would work well for run support.

I was not very high on Kelley and Edwards when we landed them. I didn't see much pop and dominance in their play that I see with Army and Freyler. Those guys are going to be studs.

The safety position is such a critical piece in our defense. One weak link and it ruins our coverage. I wouldn't be surprised if next year's class is filled with safeties as well. We need to load that room.
I didn’t have any complaints about the last couple classes of safeties—they certainly haven’t had time to pan out yet—but the commits in the current class kinda feel like we’re overrecruiting all of them. Especially if Frazier doesn’t stick at corner. I’m agog.

Not that that’s a bad thing. I just didn’t want to say it and make the current freshmen feel bad.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I think we have so many safeties in this class because it’s scheduled to be the one position on the team that could be vulnerable after this season (pre-COVID eligibility changes).

Enyi and JaQuan were scheduled to graduate, but with Zach and Will (plus a bunch of youngsters), the DE’s aren’t going to miss a beat. The TE’s should be fine, with Dean, Loving-Black and Hanika—and there’s a chance Charlie comes back. Plus, Moore looks like he might be ready to contribute. That room is stuffed.

The safeties are more number intensive, and Eisworth, White and Azuna are all set to graduate. Sure, they can rebuild with Isheem (probably switching to SS), but he looks like a three-and-done right now. And D.J. Miller needs to add muscle to be a full time P5 player.

What they’re doing is stuffing the safety room with as much talent as possible, in hopes the unit keeps up with the rest of a loaded ‘21 team. I think that Freyler and the JC kid Langston may both be early enrollees, so the staff may just pull that off.

Heck yes, I’m excited!

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

I saw Kohl's kicking camp has him ranked as the #1 kicker, also going to play in the Under Armour all-american game. Coach Kohl was my high school kicking coach. I trust his kicking evaluations

Here is the link to his Kohl's kicking camp page

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I saw Kohl's kicking camp has him ranked as the #1 kicker, also going to play in the Under Armour all-american game. Coach Kohl was my high school kicking coach. I trust his kicking evaluations

Here is the link to his Kohl's kicking camp page

Yeah he's a stud

Help Support Us

Become a patron